Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 8:27:16 AM EDT
For those of you that have these screwdrivers...

I am a little confused on the two different handles that are available for the snap-on screwdrivers.  They offer a 'hard' and 'soft' handle.  My assumption is that the 'hard' handle is made from hard plastic.  However I would like to know what material are the 'soft' handle versions made from.  Are they made from a soft foam like material or are they just a softer plastic or a combo of hard and soft materials.

Thank you..
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Will the soft handle philips work on screws that were put in using a hard handled screwdriver?

Not Snap-On specific, but in my general tool experience, the hard handles are always going to be easier to clean.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Will the soft handle philips work on screws that were put in using a hard handled screwdriver?

Not Snap-On specific, but in my general tool experience, the hard handles are always going to be easier to clean.

Why did kcolg30 create that thread.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the soft handles that is what all my snap on tools have
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the hard handles in the Snap-On line. They are easy to clean.My favorites are the Cornwell screwdrivers. I picked them up new,or almost new, at a pawnshop and really like the way they feel. They are also easy to clean and have a strange fuzzy insert on the sides that makes them grippy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I like the soft handles that is what all my snap on tools have

What type of material is it made from.  Is it all foam like or just soft rubber?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did kcolg30 create that thread.

Sorry man, you're never going to hear the end of that one.

Serious answer, hard handles will be easier to clean, more durable and will be the better choice.

Soft handles, a little more comfortable to hold in your hands and nicer to grip.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I have both and like both - some black handles form the 70s, and some soft handles from about 10 years ago.

The hard handles can be a tad slippery, but are easy to clean and are extremely rugged.  The soft handles are comfortable and seem to give a better grip, but feel really grimy when dirty.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Just picked these up this week in addition to the same two in Orange last week.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just picked these up this week in addition to the same two in Orange last week.http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz95/VictorCastle/SnapOnScrewdrivers.jpg

Nice..

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I dunno, I don't have either.  But I've just been buying some new tools and this is the best place I've found for tool info, e.g.:

Thread of Snap-On screwdrivers at GarageJournal Tool Forums

Kinda looks like most like the hard.  The guys on that forums are hard core tool junkies, kinda like this forum is for gun expert/junkies.  

BTW, I needed another, good ratcheting screwdriver, so based on what I read on those forums, I just got the German made Wiha Topra Ratcheting screwdriver

I also got some ratchets (socket wrenches).  

Those forums are real good for finding less expensive, but still great tools.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the hard plastic handles because they hold up to abuse better. I've ran a couple of my screw drivers over with a excavator and they held up great. It didn't bend the driver but the grousers left a mark on the handle. I haven't even tried to warranty them because they still work, plus if they decide to walk off I will be able to tell its mine.  I've seen the rubber on the soft grip handles come off of tools that get used quit a bit especially on ratchet handles.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I like soft handles for screws I am rotating clockwaise and hard handles for screws I am rotating anticlockwise, but reverse that for left handed threads.

Based on that you need and should get both.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top