Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2011 5:56:01 AM EDT
So my husky likes to tear her beds up.  I bought 3 in 3 days with the last one being a Kong brand that was I was told by the girl there was "dog proof".  Well, that lasted about 10 minutes and while she wasn't able to tear the cover, she found the zipper and unzipped it and destroyed the stuffing pillow.  

Now Pet Smart garuntees the beds, so it didn't cost me anything for her to tear these things up, but after 3 in 3 days I felt like a dick trying a fourth.  

She stays in her crate during the day and while she doesn't seem to mind laying on a fleese blanket, as soon as I let her out she jumps on the couch to pass out on something soft.  

What do you guys use for dog beds that your chewers haven't been able to destroy?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:03:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I made one of these but because I could not find the corner pieces shown I put another square of pipe on the bottom too. LINK

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Just use some cheap place rug. She's bored and her idea of fun is finding a way to destuff dog beds. Accept that and find an alternative.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I had to get a kuranda for my destructive turds.

http://kuranda.com/

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy her a pool instead, FL is going to get hot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I made one of these but because I could not find the corner pieces shown I put another square of pipe on the bottom too. LINK

http://www.happyrover.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/no_chew_guard.jpg

I've only seen these at the pound and never really thought they would be a compfy bed for the dog, but if you guys like them I'll give it a try.  I just want her off that hard plastic floor.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#6]
check out the Orvis catalog....
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I've always had good luck with earth.

Haven't seen a dog wear it out, yet.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#8]
where at in florida?  i know that the jax area has a strong sled dog group.  believe they have a facebook page.  

my brother lives down that way, his two huskies and one malamute are the kings of demolition!  good luck

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just use some cheap place rug. She's bored and her idea of fun is finding a way to destuff dog beds. Accept that and find an alternative.

I use carpet and t-shirts.

I get the carpet from a neighbor who installs carpet and the t-shirts from a guy at the goodwill around the corner..
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I was in the same boat as you a year ago

Tried different beds, pillows, and even a carpet which were all torn up

Finally got fed up and put a blanket in there. When it was destroyed, I left it in there. She ended up sleeping on metal covered with shreds of fabric for about 2 months before I put three old pillows in there and formed a bed. Guess she appreciated it and now I have no issues
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've only seen these at the pound and never really thought they would be a compfy bed for the dog, but if you guys like them I'll give it a try.  I just want her off that hard plastic floor.  Thanks.
My dog LOVES her bed. I bought the all the pieces at the Menards and had the GF sew up the fabric part and made it so the fabric is very tight. I have mine so she can look out the bay windows and changed the uprights to match the lower part.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#12]
A dog that continually tears up his or her place of sleep is your dogs way of trying to communicate to you.

Your dog isn't happy.
Husky has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dog LOVES her bed. I bought the all the pieces at the Menards and had the GF sew up the fabric part and made it so the fabric is very tight. I have mine so she can look out the bay windows and changed the uprights to match the lower part.

What kind of fabric did you use?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Beagle that liked to eat his beds also. After getting tired of that bullshit I bought a can

of this Granniks Bitter Apple spray and tried that. It worked and its a lot cheaper than buying

new dog beds.

http://www.bitterapple.com/
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#15]
you stay in a crate all day. i bet you would tear up everything in sight when you got out.
if you need to cage an animal , get a chicken
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So my husky likes to tear her beds up.  I bought 3 in 3 days with the last one being a Kong brand that was I was told by the girl there was "dog proof".  Well, that lasted about 10 minutes and while she wasn't able to tear the cover, she found the zipper and unzipped it and destroyed the stuffing pillow.  

Now Pet Smart garuntees the beds, so it didn't cost me anything for her to tear these things up, but after 3 in 3 days I felt like a dick trying a fourth.  

She stays in her crate during the day and while she doesn't seem to mind laying on a fleese blanket, as soon as I let her out she jumps on the couch to pass out on something soft.  

What do you guys use for dog beds that your chewers haven't been able to destroy?

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/217645_10150169785244494_826794493_6624484_4766956_n.jpg

Awesome pic.

Has the twitchy look of a dog that's about to burst with misbehaving energy. Post more if you've got 'em.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Smack her on the ass and tell her NO.
OH

Gunner says nice looking bitch

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
you stay in a crate all day. i bet you would tear up everything in sight when you got out.

