Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2002 8:22:32 PM EDT
Went to the gunshow today and got a smokin deal on a 10.5 complete preban upper.I also bought a barrel extention to go on it.Well my lower is a Post so I was planning on taking the upper to the shop next week to make the mods so itll be a post ban upper.Well I got home and started tinkering with the upper and deceided to take it to the river and run a couple of rounds through it.I live in a small town(less than a 1000 people)and have never seen a single person while I was out shooting much less a LEO..Well while I was getting my stuff togather I debated on wheather to put on the barrel ext on or to just take it like it was.I mean hey who really would know if it a preban or not and who would see me anyway?Well I figured if the FS would come off easy Id go ahead and put the ext on.Well it did and I did.I got to the river and loaded my rifle.After about the 8th round I noticed a white pickup had pulled in behind my truck and blocked it in.I stopped shooting and dropped the clip out of my rifle.I put it on safe without clearing the chamber and leaned it up against my grill.As I was doing this the 2 Water Patrol Officers got out of there truck and started heading my way.I really thought I had screwed up big time.I finally get my rifle almost done and get it taken away before I really get to enjoy it.The guys come up and ask to see my ID and ask what Im doing.I told them I had just bought the upper and was wanting to run some rounds through it.He also  asked to see my rifle and the papers on it.I was afraid at this point he was going to get the #s off the receiver and run the numbers to see if it was pre or post.As soon as I handed the rifle to him I told him it was live and the round needed to be cleared.He did and after looking at it he handed the rifle to me and asked for my ID.His partner stayed with me and he headed back to his truck to run my ID.While all this was going on I was pretty uneasy and I guess his partner could tell because he started talking ARs with me.He asked to see my AR and told me he had allways wanted a Preban.Well I didnt fess up that I had allways wanted one too because it looked like they both thought thats what I had.I think they thought this because my serial number is 12x.The first officer finally got done running my ID and came back and said that everything was ok.I secured my rifle in the truck and shot the shit with them for awhile.After talking to them I found out that they had been patroling the river since it was flooded and just happened to hear the shots.I hate to think what might have happened if I had not added the ext to the barrel or if the officers had been having a bad day.I learned a good leason today thats for sure.Needless to say I got my rifle back home and took the upper off till I get it done.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Whew! a close one
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Never go shooting alone in secluded areas! If crooks find you, they will shoot you and take all of your stuff, just like those 2 guys from the Miami FBI shootout.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Never go shooting alone in secluded areas! If crooks find you, they will shoot you and take all of your stuff, just like those 2 guys from the Miami FBI shootout.
View Quote

yikes, that was a close one.

I do agree about shoot alone.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Was shooting down at the river illegal?

Sounds like more "your papers please" bs if it wasn't.

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#5]
good advice, never swim alone, never shoot alone.
about 25 years ago, one of my uncle's was hunting with 12ga, tripped, fell and it went off, blasted his arm.  had he been alone, he probably would not have made it.  he still has pellets in his arm.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#6]
No its not illegal and we have shot several 1000s of rounds off from the same location I was at.They said they just come to see what was going on and to make sure I wasnt shooting into the water.I understand them stoping but,I was nervous about them wanting to see paper work and such.Later,Chris
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you do if your Mom is busy, Imbroglio? Ask your Teacher or your little sister to come along and watch your back? Ha Ha Ha! You're a putz!
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#8]
You fool.  Your problem is not a preban upper on a postie lower. No one cares about that.

Your problem is the same problem we all face--that nobody can shoot a gun anywhere without have fascist police state cops coming over to harass him for no reason other than "they heard shots."

That's the real problem we all face.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you do if your Mom is busy, Imbroglio? Ask your Teacher or your little sister to come along and watch your back? Ha Ha Ha! You're a putz!
View Quote

This is really funny!  The anti-Imbroglio -- extreme sarcasm to the nth degree, severe exaggeration of ideas, in the negative way.

So grimshaw, spending a little time over at D.U.G.?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top