Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2011 12:04:58 PM EDT
I have a buddy coming over who has only done plinking style shooting and I wanted to broaden his horizons a little bit.  I'm trying to keep it on the cheap so buying a dueling tree or a Texas star is out.  We have always been pretty competative, so head to head or score-able things are great.  Here are a few of the ideas I have so far.  Give me a few more ideas.

Set up targets and barricades and do some IDPA/ USPSA style run and gun.

Appleseed AQT

Printable 8 1/2 x 11 dart board targets.

Drills like dot torture and the like from pistoltraining.com
http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

I figured we could shoot a game of H.O.R.S.E with the dartboard targets or cans.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Sporting clays can add some fun. Easy to see if you hit them or not. Sure, it isn't steel, but you can set up similar runs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get AR500 plate cheap on wideners.  Put one up at a few hundred yards
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
"Set up targets and barricades and do some IDPA/ USPSA style run and gun."

I like this idea.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
How about the GRAPEFRUIT CHALLENGE?

Lots of people can shoot from a bench... but can you hit a 5" - 6" target from offhand? How far back can you go before hitting outside the rind? It's more difficult than you think!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Print off some 8x10 pictures of his ex-wife.
Staple to backboards.
WIN!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How about the GRAPEFRUIT CHALLENGE?

Lots of people can shoot from a bench... but can you hit a 5" - 6" target from offhand? How far back can you go before hitting outside the rind? It's more difficult than you think!

That's one I forgot about.  Thanks.

I have water bottles, eggs, .22 spinning plates, and balloons for some reactive targets.  I just wanted to show him something different than same old "Whoo Hoo, I hit it" shooting he is used to.  

I'm not sure if he has even done any shooting on the move or anything like that before.  I figured we would do a couple El Presidente drills and other semi-stationary drills and work our way up to moving from cover to cover.  I'm trying to think of drills or games we can do with the shot timer to make it competitive, but don't want him rushing his draw or reload until I know he is alright and safe with it.

I'd also like to find another kind of game you can shoot like the dart board targets.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Great ideas!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#8]
TAG
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Ballistic polymer targets are fun. You can pick up the spinners and bouncing ball,  fairly cheap around $10-$15 at sporting good stores. The balls neat because they bounce and jump when hit. Try hitting them before them come to a complete stop.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TARGET200-1.html
Alot of people who have only shot from a bench or on the ready line have never shot from field positions: standing offhand, standing supported, kneeling, sitting, prone, etc. S
Shooting around and through barricades while moving from cover is good too.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Depending on range, your rifle, and your optics this can be very challenging.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ballistic polymer targets are fun. You can pick up the spinners and bouncing ball,  fairly cheap around $10-$15 at sporting good stores. The balls neat because they bounce and jump when hit. Try hitting them before them come to a complete stop.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TARGET200-1.html

Alot of people who have only shot from a bench or on the ready line have never shot from field positions: standing offhand, standing supported, kneeling, sitting, prone, etc. S

Shooting around and through barricades while moving from cover is good too.

<a href="http://img848.imageshack.us/i/barricades.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/6269/barricades.jpg</a>

I figured I would give him a quick rundown of what I learned at Appleseed.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have a shooting timer, you can download Paul Howe's rifle & pistol instructor standards off his website and go head to head. Somebody posted the US Federal Air Marshal qualifications standards here a while back, and you can do the same with those.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you have a shooting timer, you can download Paul Howe's rifle & pistol instructor standards off his website and go head to head. Somebody posted the US Federal Air Marshal qualifications standards here a while back, and you can do the same with those.

That may be a little advanced for him, but I am definitely adding that to my collection. Thank you.

I just got a Pact III the other day and am trying my best to wear out the par function around the house.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#14]

I have water bottles, eggs, .22 spinning plates, and balloons for some reactive targets.

Buy some cheap sodas in cans or small bottles; they explode very impressively. And you can save & sell the cans!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Teach him how to bump-fire....burn all your ammo in twelve minutes and go home.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I did a google search for "dart games" and found some interesting games we can play with either a rifle or handgun.  I think I may spice it up by doing pushups or jumping jacks to get our heart rate up or by only having x amount of time to shoot from behind cover or something.

http://www.targetprinter.com/games1.html

Dart games

More dart games.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Teach him how to bump-fire....burn all your ammo in twelve minutes and go home.

I like the way you roll.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My favorite "game" involves 12" and 18" rifle gongs.

I set them up against a berm (mountain) hanging from stands (rebar tripods) staggering them around and then laser off 100 yards from them. At that location I set up my ammo and magazines. I grab a rifle and start shooting and moving backwards away from the target cluster. I'll shoot offhand (standing) out to the point where I can't hit the gongs effectively. Then I'll go rice paddy prone (kneeling) and then seated. I'll move side-to-side up and down hills shooting over the tops of the hills and rocks. Eventually I'll be out several hundred yards and have to go prone. Rifle depending I'll work out to 600-700 yards at which point it's too hard to hear the "ping" of the gong.

The game serves every purpose I want in training - shooting at unknown ranges from unfamiliar positions, estimating ranges, and gives that instant feedback. It's taught me what position works at what range, how to adjust sights or do Kentucky windage.

That sounds like a lot of fun and a great drill.  I will definitely try that when I get some steel.

I wish I had a mountain.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Tagged for ideas.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#21]
You would be surprised to find out how much fun, and how challenging simple swinging targets can be.

A tennis ball on a string, 3 hits rapid fire is fun and challenging.

I bet it takes 9 shots first round and will go down to 4-5 depending on distance.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tagged for ideas.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You would be surprised to find out how much fun, and how challenging simple swinging targets can be.

I bet it takes 9 shots first round and will go down to 4-5 depending on distance.

How long does the tennis ball last?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#24]
No local carbine shoots happening tomorrow?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No local carbine shoots happening tomorrow?

There was a 3 gun match two weeks ago, but I couldn't make it.  IDPA is on Saturday and he is coming down on Sunday.  We are just going to have to roll our own.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Tag

word.

how about running suicides... but with guns..

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Tag

word.

how about running suicides... but with guns..

I had to look that up.  They called them wind sprints back in my day.  I hated them then and I'll be damned if I am going to do them now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How long does the tennis ball last?

What caliber you using?

.223/.22 long time.

.308 better use cable, not string.

.45 hollow points take big chunks out after 20rnds.

9mm gives pretty good life.

12G slugs.....not so much.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the ideas guys, we had a blast today.

I think the most fun was playing H.O.R.S.E on the dart board at 3 yards with the suppressed P22.

On a side note I shot a .40 for the first time today.  It was in a Hi-Point, though I forget which model.  That gun was all over the place and wouldn't shoot a group for shit.  I can see why they only cost $165 NIB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top