Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2011 10:39:15 PM EDT
9th Company (2005)

All I can say is falling asleep on watch in the Russian Army (U.S.S.R. back then) was not a smart thing to do.

Anyway, pretty good flick. Takes place in 1988, Afghanistan.

I gotta say, that "Snow White" girl is way too pretty to be a barracks slut. No way.

ETA, I also like how they issue the machinegunner a PK machine gun with the barrel bent to shit (previous owner killed) because the armorer sells the new ones. Now, I have a hard time believing this because everything I have heard about the USSR back then makes me think they would never screw their own guys that way. The armor would be dealt with harshly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
it was a decent flick
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
First half was pretty slow and kinda weird at times but once they got to Afghan it was a pretty damn good flick.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
pretty good movie, lots of AK-74 pron
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked it enough that I bought a used copy from Redbox for $5.  It made me thankful that my own experience in Afghanistan was NOTHING like that portrayed in the movie.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely worth watching, if for no other reason than to get another point of view.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I liked it enough that I bought a used copy from Redbox for $5.  It made me thankful that my own experience in Afghanistan was NOTHING like that portrayed in the movie.

Nor is our mission. It has nothing in common with what the U.S.S.R. was doing there AT ALL.

And thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I take it there is a english dubbed or subtitled version?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I take it there is a english dubbed or subtitled version?

Subtitled.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have a big TV and a Blu-Ray player it looks amazing. It's more or less the Russian "Heartbreak Ridge," but with a hell of a lot better cinematography.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#10]
It's said to be based to real events, but I have a hard time believing the hajis would make a frontal assault in broad daylight on a Russian FOB. That would be suicide.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:26:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's said to be based to real events, but I have a hard time believing the hajis would make a frontal assault in broad daylight on a Russian FOB. That would be suicide.

It is, but the movie varies substantially from the true battle.  I think only about nine soldiers were killed in the actual 9th Company battle.  The film only shows a single survivor, if I remember correctly.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#12]
My dad watched that last night.

Dunno if he liked it or not though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:29:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I wish to first thank all of those who served or are currently serving our country, regardless of time or situation.  As to the movie, I watched it to see Spetznaz from the time period I was serving.  At Ramstein Air Base we were supposedly going to be visited by the troops shown in the movie in the event of WW3 in the 1980s.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:39:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First half was pretty slow and kinda weird at times but once they got to Afghan it was a pretty damn good flick.

Pretty well sums it up.  Much better cinematography than most war films, too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
9th Company (2005)

All I can say is falling asleep on watch in the Russian Army (U.S.S.R. back then) was not a smart thing to do.

I gotta say, that "Snow White" girl is way too pretty to be a barracks slut. No way.

ETA, I also like how they issue the machinegunner a PK machine gun with the barrel bent to shit (previous owner killed) because the armorer sells the new ones. Now, I have a hard time believing this because everything I have heard about the USSR back then makes me think they would never screw their own guys that way. The armor would be dealt with harshly.

If you think this then you really need to up your standards.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
9th Company (2005)

I actually created a 9th company thread a few weeks back.

If you think the USSR took care of its troops, you need to read more.

I read the book by the MiG-25 pilot whio defected. He told about a pilot who crashed inside the USSR and survived the crash but died of exposure on the ground. His remains were found, he wrote a note trashing the USSR for the way it treated its pilots, including not even providing a pistol.

Recently there have been stories of soldiers being used in the sex trade by their NCOs in Russia. Soviet Union was every bit as bad.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Old battered PKMs for the win!

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
9th Company (2005)

No Shit.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I really liked the movie. But several things bugged me about it.

One was the frontal assault. While I suspect they would launch a frontal day assault, I don't think it would look like that. I think it would look more like a half dozen guys sprinting from one cover to another, at any one moment, while others lay down supressive fire. I think most attackers would be behind cover at any given moment.

The other thing was how the Soviet soldiers bunched up in some of the combat scenes.

On the other hand, from a movie making perspective perhaps it makes better sense to do it that way. Perhaps it imparts more emotional intensity to the average viewer.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
9th Company (2005)

No Shit.....

Ditto....I thought she was hideous.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I thought hot body, with a decent enough face.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Built like a british chick 'eh!

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

9th Company (2005)

No Shit.....

Her Slavic sluttiness makes up for it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#24]
like the movie The Beast?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#25]
GODDESS GODDESS
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, if you brown bag 'em, doesn't matter .
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

looks like they filmed the movie 9th Company in the same country they filmed The BEAST?

the Beast was filmed on location in Israel and they used old Soviet T 55 tanks that were modified by the IDF

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

looks like they filmed the movie 9th Company in the same country they filmed The BEAST?

the Beast was filmed on location in Israel and they used old Soviet T 55 tanks that were modified by the IDF

9th Company was filmed in Tajikstan, IIRC.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I have it on DVD, region code free.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#30]
There's a game for it, too...clips of the movie in the game.

Control is pretty crappy in it...but overall not too horrible. Might still be on steam...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top