Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 6:03:10 PM EDT
I'm in the process of laying down the kitchen tile, been drinking all day, and it looks kinda funny

What have I done

I'm going to have a three inch strip around the outer edge, you can see part of it sitting there in one pic.. IDK
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm in the process of laying down the kitchen tile, been drinking all day, and it looks kinda funny

What have I done

It's not the laying of tile so much it is the picking back up of the drunken mistakes that is the hard part especially if it is dry.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
pics so we can all share the laughter?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
don't worry it's only cement...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If you messed it up, be sure to rip it up in the morning before it is completely dry.  The tiles come up easy, you can scrape the thin set off the floor, and then start over.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll have pics when its done If I don't take a sledgehammer to it tonight haha
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If you post pics now, we might be able to correct the problem.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^

I was kidding about the laughter thing, I just want to see what you did.

Did you lay and cut the tiles out before applying thinset, or did you just start from a corner and go?

Details man...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I laid a fuckton of tile in our first house.  It's a learning process.  If it doesn't look good pull it up before it sets so you don't waste the tiles, then scrape the floor clean and try again.  Laying tile is stupid easy in theory but quite difficult in practice.  If you'e at least marginally good at working with your hands you will be able to turn out a nice job.  Just do it while you're sober.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^  

Did you lay and cut the tiles out before applying thinset, or did you just start from a corner and go?

Details man...

I got the center of the wall I am starting from, cut the tiles the way I wanted, and laid the redguard stuff. Then I put the thinset down, started putting tiles, working from one corner to the other, to get one row done. Now Im just working out from the way.

My problem is I was a little messy, and have thinset on the tops of the ceramic tile, so I need to clean that off... any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I have really bad astigmatism and I'm dreading laying tile.  I plan to cheat by using lasers and long pieces of precision metal stock and stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it looks OK.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#13]

How'd you get in my house

Pictures inbound
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Just step back and take a moment or two without looking at your work. You have been working on top of it and are highly focused on every small detail. Take about five or ten minutes to relax. Go back in and then reevaluate the situation.It doesn't hurt to ask the opinion of a trusted third party a third party If it still looks like hell to you then you know what to do. The thinset should come off. It looked good from the photos I saw.

Edited to say I reread the post and saw the drinking part. So step back long enough for the beer goggles to wear off and then reevaluate.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Is that 1/4 round I see?  Why is it there?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Is this a joke, I thought the plastic spacers layed flat at each corner?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#17]
You're supposed to cut all your tiles & test fit everything before you start cementing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You can do it either way
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#19]
OH GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!?  

GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!! DON'T FORGET TO TURN OFF THE GAS!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, it looks fine. Take a sponge and clean the thinset off the tiles, but not so vigorously that you break them loose.

It's easier to do this as you're putting them in, but I guarantee that your job isn't the first time this has happened.

Whatever doesn't wipe off will scrape off tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you do that they tend to sink into the thinset. He's doing it right.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Wow... that room reminds me exactly of a house I looked at in Chandler/Tempe about 8-10months ago.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Doesn't look bad.

Keep up the hard work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^  

Details man...

I got the center of the wall I am starting from, cut the tiles the way I wanted, and laid the redguard stuff. Then I put the thinset down, started putting tiles, working from one corner to the other, to get one row done. Now Im just working out from the way.

My problem is I was a little messy, and have thinset on the tops of the ceramic tile, so I need to clean that off... any ideas?

When it's safe to walk on the floor again, scrape it off.

Not hard to do.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#24]
If it's dried and you've got stubborn haze on the tops of the tile, and they've got a glass glazed top,and aren't a porous tile like terra cotta or something, just use a sponge and a dilute wash of muriatic acid, or Lime-Away toilet cleaner. It'll break up the thinset.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been learning tile on a friends house all day, don't do that to me!    Looks fine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Relax.  I ran chainsaw for 8 hours today, had some beers and still managed to come home with all my fingers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I did a few more rows, then ran out of thinset So, now I'm just scrubbing the tile tops and they are cleaning up nicely. Gonna hit up Mexiworld tomorrow morning and stock up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not seeing the looks funny part. To me, it looks like you're doing a fine job. Anything you get on top will scrape off or wash off with acid. Just do it before you grout.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Even wimmins' can lay tile...

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#30]
not much of a tile man, I prefer laying pipe!

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#31]
WTF is this shit?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#32]

It's my border... Gonna run those strips down the sides

ETA: I turned the lights out, and my floor looks like a bleak graveyard site, with the white crosses sticking out everywhere
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

NOOOOOOoooooooo, don't do that. Then you have to pry every one out when you're done.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't see the problem... looks fine to me (someone who has never done tile)
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#35]
You're not doing a bad job, I've seen a lot worse.

We have that same exact tile in our Kitchen, it's pretty good tile for the price.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks fine.  Porcelain tile is usually out of square by 1/32 or so.  It will look much better once you grout it.

I built this

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Looks fine.  Porcelain tile is usually out of square by 1/32 or so.  It will look much better once you grout it.

I built this

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/schkoot/1274034117.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/schkoot/1274034078.jpg

That is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. I think I know what I'm gonna do next

Did you use backer board to do the uprights? Or just slop on the mix and place the tiles?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I built this

That is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. I think I know what I'm gonna do next

Did you use backer board to do the uprights? Or just slop on the mix and place the tiles?

Its 7/16 cement board in place of drywall.  The pan is concrete/sand mix with a PVC pan liner.  Everything is hand made...  I busted my ass getting all the grout lines to carry through...  My Boss was to blame about the placement of the "soap shrine"  He insisted it be at that exact height, and that the accent mosaic be where it is.  Everything else was done out of my imagination.  I would have done it slightly different if it were all up to me.  I've built a few of those style showers, but that one was my favorite.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#39]
if your going to lay tile and drink do this . get the lay out and start lines in every room done early  before your drunk then it will come out better even when your drunk thats what i did
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I built this

My fiancée wants a tiled shower we can both stand in, like that.  Great job man!

I told her she better learn how to do tile real soon
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It's my border... Gonna run those strips down the sides

ETA: I turned the lights out, and my floor looks like a bleak graveyard site, with the white crosses sticking out everywhere

Should have aligned the two halves into the corner, getting rid of the strip.  If you stay with the strip, you need a piece that runs the tile length without any breaks

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My fiancée wants a tiled shower we can both stand in, like that.  Great job man!

Be sure to make it wide enough for one to stand, one to kneel.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Looks like you're "Buttering the tile" with the thinset rather than spreading it on th floor. If done correctly, you should be able to see traces of thinset in the cracks between the tiles. You'll know tomorrow when you tap on the tiles and it sounds hollow like a drum in some places. That means it's got nothing underneath it right there and it's not stuck to the floor or supported. I've made this mistake in the past.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#45]
You are doing fine, I like to clean as I go including the high spots of thinset in the grout lines (so they don't shine through the grout) and I only use spacers on vertical surfaces. On floors I snap chalklines and go to them, its much easier and automatically corrects tile discrepancy as you go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top