Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2011 1:03:08 PM EDT
Looking at books. Thinking about getting Death Troopers after the recent Star Wars thread. I've read literally everything by Crichton and nearly everything by King (I read a lot, and quickly). I also like Robin Cook all right, along with Koontz and Conn Iggulden.

I guess my favorite authors are H.P. Lovecraft (already read everything by him), Stephen King, and Michael Crichton. There are a lot of others in there too, though.

I like pretty much everything but comedy.

Got any recommendations for me?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you ever read anything by Neal Stephenson?  I highly recommend Cryptonomicon.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have you ever read anything by Neal Stephenson?  I highly recommend Cryptonomicon.

What's it like?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's it like?

It's a huge book that takes place both during WWII and the 1990's.  It's just a brilliant book.  I like King and Crichton and Lovecraft too, so I think we have similar literary tastes.
   Cryptonomicon zooms all over the world, careening  
conspiratorially back and forth between two time periods––World War II  
and the present. Our 1940s heroes are the brilliant mathematician  
Lawrence Waterhouse, cryptanalyst extraordinaire, and gung ho,  
morphine-addicted marine Bobby Shaftoe. They're part of Detachment  
2702, an Allied group trying to break Axis communication codes while  
simultaneously preventing the enemy from figuring out that their codes  
have been broken. Their job boils down to layer upon layer of  
deception. Dr. Alan Turing is also a member of 2702, and he explains  
the unit's strange workings to Waterhouse. "When we want to sink a  
convoy, we send out an observation plane first.... Of course, to  
observe is not its real duty––we already know exactly where the  convoy is. Its real duty is to be observed.... Then,  when we come round and sink them, the Germans will not find it  suspicious."

All of this secrecy resonates in the present-day story line, in
which  the grandchildren of the WWII heroes––inimitable programming geek
 Randy Waterhouse and the lovely and powerful Amy Shaftoe––team up to  
help create an offshore data haven in Southeast Asia and maybe uncover  
some gold once destined for Nazi coffers. To top off the paranoiac  tone
of the book, the mysterious Enoch Root, key member of Detachment  2702
and the Societas Eruditorum, pops up with an unbreakable  
encryption scheme left over from WWII to befuddle the 1990s  
protagonists with conspiratorial ties.

Cryptonomicon
is vintage Stephenson from start to finish: short  on plot, but long on
detail so precise it's exhausting. Every page has  a math problem, a
quotable in-joke, an amazing idea, or a bit of sharp  prose. Cryptonomicon
is also packed with truly weird  characters, funky tech, and
crypto––all the crypto you'll ever need,  in fact, not to mention all
the computer jargon of the moment. A word  to the wise: if you read this
book in one sitting, you may die of  information overload (and
starvation). ––Therese Littleton  
 ––This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I work at amazon, entertainment is seeing the really weird shit they sell on the shelves. some of it I would NEVER have thought of.
and couldn't post about without a ban hammer here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Len Deighton
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Now is an excellent time to get into George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, starting with A Game of Thrones. I think its a great series. Also, if you haven't read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series or Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series, I recommend those as well.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Bookmarking a book thread
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What's it like?

It's a huge book that takes place both during WWII and the 1990's.  It's just a brilliant book.  I like King and Crichton and Lovecraft too, so I think we have similar literary tastes.

Cryptonomicon zooms all over the world, careening  conspiratorially back and forth between two time periods––World War II  and the present. Our 1940s heroes are the brilliant mathematician  Lawrence Waterhouse, cryptanalyst extraordinaire, and gung ho,  morphine-addicted marine Bobby Shaftoe. They're part of Detachment  2702, an Allied group trying to break Axis communication codes while  simultaneously preventing the enemy from figuring out that their codes  have been broken. Their job boils down to layer upon layer of  deception. Dr. Alan Turing is also a member of 2702, and he explains  the unit's strange workings to Waterhouse. "When we want to sink a  convoy, we send out an observation plane first.... Of course, to  observe is not its real duty––we already know exactly where the  convoy is. Its real duty is to be observed.... Then,  when we come round and sink them, the Germans will not find it  suspicious."

All of this secrecy resonates in the present-day story line, in which  the grandchildren of the WWII heroes––inimitable programming geek  Randy Waterhouse and the lovely and powerful Amy Shaftoe––team up to  help create an offshore data haven in Southeast Asia and maybe uncover  some gold once destined for Nazi coffers. To top off the paranoiac  tone of the book, the mysterious Enoch Root, key member of Detachment  2702 and the Societas Eruditorum, pops up with an unbreakable  encryption scheme left over from WWII to befuddle the 1990s  protagonists with conspiratorial ties.

Cryptonomicon is vintage Stephenson from start to finish: short  on plot, but long on detail so precise it's exhausting. Every page has  a math problem, a quotable in-joke, an amazing idea, or a bit of sharp  prose. Cryptonomicon is also packed with truly weird  characters, funky tech, and crypto––all the crypto you'll ever need,  in fact, not to mention all the computer jargon of the moment. A word  to the wise: if you read this book in one sitting, you may die of  information overload (and starvation). ––Therese Littleton    ––This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.  

haha I'm writing a book right now about a group of people who go after some Nazi gold post-WWII
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's it like?

Cryptonomicon zooms all over the world, careening  conspiratorially back and forth between two time periods––World War II  and the present. Our 1940s heroes are the brilliant mathematician  Lawrence Waterhouse, cryptanalyst extraordinaire, and gung ho,  morphine-addicted marine Bobby Shaftoe. They're part of Detachment  2702, an Allied group trying to break Axis communication codes while  simultaneously preventing the enemy from figuring out that their codes  have been broken. Their job boils down to layer upon layer of  deception. Dr. Alan Turing is also a member of 2702, and he explains  the unit's strange workings to Waterhouse. "When we want to sink a  convoy, we send out an observation plane first.... Of course, to  observe is not its real duty––we already know exactly where the  convoy is. Its real duty is to be observed.... Then,  when we come round and sink them, the Germans will not find it  suspicious."

All of this secrecy resonates in the present-day story line, in which  the grandchildren of the WWII heroes––inimitable programming geek  Randy Waterhouse and the lovely and powerful Amy Shaftoe––team up to  help create an offshore data haven in Southeast Asia and maybe uncover  some gold once destined for Nazi coffers. To top off the paranoiac  tone of the book, the mysterious Enoch Root, key member of Detachment  2702 and the Societas Eruditorum, pops up with an unbreakable  encryption scheme left over from WWII to befuddle the 1990s  protagonists with conspiratorial ties.

Cryptonomicon is vintage Stephenson from start to finish: short  on plot, but long on detail so precise it's exhausting. Every page has  a math problem, a quotable in-joke, an amazing idea, or a bit of sharp  prose. Cryptonomicon is also packed with truly weird  characters, funky tech, and crypto––all the crypto you'll ever need,  in fact, not to mention all the computer jargon of the moment. A word  to the wise: if you read this book in one sitting, you may die of  information overload (and starvation). ––Therese Littleton    ––This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.  

haha I'm writing a book right now about a group of people who go after some Nazi gold post-WWII

As long as it's not in the Philippines, you're not treading over covered ground.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What's it like?

As long as it's not in the Philippines, you're not treading over covered ground.

haha all right, sweet, I'm good. It's in South Texas, btw (my book).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top