Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 6:54:43 AM EDT

I went in for a ipod hookup and left with a new system. Clarion NX501....this thing has everything. Now I've got to get the wife something to stay out of trouble.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
needs more navigation.

Just kidding I am sure it is bad ass. You get a lot of car stereo for your money these days. No doubt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#2]
pics or it didn't happen
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#3]
had to go and look at it.

nice multi media setup.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:22:05 AM EDT
[#4]
People still make aftermarket car stereos?

That was a huge deal in the 80s / early 90s.  But these days, it seems like stereos are built in with AC, navigation, etc. and are nonstandard sizes.  That, and factory stereos and speakers are so good, why spend a bunch of money to replace them unless you're really, really picky?  I used to love that crap when I was a kid... I remember spending $3600 on an Eclipse head unit, amplifier, CD changer, crossover, speakers, two 10" subs and a custom box in my king-cab Nissan.  Oh, and an alarm that didn't do much when it was all stolen.  I've been perfectly content with factory radios ever since.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That was a huge deal in the 80s / early 90s. But these days, it seems like stereos are built in with AC, navigation, etc. and are nonstandard sizes. That, and factory stereos and speakers are so good, why spend a bunch of money to replace them unless you're really, really picky? I used to love that crap when I was a kid... I remember spending $3600 on an Eclipse head unit, amplifier, CD changer, crossover, speakers, two 10" subs and a custom box in my king-cab Nissan. Oh, and an alarm that didn't do much when it was all stolen. I've been perfectly content with factory radios ever since.

I had a factory Bose (BLOWS) system and I was on my seconds set of speakers so just desided to upgrade.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That was a huge deal in the 80s / early 90s.  But these days, it seems like stereos are built in with AC, navigation, etc. and are nonstandard sizes.  That, and factory stereos and speakers are so good, why spend a bunch of money to replace them unless you're really, really picky?  I used to love that crap when I was a kid... I remember spending $3600 on an Eclipse head unit, amplifier, CD changer, crossover, speakers, two 10" subs and a custom box in my king-cab Nissan.  Oh, and an alarm that didn't do much when it was all stolen.  I've been perfectly content with factory radios ever since.

Factory equipment still blows, always has.  We have an industry where people have been led to believe the quality of a system is a product of the number of speakers, for pete's sake.  Why don't you give me two decent speakers and not 8 shitty ones?  Is that too much to ask?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Factory equipment still blows, always has.  We have an industry where people have been led to believe the quality of a system is a product of the number of speakers, for pete's sake.  Why don't you give me two decent speakers and not 8 shitty ones?  Is that too much to ask?
I used to install custom audio both for simple aftermarket installs as well as competition. I haven't had an aftermarket unit in either of my last two vehicles because the factory units were quite good. Of course, I did order both vehicles with the upgraded audio package, so maybe we're not quite apples to apples, but I do challenge the assertion that "factory equipment still blows" or that it's all about the number of speakers. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for - and more often than not "good enough" is all that's needed.

Another factor is how people buy cars. Buy a car off the lot and you'll have to take what the dealer thought would be a sellable car. Want your car? Order from the factory - or at least order from a network of dealers that will find the car that has your options on a lot somewhere in the network.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top