Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2002 8:16:05 PM EDT
Maybe it's just the range that I go to (a public range), but it is almost always a good experiance. It's almost like a social event every saturday.

I swear, everytime I go to the range I get to shoot a new gun. And of course, I am always practicly shoving my cool toys in others hands as well.

Today I went to the range and there was an old guy there picking up brass and shooting a Walther P-38. We got to talking, and before you know it he had talked me into shooting his pistol.

Well after that, I of course talked him into shooting my preban M4 with compact ACOG. He'd never shot anything like it, and was totaly impressed.

After that a couple of young kids (about 18 or 19) showed up with there .22's. Well it was obvious that they were pretty interested with my AR. So of course I had to let them shoot it as well.

Personaly, I always get a kick out of letting people shoot my AR's and AK's. To me it's great to share those kinds of guns with people who aren't normaly exposed to them.

I know that it may cost me three or four bucks (sometimes more), but to me it's worth it to get these kind of arms into peoples hands and let them see how much fun they are. Call it my public service if you will.

Anyone else enjoy sharing their guns?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That often happens at our range!!  Its great!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually share my toys with anyone that asks.

Of course it helps if your toys are cool as well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
All the time. You're right, a day at the range does quickly turn into a social event. I think people just get a kick out of watching others enjoying their firearms; I know I do.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.
My .300WMs get more attention than any ARs [:(] Although, this is TX [:)]
A few loud whollups from a .300WM autoloader and you have everone's attention. The huge 50mm objective scopes adds to the flavor.
I love offering others to give it a crack.

IMO: The pistol ranges often have more interchanging of equipment than the rifle range. Probably because you can easily look over at the other stall (person's) groupings. Same goes for the other guy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, happens everytime. That way I got to shoot a bunch of guns for the first time, like single action army revolvers or pump-action shotguns, none of which I own. Others just drooled over my collection just the same, of course. Think P-38, Kar98, CZ 52 and other stuff, mostly WW2 and older weapons. Only guns I own that are newer than 60 years are a 1960 East German Makarov and a 1999 Kel-Tec P11. So you get lots of "Huh? Whassat?" or "Dang! I've heard of those, but never seen one.", comments.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Last time out, I let this little petite blonde fire my M1 Garand, thinking it would really knock her on her butt.  Surprisingly, she handled it quite well and really liked it.  Too bad her boyfriend was there.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Try taking a .50 to the range, and see what happens!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Last time out, I let this little petite blonde fire my M1 Garand, thinking it would really knock her on her butt.  Surprisingly, she handled it quite well and really liked it.  Too bad her boyfriend was there.
View Quote

Did you tell her to count to 8 and then it would pop!?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]
How come no one ever wants to shoot my guns?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was back home the neighbor kid shot my MP5 more than I did one summer. At 12 years old he was more qualified than any of the local SWAT guys.

Every Sat morning he would wake my ass up to take him to the range. Every Firday he would take all his paper route money and drop it on 9mm.

Once he started getting comfortable I was teaching him "quick sighting" and rapid target engagement. Even had him do some basic "shoot and scoot" drills, or as much as the limitations fo the range allowed. They really do need a kill house for the kiddies.

By end of summer this kid was dead on at 25m and in the black at 50m. Not bad for 12.

Funny side note: One day he is out front on the street with about 6 other kids on their bikes arguing about computer games. And I overhear, "That's bullshit, I KNOW. I shoot REAL MP5s all the time. You just know abou them from games." I eventually stopped laughing.

Back home I'm like Mr. Wilson with guns. His kid sister also goes shooting, with my guns. I really do need to get their parents to start buying guns for these little snots. Their dad has a few, but just the standard hunting rifles and shotguns. He sees my collection and just don't understand.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I was back home the neighbor kid shot my MP5 more than I did one summer. At 12 years old he was more qualified than any of the local SWAT guys.

Every Sat morning he would wake my ass up to take him to the range. Every Firday he would take all his paper route money and drop it on 9mm.

Once he started getting comfortable I was teaching him "quick sighting" and rapid target engagement. Even had him do some basic "shoot and scoot" drills, or as much as the limitations fo the range allowed. They really do need a kill house for the kiddies.

By end of summer this kid was dead on at 25m and in the black at 50m. Not bad for 12.

Funny side note: One day he is out front on the street with about 6 other kids on their bikes arguing about computer games. And I overhear, "That's bullshit, I KNOW. I shoot REAL MP5s all the time. You just know abou them from games." I eventually stopped laughing.

