Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 11:35:52 PM EDT
Anyone ever use it? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard of folks using "quicken' with good results. I personally went the lawyer route, something about having a signature with "esq" after it made me feel better. YMMV

ETA.. big cost difference too
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I've read more complaints about lawyers screwing up a trust that Quicken.  I don't have any experience either way, thats just what I've read.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd go the lawyer route with one that has a history with NFA and trusts.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:15:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Exactly  ^

The guy I used has a bunch of class III goodies and came highly recommended.  Do your home work before deciding what route to take.

The argument of " lawyer vs. software"  will go on forever.  Its personal preference as far I`m concerned.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:33:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Like others said...go with a lawyer.

A trust generated by Quicken will work if you never plan on actually using it for it's other benefits (for when you die, etc). As a purely temporary placeholder for NFA stuff that you'll eventually dissolve, it's fine.

If, however, you want to actually use the trust as a way to provide for your beneficiaries after your death...accidental or otherwise...go with a real lawyer-drawn up trust, preferrably by someone who's actually done one before. If you go with the Quicken Willmaker way, and if you should happen to die, there's a legal minefield that you've just dropped your beneficiaries into (and anyone else associated with the trust). Things like "did the assets in the trust appreciate since original purchase (like, say, a machine gun)?" and other fun things like that. Quicken doesn't handle that, but a real NFA trust should.

But, I guess it all really depends on what you plan on doing with it.

I wound up going with a simple sheriff's signoff, mostly because it was cheaper and he was happy to do so.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:07:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly  ^

The guy I used has a bunch of class III goodies and came highly recommended.  Do your home work before deciding what route to take.

The argument of " lawyer vs. software"  will go on forever.  Its personal preference as far I`m concerned.

Who did you use and what did it cost you? I spoke to a firm Jacksonville that does them. But, they wanted $600.00. I didnt it was too much, wouldn't mind spending less. I'm in FL as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Go with a lawyer.  It shouldn't cost you much, you are more likely to get it right the first time, and it there is a problem you can sue him for malpractice after ATFE comes in and rapes your dog.  On an email list for lawyers some of them were recently reviewing a trademark application done via Legalzoom and it was chock full of errors. If they can screw that up I wouldn't trust them with a trust.

Check out David Goldman's guntrustlawyer.com for attorneys who practice in this area, or my site, The Shooters' Bar, for pro-gun attorneys in general.  (I think David Goldman is an Arfcommer but I'm not sure.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top