Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 6:39:19 AM EDT
Just the show you want to watch and no commercials. If you like the commercials so much perhaps there could be a station or 2 with only commercials on it.

If I remember correctly that was the original intent of cable service.

Do you think such an offering would make it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you gonna pay $2000 a month for it?  Commercials are how they make money.

TV shows cost hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars per episode to put on the air.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#2]
DVR and BitTorrent FTW!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd rather just pay for the channels I want rather than getting 200 channels and only watch 20 or so.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd rather just pay for the channels I want rather than getting 200 channels and only watch 20 or so.

I agree with that too!!

I don't need 120 channels of Spanish TV shows.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't watch commercials anyways.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]
fuck yes. I have sirius for no commercials. Would gladly pay more to get the same on my tv.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you gonna pay $2000 a month for it?  Commercials are how they make money.  

TV shows cost hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars per episode to put on the air.  

Netflix does it. HBO does it. Starz does it. Showtime does it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:03:04 AM EDT
[#8]
All TV shows are actually like 15 minutes long.  Would be incredibly fast TV watching.  What would you do with the time normally spent watching commercials thats left?  Black screen for 15 minutes until next show?  Or just fill it with tons of new crappy shows?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All TV shows are actually like 15 minutes long.  Would be incredibly fast TV watching.  What would you do with the time normally spent watching commercials thats left?  Black screen for 15 minutes until next show?  Or just fill it with tons of new crappy shows?

Crappy new shows would be more interesting then the Slap Chop.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Its the "paid programming" that is on almost all the channels very early morning that I hate. I'm paying for these channels, why the hell am I getting non-stop infomercials?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#11]
You pay a premium for HBO, Showtime, etc for that reason...

Besides your cable provider has zero control over what a broadcaster puts on their channel. They only choose what channels to carry.

They get a signal, modulate it and send it to you.

Correction: they insert some local commercials in certain time slots alotted to them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#12]

You get this from the BBC here in the UK, but you are of course being taxed for it, by way of 'TV Licensing Fee'.

One that you cannot opt out of, so long as you have a TV capable of receiving the signal.

We can console ourselves with the fact that we get Top Gear, even if we are paying for the rest of the bullshit.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Besides your cable provider has zero control over what a broadcaster puts on their channel. They only choose what channels to carry.

Not 100% true.

There are slots available to insert local or regional commercials so they can target specific audiences.

My thoughts are cable should have no commercials anyway. You are paying for a service.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
DVR and BitTorrent FTW!

yep, can't remember the last time I sat down and watched a prime time program as it aired.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#15]
this is why i canceled cable , now i pay 9$ for netflix and download other stuff , cut my bill by 80% and NO FUCKING COMMERCIALS!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not 100% true.
There are slots available to insert local or regional commercials so they can target specific audiences.
My thoughts are cable should have no commercials anyway. You are paying for a service.

You are correct. I was editing my post before I saw yours .

It would be awesome to have no commercials but not financially feasible. Cable companies pay a fortune in contract fees inorder to be able to carry a channel. And channels want the commercial revenue.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I already did. It's called DVR and Netflix.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#18]
If you are still watching commercials, you are doing it wrong.  Commercials cause massive brain damage - get a dvr.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't have cable but of course I'd rather have TV without commercials than with.

What I'm more interested in is ala carte cable service. I'm willing to pay a basic nominal fee of say $10-$15 a month for a very few (maybe 20) basic channels (local networks, Comedy, Fox news, ESPN, etc.) and then pay for the individual channels that I want without having to buy a whole package just to get one or two channels. Until they offer to sell me what I want and only what I want, I'll continue to just stream my shows. If they refuse to adapt, I hope they fail.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#20]
When cable originally came out, that was the whole point of paying, so that you didnt get commercials.

Over time they have slipped them in so that you now accept them.

But originally, it was network TV that had commercials, and cable was commercial free.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Poll fail, no option for KILL YOUR TELEVISION; Jersey Shore, WWE, Regis, Road Rules and Judge Judy aren't increasing the quality of your life.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Are you gonna pay $2000 a month for it? Commercials are how they make money.

Yet HBO and Showtime seem to be able to do it and it only costs a few dollars each month. As for would I drop my current cable service for a service that offers the exact same CRAP but no commercials. FUCK NO! Who in their right mind is going to pay more for the same crap? Oh, wait I kind of know who. Stupid people with disposibale income who for some reason feel better about themselves when they needlessly pay more for the same product.

I would go for something built around the Netflix streaming model, if it were possible to dedicate a single line to streaming media so it wouldn't suck up my monthly data allotment.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I remember when Cable first came available to us back in the early 70's. That was the main selling point. No commercials.
Plus there was the "X" channel..
It was like the Satelite radio we have now. I figure Sat radio will be the same way. Once they are established with a solid customer base, the commercials will start.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I already have that.....

Netflix
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This.....
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Once upon a time the "cable" channels didn't have commercials.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Eh. I likely wouldn't pay what they would want to air them. I don't even pay for HBO, I can't see paying more for fox or NBC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top