Back home I'm like Mr. Wilson with guns. His kid sister also goes shooting, with my guns. I really do need to get their parents to start buying guns for these little snots. Their dad has a few, but just the standard hunting rifles and shotguns. He sees my collection and just don't understand.

View Quote

In the era of "find out if you kid's friend's parents have guns in the house", that is truly refreshing.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#12]

I always offer up my guns to those interested. And I have been known to try out a few of their's also. Its always nice to shoot a new or different firearm.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In the era of "find out if you kid's friend's parents have guns in the house", that is truly refreshing.

View Quote

Then you really might like this...

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=115872[/url]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I love letting people shoot my firearms.  I bet 1/3 the rounds out of my 9mm AR were shot by other people.  

medcop
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I get a kick out of letting others try mine as well.  I just like sharing things that I enjoy with others.  I certainly don't mind when people return the favor either!
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Sharing is caring.[:I]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#17]
All the time, four weeks ago a couple of guys let me use their sidearms at a pin shoot, my Glock was in the shop, and all I had was my .22’s. Shot a 1911, and a .44 mag RedHawk. Liked the Ruger so much that I picked one up for today’s shoot.

First pistol one of the junior members shot was my .22 revolver, last I heard he was talking his father into buying him one.

Edited to add: kids and guns, the best way to instill confidence and discipline.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I love letting people shoot my guns as well.  Actually, that's how I got turned on to them.

I grew up in an anti-gun family, and used to think assault weapons were bad and should be banned.  Then I was at my friend's house and his dad let me shoot his MAK-90.  The rest is history, although it terrified my parents when I bought my first gun.

Letting non-shooters shoot the "cool fun" guns is probably the best way to bring them into the fold.

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Mama taught me to share!
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I think "trying out" asnd sharing guns is a great way to get personal experience before you decide to buy a gun (or not).  Informal target shooting as a socail event is a great way to make friends and to introduce weapons to people who may have misconceptions about a certain gun who've never fired one before.  

On the other hand, there's still alot of guys I've run into at several ranges that pack up as soon as someone else opens their trunks.  I've seen others that pull up to the bays and see someone shooting, and every time we walk downrange to check our targets, they ask, "are you guys finished yet?"  We tell them we're not, and there's several benches open and targets not being used, yet they still go back to their cars and wait 'til we're done!  We're practicing range etiquette and obeying safety rules, so that's not the problem.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Try taking a .50 to the range, and see what happens!!  [:D]
View Quote

I fired my first .50, when this aid to a Texas congressman brought his to the range and couldn't get it zeroed, so he ask me to fire a group to see if it was him or the rifle. He was off, not the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I just remember that our guns are big boy toys and the shooting range is the the "sandbox" where we play with our toys.  We should all play nice and share.  The bottom line is a more enriching experience for all of us.  I have been able to shoot a lot more guns by this process.  In fact, last weekend I got to shoot a Johnson through the sharing process.  I get the most interest from my M4 and my M1As.  Every real man wants to shoot a M1A.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#23]
well I haven't been to a public range in some time, but I do go shooting with buddies..

The good old M1A is a charmer..  When asked to go shooting, she's always requested to come along [:)]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#24]
In the great state of new york I'd be breaking the law if I let someone shoot one of my pistols. That includes my wife. In this state you can only shoot a pistol if it's listed on your permit.
Pistol safety classes that are mandatory are done with out the participants being allowed to handle a pistol. Our new york guns laws at work.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In the great state of new york I'd be breaking the law if I let someone shoot one of my pistols. That includes my wife. In this state you can only shoot a pistol if it's listed on your permit.
Pistol safety classes that are mandatory are done with out the participants being allowed to handle a pistol. Our new york guns laws at work.
View Quote

That sucks big time!
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I belong to a private range and don't really get the chance to.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#28]
When going to the range, I always pack extra for others.  I find it's also a good idea to bring extra to matches; as in extra guns, extra mags, extra gear, etc.  There's almost always someone who brings a person that "just wants to watch".  Of course, they usually jump at the chance to shoot, and it's nice to know you had the priviledge of "infecting" someone else.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought five boxes tracers at a gun show once. I headed down to the range late that day and there were four highschool kids down there playing with a shotgun. I loaded up the first box and let it fly down range as fast as I could pull the trigger. That got their attention. It was the first time I'd ever seen tracers, and I found out that they're slightly cooler to watch from off to the side a little bit, when I let each one of the kids there dump a mag full of them. They sure got a kick out of it, and one of them said he was going to get a rifle like that when he turnted 18. It was pretty entertaining.

