Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/30/2011 4:11:57 PM EDT

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/hemet-27415-reading-arrests.html

"Ten minutes later, a California Highway Patrolman approached Mackey
as he read, took the Bible out of his hands, and arrested him.

As the CHP officer was arresting him and putting him in his patrol
car, the two men who were with him — Assistant Pastor of Calvary Chapel
Hemet, Brett Coronado, and Ed Flores — asked the officer, "What law was
he breaking?”

Instead of identifying a legal violation, the officer asked, "Were
you preaching too?” After continuing to ask the officer for the legal
violation, Coronado and Flores were also arrested by another CHP officer
who had come to the DMV and were also cited for "impeding an open
business.”

Neither Coronado nor Flores ever read the Bible out loud anywhere on DMV premises."

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
God said these things would happen in the Bible
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
That`s not going to buff out for those officers. Hopefully, the "defendants" are of a protected class and the officers find what it`s like to be the subjects of a federal civil rights investigation by the Holder justice dept.

ETA: They appear to be white males, so their right don`t count.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

God said these things would happen in the Bible

/thread

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Coronado and Flores were also arrested by another CHP officer who had come to the DMV and were also cited for "impeding an open business.”

If they're referring to the DMV, I hope they arrested and charged all of the people behind the counters as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]
they need to re-do it with a Koran.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Edit: I'm sure if it was the Koran they would have been unmolested.....
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, that settles that.  After Katrina we knew that CHP hated the 2nd Amendment.  No we know that they hate the First as well.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coronado and Flores were also arrested by another CHP officer who had come to the DMV and were also cited for "impeding an open business.”

If they're referring to the DMV, I hope they arrested and charged all of the people behind the counters as well.
Now you sir, is a comedian...

I lulz...

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 those folks could get the chair.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
they need to re-do it with a Koran.

That would be awesome!

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Freedom of religion aside....how can a cop arrest somebody for merely speaking?

JB thuggery at it's worst......
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#13]
There's got to be more to the story.

EDIT: Someone should remind the pastor that they he is a servant's servant. He has no rights. If he needs defending then God will do it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Would an honest thread title of "Men arrested for 'impeding an open business' at the DMV" been too much for you?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Would an honest thread title of "Men arrested for 'impeding an open business' at the DMV" been too much for you?

That's not honest.

They impeded nothing, and moreso, while the article doesn't mention this, the 'rest of the story' is that they overheard the arresting officer radio in to ask someone to help him figure out what he could charge them with.

I heard about this the other day, and wondered who would start the thread here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How do you "impede an open business" if its not open?

It doesn't matter really; certainly they were home grown terrorists quoting that vile stuff from that book, right?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#17]

The legal group has filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of the men — who were subsequently released after their arrests — for violation of their right to free speech and for unlawful arrest.

Hope the 'officers' get some time off and a chance to catch up on some good reading material...

..like the Constitution.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the DMV wasn't a business.  Isn't it a government department (DMV)?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But it doesn't appear as if he was impeding shit.

I'm usually the first guy to take a dump in religious threads, and even I find it hard to believe that LE would have behaved the same had it been a Koran reading, or NAACP meeting.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't matter really; certainly they were home grown terrorists quoting that vile stuff from that book, right?

That was the charge.

The charge was not "reading the bible."

Argue against the validity of the charge all you want, don't lie to me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, my defense would be "Your Honor, it was a DMV, there is no evidence that anyone inside was working or conducting business."

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the DMV wasn't a business.  Isn't it a government department (DMV)?

Hey, the "authorities" claim its a business....at least that's what they were arrested for....
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Seems to me that California taxpayers just might be paying these 3 folks soon.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG, so true!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I doubt it.

I also doubt that all of you self-proclaimed champions of the first amendment would be so consistently championing the first amendment.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the charge.

Bleat, bleat....

I'll lie to you all day if it suits me.....

Obviously, reading comprehension escapes you....

Who's debating the charge...a figment of your imagination?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#28]
That wouldn't fly here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt it.

