Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 6:04:10 PM EDT
Finally got a weekend off from work, a three day weekend at that, so I figured I'd do something constructive with my time. I've been planning to build another FAL from the pile of spare parts I have laying around. The idea was to make it somewhat lightweight, at least light for an FAL anyway. I wanted to eliminate any unnecessary weight like a bipod or muzzle attachment.
It's a mishmash of parts. The receiver is an Entreprise. Sure, I would prefer an Imbel or DSA, but this one only cost me $150.

The barrel came from a South African parts kit I got from Federal Arms Corp almost ten years ago that someone had hacksawed right behind the muzzle. I cut the barrel down to 17" and put a rudimentary crown using a bolt chucked in a drill and polishing paste.
The lower is from a G1 parts kit. It has lightening cuts milled on the inside, so I figured that should save a bit of weight.
The handguard and buttstock are both from an STG-58 parts kit. They were the lightest of the furniture I had to choose from in my pile of parts.
The finish is just basic spray paint. I don't mind wear and scratches on this rifle, since it's made to shoot and not look pretty. The pics make the colors look white and black, but it's actually light gray and black.
The end product came out to 9 lbs 5oz. Hardly a lightweight, but this is an FAL we are talking about.
And now for some crappy cell phone pics.

My caveman, do-it-yourself muzzle crown

My homemade sling attachment.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You fighting in the snow in Florida?  Love FAL's.

edit: Oh, light gray and black.. urban fighting i can see.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say you made some good use out of your weekend time off there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a similar one built on a Century receiver(not a unibrow) but it has a flash hider and crappy factory finish.    I never weighed it though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You fighting in the snow in Florida?  Love FAL's.

edit: Oh, light gray and black.. urban fighting i can see.

I think I was inspired by futuristic, sci-fi type weapons. I was probably thinking of playing Halo at the time.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it belongs to a storm trooper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good. I can build ARs, but I wish I could do more than just that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you built a FAL before? I need to get an upper,.but then I'm not sure if I wat to try building it myself or sending it off to a smith. Loo ks a bit more involved than assembling an ar.

Edit: I can't stand androids swpye program making it seem like I have no grasp on spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Have you built a FAL before? I need to get an upper,.but then I'm not sure if I wat to try building it myself or sending it off to a smith. Loo ks a bit more involved than assembling an ar.

Indeed I have

Back when parts were cheap, it was worth it to buy the tools to build a few yourself. Now that parts are expensive and hard to find, you might be better off paying a smith if you will only want one. It is a more involved process than ARs, but not as much a pain in the ass as AKs.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice new truck gun you got there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Got to take it out for a test-fire today.

It looks like saving money on the Entreprise receiver is going to cost me with my time.

Well, I guess I have next weekend already planned.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Edit: I can't stand androids swpye program making it seem like I have no grasp on spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

There are quite a few guys in AZ that build FALs.  Join FALFILESdotCOM and check it out.

If you can't find any in AZ, there are a few guys here in NM that can help you out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top