Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 4:54:04 AM EDT

WTF takes so long? I applied for mine in feb and my passport is still processing in their South carolina office.. I thought I was allowing enough time for a travel date of 15-may, but now they are telling me I need to pay $75 to "expedite" it.. My girl friend and I sent ours out together and she got hers back after three weeks.. I do know they make a mistake on mine when someone entered it into the system by putting my last name as my first name, but that was corrected in early march.. Is paying there ransom fee the only way to get it in time? The people on the phone there just keep saying 4-6 is the average time.. I guess it's government bureaucracy, I'm willing to bet private sector turn around on this would be a week or less..

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I think I got mine about two weeks after I applied for it. This was in Dallas in the summer of 2009.

My advice? Don't apply for a passport less than six months before you plan on using it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Why did your post show up so tiny ?

I gotta go find better reading glasses......
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Why did your post show up so tiny ?

I gotta go find better reading glasses......

and in a gray box, I have no idea..

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]
After looking at the 4-6 week projected wait. I when with one of the companies that provide expedited service.

Sent it Fed Ex on a Monday, and had it back on a Friday, but of course it cost an extra $150. The company reimbursed me though.

This was a renewal, but they handle first time requests as well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:03:31 AM EDT
[#5]
My passport runs out this month , don't think I'll renew it cause I haven't used it in a few years now !
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know what takes so long but that happened to my GF on a renewal, at this point you just better pony up the additional $75, she went to the nearest office paid the $75 and was out of there in about an hour passport in hand.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:11:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I got mine in less than a month and did not use the expedited service.  You sure you aren't wanted for something?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:32:05 AM EDT
[#8]
They messed up, so yours got recycled back into the system, right as all the summer vacation orders showed up.
Sucks.

Get out your wallet, or call your senator.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:59:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Call your congressman's office, ask to speak to the aide that handles constituent services and describe your situation.
It will be fixed very quickly.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:01:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Took the Family for ours the week the gov't shut down was brewing and recieved ours in two weeks.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
WTF takes so long? I applied for mine in feb and my passport is still processing in their South carolina office.. I thought I was allowing enough time for a travel date of 15-may, but now they are telling me I need to pay $75 to "expedite" it.. My girl friend and I sent ours out together and she got hers back after three weeks.. I do know they make a mistake on mine when someone entered it into the system by putting my last name as my first name, but that was corrected in early march.. Is paying there ransom fee the only way to get it in time? The people on the phone there just keep saying 4-6 is the average time.. I guess it's government bureaucracy, I'm willing to bet private sector turn around on this would be a week or less..

Uh-oh........got mine in 10 days a half-year ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Me and the wife renewed ours back in Feb of this year...2 weeks turn-around!  I was impressed!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I needed mine in a month and I expedited it.  Got it in 10 days I believe.  That was in late February.  It's worth the $$ not worrying about it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Check with the .gov union boss .......................................

There may be an anti-gov-shutdown work-stoppage thingy happening.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Both my US passports were processed very quickly. One is the official super secret squirrel passport, and the other is the tourist passport.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Both my US passports were processed very quickly. One is the official super secret squirrel passport, and the other is the tourist passport.

How do I get one of those?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Not sure why that is taking so long. I applied for mine two years ago.. I quite literally had it in hand 4 business days later. I applied a Friday morning it arrived in the mail Wednesday afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#18]
When the govt changed rules and required passports to travel to Mexico and Canada, the wait for passports was several months.

Awhile back it took 5 months to get my official passport... after they lost my paperwork twice.

Good luck. Call someone with some power or pay the $75.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I applied in April had it in less that 3 weeks. My son applied a week after me, recieved it a day later than I did.. I've heard they don't actually make them in the US, wish I could find the link.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Travel alot for work so I have two passports. Learn the ropes and pay the expediting fee.
Or get your company to pay it like I do.
Wait till you have to pay a company to handle your foreign work visas. Big scam from the
company and also the country you are visiting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#21]
How legal are Indian Nation passports?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Only took 3 weeks to get mine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I guess it's government bureaucracy, I'm willing to bet private sector turn around on this would be a week or less..

You do realize that the government doesn't actually make the passport.

Because of the types of security features in all passports (types of print, etc), passports from many different countries are made by the same private company.  3M use to do a lot of passports, not sure who else does them, or how many different companies there are nowadays though.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do I get one of those?

They're free!

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_836.html

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I dropped my application off at the Post Office on a Monday morning and it arrived in the mail the following Wednesday- using the standard service. No reason for it to take 4-6 weeks.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Glenn Beck reported the State Department is requiring bizarre questions on passport applications now.  Like 'Have you been circumsized?', 'who was present at your birth?' and 'List every address and employer you have ever had'.

http://www.consumertraveler.com/today/state-dept-wants-to-make-it-harder-to-get-a-passport/

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm never using the post office for mine again. Sent in my application in late 2006 with an expected travel date of early April 2007. Local post office sent the package with 7 other applications to the New Orleans passport office ... New Orleans office signed for the package and cashed my check for the application fee... then nothing. I kept checking the passport website to see what the status of my application was and nothing ever showed up ... got to be 3 weeks before I was supposed to head to Germany and still nothing. Went down to the post office to try and get some answers ... postmaster eventually had to call down to the New Orleans office to find out that none of the 8 people whose applications were sent in together had received passports ... So I had to get a new birth certificate from the state of Iowa $150 ... then because there was only 2 weeks before I was supposed to travel there wasn't enough time to expedite my application.  My two choices were to pay a company in Washington DC to hand deliver my application or to make an appointment at the New Orleans branch and deliver it myself. So ... ups delivery to Washington DC $15 ... paying company to hand deliver $150 ... ups back to me $15 ... total cost for learning never to trust government employees to do their job $330 + having to pay the application fee twice.

But I did get something in the end ... I learned that if you have your passport done in Washington DC that instead of the boring blue passport pages you get colorful pictures of national monuments.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

How legal are Indian Nation passports?

About as legal as those from Kosovo, Transnistria, South Ossetia or Western Sahara.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My passport runs out this month , don't think I'll renew it cause I haven't used it in a few years now !

Can't hurt to have one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think I got mine about two weeks after I applied for it. This was in Dallas in the summer of 2009.

My advice? Don't apply for a passport less than six months before you plan on using it.

this was my experience last oct too. got it in about 2 weeks (did not pay the extra for the expedited service either). Applied in my home town and it was fulfiled by the Chicago office.

OP maybe there was an error or something on your application that they are having a problem with?

J-

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Got mine last summer two weeks to the day after it was mailed. So processing took a few days less. That was last summer so things may have changed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine took 3 weeks, but the dicks have lost my birth certificate.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mine took 3 weeks, but the dicks have lost my birth certificate.

That's the one thing that always worried me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top