Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 12:17:08 PM EDT
I was talking to a guy I know, who has an FFL, talked about guns, he told me I can get a free transfer (he'll do the paperwork for free) on my next (first) gun. Since you can only get one first gun, I'm thinking about what it should be. A hand gun or rifle?

I'm thinking about starting a project and building an AR, it'll keep me occupied for a while. I found an Aero Precision lower for $80 bucks, good price, but is it good or junk? Or if I get a handgun, I'm thinking 1911.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I was talking to a guy I know, who has an FFL, talked about guns, he told me I can get a free transfer (he'll do the paperwork for free) on my next (first) gun. Since you can only get one first gun, I'm thinking about what it should be. A hand gun or rifle?

I'm thinking about starting a project and building an AR, it'll keep me occupied for a while. I found an Aero Precision lower for $80 bucks, good price, but is it good or junk? Or if I get a handgun, I'm thinking 1911.

What do you guys think?

Aero is good to go.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
My first gun was my AR.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
yep buy a lower

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
MM23e

Do you think they'd take a car for it?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
MM23e

They actually have one of those at the local overpriced gun shop. They want $16,000 for it. EVERYTHING in the shop is like that. They have two M9s for $750.

Yet they only charge $35 for internet transfers.

ETA: Last time I was in the shop some guy was talking about how people who do internet transfers are stupid because you can usually find the same gun for cheaper in the receiving store.... being that the owner was standing right next to me I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying "not much chance of that here"
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MM23e

They actually have one of those at the local overpriced gun shop. They want $16,000 for it. EVERYTHING in the shop is like that. They have two M9s for $750.

ETA: Last time I was in the shop some guy was talking about how people who do internet transfers are stupid because you can usually find the same gun for cheaper in the receiving store.... being that the owner was standing right next to me I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying "not much chance of that here"

Nice, the only other local guy around here charges $75. I laughed in his face and left.

I'm not paying double for a lower.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MM23e

Nice, the only other local guy around here charges $75. I laughed in his face and left.

I'm not paying double for a lower.

There's another store in the area. They have an indoor range and teach classes so they get more business from me (though I've never bought a gun there). Their selection is worse and their prices are higher. And they charge $200 for transfers
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep get an AR, definitely.

Or an AK...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]
either an ar ak-47 or a sig sauer p220.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]
You're asking us because???

Get a 1911
or an AR15
or a Glock
or a S&W M&P
or a Colt Python
or a Mossberg
or Savage
or a Remington...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Get a 1911

or an AR15

or a Glock

or a S&W M&P

or a Colt Python

or a Mossberg

or Savage

or a Remington...
or anything in the 40 watt line and above....

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Get a 1911
or an AR15
or a Glock
or a S&W M&P
or a Colt Python
or a Mossberg
or Savage
or a Remington...

Because there are a lot of "or"s in your post. I'd like to eliminate a few.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Budget?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you ccw in your state? if so then get a hangun imo. if not then build a AR
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can you ccw in your state? if so then get a hangun imo. if not then build a AR

LOL.. MD.

With a death threat personally signed by the person who wants to kill me, I have a 30% chance of getting one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Gen 3 G19

/thread
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What do you guys think?

Barret .50!

It's a free transfer for crying out loud. Go BIG!

edit to add: or get the MM23!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#19]
get a P228 if you find a nice one or a P220 both should be Made in West Germany. Those are great guns

enjoy your first one
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#20]
First gun should be a 9mm Glock.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you have a rifle yet?

Go with the AR.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
First gun should be a 9mm Glock.

How dare you recommend me a Glock!

Quoted:
Do you have a rifle yet?

Go with the AR.

First gun altogether, so no.

I'm probably gonna get that AP lower.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#23]
You know what, stupid question, but... do I buy the lower FIRST or do I get the FFL info faxed first?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a 1911
or an AR15
or a Glock
or a S&W M&P
or a Colt Python
or a Mossberg
or Savage
or a Remington.

Narrowed it down a bit for you
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#25]
My first gun was 10/22 when I was 18. If I would have been allowed to by a handgun at 18 as my first gun I would of done that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#26]
A 1911 would be much cooler than a stripped lower for your first gun. Having said that, your first gun should be a good .22, That is the one basic gun that everyone should own. it's versatility is unmatched by any other gun. Cheap to shoot as well. Instead of paying for AR parts, you could spend the summer shooting a LOT of ammo through the .22.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A 1911 would be much cooler than a stripped lower for your first gun. Having said that, your first gun should be a good .22, That is the one basic gun that everyone should own. it's versatility is unmatched by any other gun. Cheap to shoot as well. Instead of paying for AR parts, you could spend the summer shooting a LOT of ammo through the .22.

I already have a lot of .223 to shoot. I found a can in the woods full of rounds.

The rounds smell like weed, though.

ETA: I had considered buying an Henry .22
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I already have a lot of .223 to shoot. I found a can in the woods full of rounds.

what?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

what?  

If you smell a bullet from the box I got them from, they have the fragrance of Marijuana.

ETA: It's kind of irrelevant.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You know what, stupid question, but... do I buy the lower FIRST or do I get the FFL info faxed first?

Bump for this question. I want to order tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Quoted:

generally you settle up the deal  with the seller first then get the FFL faxed/emailed to the seller

at least that how most of  the 20+ internet/phone sales  a day I deal with go

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#32]
over 8000 posts and dont even own a gun?  How old are you?  not trying to bash, just wondering.  

go glock/AR
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I have unlimited free transfers for the rest of the year for being a good customer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I buy a lot of guns online. I always send them together. Go to FFL and pick up a FFL copy let them know what is coming, then go send the money order and FFL together. Some dealers won't give you a FFL and want to fax/email it...I guess that would change things.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My first gun was 10/22 when I was 18. If I would have been allowed to by a handgun at 18 as my first gun I would of done that.

Most states allow purchase of handgun at 18, but you must buy privately not from a dealer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I buy a lot of guns online. I always send them together. Go to FFL and pick up a FFL copy let them know what is coming, then go send the money order and FFL together. Some dealers won't give you a FFL and want to fax/email it...I guess that would change things.

Wish everyone would do that

instead they send a personal check with absolutely no info as to what it is for

and then the FFL faxes  1/2 of a FFL all grainy and illegible again with no info as to what it is for

I shouldn't bitch too much that only covers 25% of them

you think end users are bad you should try dealing with a couple hundred different FFLs a week

god bless you guys both customers and FFLs that send shit with infowith it

90% of my job deals with tracking down dumbasses that think we are psychic or only have 1-2 customers and should surly know what this FFL/payment is for

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a 1911

or an AR15

or a Glock

or a S&W M&P

or a Colt Python

or a Mossberg

or Savage

or a Remington.

Narrowed it down a bit for you

That looks good. OP, he's made it easier for you with a good list. I'd get something ready for self defense and then build, not the other way around.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top