Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2011 11:58:04 PM EDT
Now its not an official video, its a slideshow some guy put together.  Its a 26 year old song, that still relevant today.

BTW, the lead picture, with the troops dismounting the Huey, that is the "Blue Platoon" of Bravo Troop, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry, 1st Air Cavalry Division assaulting Bong Son in 1966.  That Huey is a UH-1D which is why there is only one door gunner, and its from The Headhunters, which was was the slick platoon

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Not too many hippies went to Vietnam. Most of them either went to Canada or stayed in college and got deferments. I've known scores of Vietnam vets. I served with many and I work with several. I wouldn't describe any of them as old hippies. When I was growing up, a hippie was not something good people wanted to be.

Edit;

BTW, 35 isn't old.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:48:23 AM EDT
[#2]
My dad was a Vietnam vet and he sure as fuck wasn't a hippy. I've never met an old hippy that was a vet, in fact.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I know quite a few Nam vets that embraced the hippy lifestyle after returning. Most returned to a regular life after the hippy thing died out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:01:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Every senior NCO and officer over O-6 when I was in the Army was a Vietnam Veteran.  None were hippies.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:08:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Every senior NCO and officer over O-6 when I was in the Army was a Vietnam Veteran.  None were hippies.  
I take it then, that the majority of Veteran hippies would probably have left the services ASAP after their draft was up?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:39:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I know quite a few Nam vets that embraced the hippy lifestyle after returning. Most returned to a regular life after the hippy thing died out.

short hair and army ribbons did NOT get one laid in the post Viet Nam era... sad, but true..

long hair, torn jeans and a head band with a peace sign on your ass, THAT got one laid in the day....also sad but true.so!

hell yeah, many vets, including yours truly, took to the look of the long haired FM listenin rock and rollin good time charlie hippie type pinko fag look of the enemy to infiltrate the enemy pie...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Its not saying he took the hippy persona, just some of the things he liked were considered "hippy".   So others see him as one, and he doesnt disavow.

"He grows a little garden in the backyard by the fence.  He's consuming what he's growing, now-a-days in self defense"
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the sequel to the original song, 10 years later.

"He's seen yuppies in the White House, but he thinks they're gonna fail.  He just doesnt trust a president that 'never has inhaled'.  And he prays to God to stop this crime, but it seems to no avail"
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take it then, that the majority of Veteran hippies would probably have left the services ASAP after their draft was up?

my old man (E-9) and neighbor ( CWO cobra driver ) both Vietnam era

hate 60s  hippies and their current resurgents with the heat of 1000 suns

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top