I also doubt that all of you self-proclaimed champions of the first amendment would be so consistently championing the first amendment.

Your doubts are meaningless.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the charge.

Bleat, bleat....

I'm sure you will.  I doubt you are mentally or morally capable of honesty.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt it.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Please try to stay on topic.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Misleading thread title is misleading.

Go onto some one's property (private or public), annoy and stop normal functions and see what happens, prosthelytizing or not.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the charge.

Bleat, bleat....

Third grade is that way > > > > >
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#34]
He should have just charged them with disorderly conduct!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#35]
No, they were arrested for reading the Bible, and it was a case of, "Well, you're under arrest now, and we'll find something to charge you with later."

Interesting to see how this will play out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#36]
So, the guy was standing in a planter in a DMV parking lot reading the bible out loud, and was arrested.

The DMV parking lot is not a public place. It is a parking lot for people at the DMV for DMV business (such as it is). Like it or not, the DMV parking lot is not the town square. If every numbfuck who wanted to protest something, preach something, or whatever, could use every government parking lot, it would impede public services (once again, such as they are).

Just because property is owned by the government does not mean that every numbfuck in the USA can use it as a soapbox. If the .gov had content neutral rules (e.g. no public speaking) for these semi-public areas (like .gov parking lots) and enforced it in a content-neutral way, I don't have a problem. Perhaps the whole thing could have been handled better (like asking them to leave and then arresting them for trespassing).

Shrug.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the charge.

Why would he?.....sounds like you've got that handled.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the charge.

Bleat, bleat....

Third grade is that way > > > > >

What was your last screen name?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm glad the officers made it home safe, good bust.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Go onto some one's property (private or public), annoy and stop normal functions and see what happens, prosthelytizing or not.

Show where that occurred.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#41]
If he had a Koran - he would be untouchable.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#42]
gotta say, maybe preaching without a license on public property MAYBE is a legal charge, but sounds like the cops were annoyed easily and will get their peepee's slapped as a result.

in a related note friend of mine who is a teacher was telling me about a book he read, time traveler goes the year 4000ish socity is very mellow, flying cars, no crime ect ect, and there are only 2 laws, both have the death penalty.

1. dont annoy people.

2. done be easily annoyed.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Guy went looking for trouble.  Camera = he wanted to be arrested.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If he had a Koran - he would be untouchable.

That is abslutely not true.

These "Christians are being persecuted" threads are very predictable, while very sad.  Integrity and honesty are apparently not traits some "Christians" believe are important.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Show where that occurred.

The thread title is misleading because reading the Bible didn't get him arrested.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So, the guy was standing in a planter in a DMV parking lot reading the bible out loud, and was arrested.

The DMV parking lot is not a public place. It is a parking lot for people at the DMV for DMV business (such as it is). Like it or not, the DMV parking lot is not the town square. If every numbfuck who wanted to protest something, preach something, or whatever, could use every government parking lot, it would impede public services (once again, such as they are).

Just because property is owned by the government does not mean that every numbfuck in the USA can use it as a soapbox. If the .gov had content neutral rules (e.g. no public speaking) for these semi-public areas (like .gov parking lots) and enforced it in a content-neutral way, I don't have a problem. Perhaps the whole thing could have been handled better (like asking them to leave and then arresting them for trespassing).

Shrug.

So why weren't allthe people protesting in Wisconsin state capitol arrested?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Guy went looking for trouble.  Camera = he wanted to be arrested.

Ya think?

He's probably getting donations from all over the country now, from others who are happy someone is finally "standing up for the persecution Christians face in the US."
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.  I lol'd.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shrug.

So why weren't allthe people protesting in Wisconsin state capitol arrested?

Capitols are for political and civil activities. A DMV is for dealing with the DMV. You don't show up to the DMV to protest not being able to wear a loincloth while rubbing yourself with olive oil, in public.  

Our DMV friend was looking for attention. He got it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Of course they should not have been arrested, but I have to ask, why did they have to go to a DMV to read the bible? I could understand going to a state capital or in front of capital hill in DC to prove a point, but why the DMV?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top