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I always share my guns and usually even supply the ammo.  Most of my collection is full auto, and watching a full-auto newbie get that big shit-eatin grin after dumping a mag is almost as much fun as dumping the rounds yourself.  Its even better when you know you've made a full-auto convert (DragracerArt, are you there?)
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I always share; normally I have the coolest stuff on the range.  If they express an interest and I have some ammo I let others go at it.

Machine gun shoots make me feel really inadequate.  I got to shoot lots of cool shit at the May 11th shoot though.  I've found that having some knowledge and expressing interest in an owner's weapon almost obliges him/her to let me shoot it.  I normally ask politely.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I always share! Hell that's a big part of the fun at the range. Everyone gets a kick out of shooting "black guns"
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#33]
... Humph, sounds like I'm missing out.  I don't do ranges unless it's competitive.  Too restrictive.  One of the nice things about the wild west is that it's still pretty much wild.
Can shoot without a range.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
... Humph, sounds like I'm missing out.  I don't do ranges unless it's competitive.  Too restrictive.  One of the nice things about the wild west is that it's still pretty much wild.
View Quote

Ya, luckily here in Missouri the convservation department built gun ranges that are open to the public. They're free, and there aren't any restrictions as to what kind of gun you can shoot (i.e. full auto and .50 cal is ok).  

I can actually shoot right out my back door, but still go to the range. Like I said, it's almost like a social event everytime I go.

Glad to see I'm not the only one out there getting evil guns into peoples hands who haven't shot them before. Best way to spread the gospel if you ask me. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#35]
What would be your liability if someone shooting your gun injured someone else? Could you be accused of letting an unqualified person shoot your firearm? Has this ever happened before that anyone knows of? Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I was always taught to share and anyone who asks can take a few shots.  I also try to take as many friends as I can find.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ya, luckily here in Missouri the convservation department built gun ranges that are open to the public. They're free, and there aren't any restrictions as to what kind of gun you can shoot (i.e. full auto and .50 cal is ok).  

I can actually shoot right out my back door, but still go to the range. Like I said, it's almost like a social event everytime I go.

Glad to see I'm not the only one out there getting evil guns into peoples hands who haven't shot them before. Best way to spread the gospel if you ask me. [:)]
View Quote

Let me know when you want to clear some brush for your back yard range. [:)]
I can bring a chain saw and a weed eater.

medcop
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#38]
It always amazes me how many people don't know what an AR-15 is, considering we went through a few wars with it.  What amazes them most is the lack of recoil.

I found sharing is the best way to break the ice, and the wallet, too (I went home and bought quite a few things I tried at the range)
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It always amazes me how many people don't know what an AR-15 is, considering we went through a few wars with it.  What amazes them most is the lack of recoil.

I found sharing is the best way to break the ice, and the wallet, too (I went home and bought quite a few things I tried at the range)
View Quote

Ya, the recoil thing never ceases to crack me up. It's so funny how scared people are to shoot AR's or AK's, and then when they do they're like "that thing doesn't kick at all!". LOL!

Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I like to share my guns and ammo. The bonus is I get to test out other guns I am thinking of getting.

It is funny how many people are scared of the recoil and looks of the AR, and then find what little recoil it has.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I usually let people in vicinity "test drive" my Uzi SBR w/suppressor. Last fella was at the range (outside Peterstown-WV) with his dad + uncle I think, the kid was maybe 12-14, kept watching me, so I give him a couple mags of sub-sonic to play with, he was kind of bashful,,,till he let a few fly, then you have seen the grin. Dad even to a few shots.

Have not had much range time/public with the 7.5" AR and 11.5", but when the suppressors come, that will change.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Let me know when you want to clear some brush for your back yard range. [:)]
I can bring a chain saw and a weed eater.

medcop
View Quote

Cool, I appreciate it!

Branson, and Misanthrope came out a couple of weeks ago and helped me clear a bunch of brush and trees (thanks guys!), but I've still got some more tweaking to do until I get it how I want it. I may end up changing the angle a bit, so I may have to drop a few more trees. And I may put in some kind of backstop (see my post in General Firearms).

So your help would definitely be appreciated. I'll let you know ahead of time. We can make a day of it and BBQ or something.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top