Sorry we're not home 24/7

Would rather not have a puppy have free rein of the house to tear up when we have to leave
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would rather not have a puppy have free rein of the house to tear up when we have to leave

Had my lab fully house trained at 4 months.
Your technique and commitment to the dog is showing it's true colors in your responses.

Put in x amount of effort, get y back in return from the dog.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My dog does not stay in a crate although we have one that she chooses to go into at her will. She has constant attention from the wife , me the daughter and SIL plus the three grandchildren. She still destroys all of her stuffed toys and beds except for the one in the front yard. I guess she thinks they are just large stuffed toys.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of fabric did you use?

Some cordura like backpacks are made out of. I would imagine any heavy duty upholstery fabric would do though. I have even thought about making an outdoor one using some vinyl boat cover fabric.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I see the problem.  No offense, but far fewer folks should own huskies as they demand much more attention and freedom than other dogs.

Huskies in particular need a social life as they are very active dogs, not Georgia porch dogs.

Our huskies had free reign over the house with a large fenced in yard.  They are not destructive IF they can have a bit of freedom and company with other dogs.  My huskies cage is covered with a large pillow and pillows on three sides.  Sleeps on a leather couch or on our bed.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
where at in florida?  i know that the jax area has a strong sled dog group.  believe they have a facebook page.  

my brother lives down that way, his two huskies and one malamute are the kings of demolition!  good luck

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I live in Orlando.  Got a name for the group?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A dog that continually tears up his or her place of sleep is your dogs way of trying to communicate to you.

Your dog isn't happy.

Quite the opposite.  She pulls the bed apart and rolls around in the stuffing like it was snow.  Then she takes the shredded material from the cover and plays tug of war with it with the other dogs.  I don't think she does it because she's pissed, she just sees the damn thing as an oppertunity for a good time, and multiple toys.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ya, I guess if you've never tried crating you see it that way, I used to.  At night, and for a couple hours a day they are crated.  They don't care, they go pass out.  When the lights go off at night, they just walk into the crate, and when I throw my back pack on in the morning to head to work they do the same.  The rest of the day they split there time between running around a big fenced in back yard, playing with a 10 yo and running around the house.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had my lab fully house trained at 4 months.
Your technique and commitment to the dog is showing it's true colors in your responses.

Put in x amount of effort, get y back in return from the dog.

again let me rephrase that for you

I would rather not give my "puppy" free rein of the house when I'm gone. Especially since "puppies" generally are teething and like to chew on things

sorry we're not all tier 1 dog trainers as you Mr. Dog whisperer...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your dog isn't happy.

Quite the opposite.  She pulls the bed apart and rolls around in the stuffing like it was snow.  Then she takes the shredded material from the cover and plays tug of war with it with the other dogs.  I don't think she does it because she's pissed, she just sees the damn thing as an oppertunity for a good time, and multiple toys.

Yep, it may be a reason for SOME dogs but some just enjoy destuffing everything they can. I've had labs that had TONS of attention but they absolutely love to get into the stuffing of anything you gave them. To them, that was the best part of the new toy or bed, to find a way to pull out the "guts".
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#28]
ROFL husky proof
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I had to get a kuranda for my destructive turds.

http://kuranda.com/  

Our breeder recommends these.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I see the problem.  No offense, but far fewer folks should own huskies as they demand much more attention and freedom than other dogs.

Huskies in particular need a social life as they are very active dogs, not Georgia porch dogs.

Our huskies had free reign over the house with a large fenced in yard.  They are not destructive IF they can have a bit of freedom and company with other dogs.  My huskies cage is covered with a large pillow and pillows on three sides.  Sleeps on a leather couch or on our bed.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/30106_1421704736442_1047404419_31220422_1744589_n.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0006.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P10100383.JPG

Good looking pups.  Mine have the same kind of freedom for the most part, and there's 3 dogs so there is no lack of a "pack".  I just can't leave her in an outdoor pen all day, not down here.  She's good for about an hour outside going crazy, but after that and she wants nothing more then the tile floor in the kitchen.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#31]
i have a husky and malamute and they pretty much have free rain of the house and dont cause issues outside of shedding and tracking mud threw the dog door when its nasty out,  

they have a couple large pillow beds laying around but for the most part either lay on the couch, bed or AC vent
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#32]
No bed is safe around little beast.  She will take them all, and the warmer the better.  Mrs. Blues got up about a half minute before, and this is what happens:

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Old, crappy bedsheets and towels.  The Bigger dachshund in my avatar has killed every stuffed bed we ever gave him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top