Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2011 7:30:07 PM EDT
Are they worth it? I would like to get one the same size as my original battery. Is that possible? There are some cheap 3,500MAH batteries on ebay, but require a larger battery cover. Junk??

Thanks in advance,
                                                                          Kleinman
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Rooting it and removing the bloatware is cheaper and funner.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep hearing about this "Rooting" and it seems way over my head. Care to explain?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Buddy did this

Was fine

Then he went to 2.3 (I think maybe 2.1)

Now it's bad REAL bad and can't root the damn thing anymore

This is what happens when you don't ask your IT guy/buddy
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
They are fantastic I bought one, my battery life went from 6 or 7 hours with heave use to 15+ hours with the same type of use.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are fantastic I bought one, my battery life went from 6 or 7 hours with heave use to 15+ hours with the same type of use.

Link?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I also am curious about those.  Did you get an OEM size battery or one of those big ones that sticks out a quarter inch and has to use a special back cover?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Is rooting something anyone can do? Also the apps that come with the phone like Pandora, is there any way to uninstall them? I always use a task killer and that seems to be one that always runs by itself, but it will not let me uninstall it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is rooting something anyone can do? Also the apps that come with the phone like Pandora, is there any way to uninstall them? I always use a task killer and that seems to be one that always runs by itself, but it will not let me uninstall it.

First off, don't use a task killer.  That's one thing that will eat your battery.

Yes, you can uninstall pre-installed apps.  You have to root the phone to do that.

Rooting a phone is just getting administrative privileges, i.e. having total control of your device like you would your home computer.  What phone do you have?  Most phones you can download a program that does it for you- the so-called "one-click root."  It's very easy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the incredible.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought one of the larger extended batteries for my Incredible off Ebay, it works fine.  I haven't actually seen how long it lasts since I haven't run it down all the way, but it is much more than the stock one.  The back cover fits surprisingly well for such a cheap thing, I was actually surprised how well it fit, but it is slightly less precise than the factory cover.

Edit: found it: http://cgi.ebay.com/3500MAH-EXTENDED-BATTERY-COVER-HTC-DROID-INCREDIBLE
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First off, don't use a task killer.  That's one thing that will eat your battery.

Yes, you can uninstall pre-installed apps.  You have to root the phone to do that.

Rooting a phone is just getting administrative privileges, i.e. having total control of your device like you would your home computer.  What phone do you have?  Most phones you can download a program that does it for you- the so-called "one-click root."  It's very easy.

+1. Lose the task killer. They're not needed and actually do more harm than good.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a extended 3500 mah battery (stock one was around 1500mah) and back for my sprint samsung galaxy s epic 4g. It rocks. Getting double the battery life. The back cover fits perfectly. Really amazed for $12.99 on ebay, shipping included.

Just do it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I think an extended life battery is a great idea.

This link has a ton of stuff you can do to save juice.  If you're using an animated wallpaper I would definitely kill that.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#14]
turn off the wifi, GPS, dim the screen these will all help you conserve battery too..
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

turn off the wifi, GPS, dim the screen these will all help you conserve battery too..

Don't turn off wifi unless you're going out of coverage.  The wifi will use less battery than the cell network.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't turn off wifi unless you're going out of coverage.  The wifi will use less battery than the cell network.  

I never use the wifi... unless I'm using maps or the weather apps

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:14:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also am curious about those.  Did you get an OEM size battery or one of those big ones that sticks out a quarter inch and has to use a special back cover?

It's the bigger one with the new cover, I got it at the Verizon store.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:28:59 AM EDT
[#18]
OEM batteries are about $4 a pop and you can get a standalone charger for $10-15.  I can run forever now, bought 6 of them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top