Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/18/2002 5:44:13 PM EDT
...otherwise you might get a $80 ticket like I did today.

I'm sure it's "for my own good", but I'm an adult now, and I'm the only one that stands to lose in a collision is me.  Additionally, I was polite and the cop was an asshole-extraordinaire.

I know seat belts save lives, but mandatory seat belt and helmet laws for adults are just another way the government "protects you from yourself".

I'm sure the roads are a much safer place for everyone now that I'm wearing my seatbelt and no longer a threat to others.

[(:|)]

P.S. I'm sure officer pudgy-flattop's ego is flyin' high now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
PS-- were you pulled over because you weren't wearing one or some other reason and seatbelt was secondary?
Cop sounds like a real asshole.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
PS-- were you pulled over because you weren't wearing one or some other reason and seatbelt was secondary?
Cop sounds like a real asshole.
View Quote

Pulled over for not wearing a seat-belt.  No other violation was mentioned.  And yes, he was a prick.  I'm guilty as charged, but it's a stupid law, and he has discretion on enforcing it, or at least giving a warning.  Half the fault lies with the lawmakers, and the other half on his pudgy, stupid ass.

I'm sure the community can sleep better at night knowing I'm wearing my seat belt and am no longer a threat.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
They are starting that law in Washington this Monday. Really pisses me off.
Will be able to pull you over for not wearing. I don't remember voting on that one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes cops wonder why they get a bad rap. 10 proffesional officers make stops and then this asshole. Which one would you remember?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny you should mention the voting thing. Here in KY they stated it would be a secondary offence only. Passed quite easily as I recall with all the media outlets stressing the "secondary" nature of the offense. Now they can pull you over for it. All this in less than 5 years. We are well trained little civilians arent we?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
same thing in ohio, ar15forfun. when they passed the original statute, the gov. swore up and down it would never be used to pull folks over.

lying sack of shit politicians in the hip pocket of communist insurance agencies.

all hail der kommissar of revenue enhancement!

we are the borg of court! resistance is futile...your fine will be elevated!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Same thing in NY and NJ.  Started out as secondary only with HUGE promises that it would never be a primary offense.  That lasted three years in NY & 2 in NJ.  

Revenuers in blue.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

lying sack of shit politicians in the hip pocket of communist insurance agencies.

all hail der kommissar of revenue enhancement!

View Quote

Bingo!  I did my graduate internship in the state legislature and that is [u]exactly[/u] how it works.

The insurance companies figure they'll save money if people buckle up, then the medical cost of the average auto collision will be less.  So they lobby the legislatures to ban driving unbuckled.

So freedom gives way to the insurance companies' profits, and you've got a seat belt law.  Unlike speeding laws, a person driving unbuckled (or unhelmeted) is not a threat to anyone else.  His driving is the same, regardless of whether or not he is buckled.

But heaven forbid you don't buckle up, or [b]you will be fined for your own good[/b], and on behalf of the sheister insurance companies.

Officer pudgy-flattop is a pawn of the insurance lobby, but pulling people over for piss-poor laws makes him feel in control... like the man he never was in high-school.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#9]
After YEARS of fighting, ABATE and other freedom-loving citizens were able to get motorcycle helmet laws repealled in FL.  it was a constant battle with major insurance lobby funding and nanny-state politicians.

Now we have the 'we know what is best for you' seat belt laws, first they were not enforced, then added as a secondary citation if you are pulled over and now the primary citation so you can be pulled over for no other reason than not wearing a seat belt.

The same needs to happen with seatbelt laws for ADULTS.  yes, i know the stats, i picked people up off the road for over 10 years as a medic.  However, I am able to make decisions for myself better than a revenue-generating politician.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Im missing something, You break the law and the cop is a a$$hole because he cites you. Right? Its a LAW here, you from up north? Looks like you need a Wah-burger and some french-cries and wash it down with a Whinekien.

And you say "your an adult now", act like it then.
GG
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
That God for mandatory seat belt laws! Insurance stock dividends are up, medicare payments for "adults" who are ejected out their cars are down! It's win win.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Im missing something, You break the law and the cop is a a$$hole because he cites you. Right? Its a LAW here, you from up north? Looks like you need a Wah-burger and some french-cries and wash it down with a Whinekien.
View Quote

You're a funny guy, you really are.  Too bad it's a law that often CAUSES injuries.  Yes.  I was in a major accident way back as a passenger in a vehicle that was rear-ended and pushed into oncoming traffic where we hit head on with another car.  Being in the backseat, with no seatbelt, I simply slid across the bench from one side of the car and then back to the other.  No whiplash or anything.  Everyone else in the car happened to have seatbelts on and had more serious problems--pelvic bones knocked out of alignment, back problems, etc.  I don't care what the law is when it causes injuries to myself and my family.  Big brother can go screw himself along with you, his little willing whore.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Well.......a good friend of mine from High School is in the SCHP. After some 15 years, we happened to meet up again, and have since re-established our friendship. The first time we went to his range, we were sort of "catching up," and all of a sudden he said that he had noticed that I wasn't wearing my seat belt when I drove up. He then told me that if I'd seen half of what he'd seen, I'd wear it religiously, and damn near begged me to start wearing it. The look on his face, and the sincerity in his voice convinced me, and I've worn mine ever since.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:

And you say "your an adult now", act like it then.
GG
View Quote

Actually, smart-ass, I'm a native Texan, and I've had my share of tickets.  I've never been happy about getting a ticket, but normally the cops are decent, or at least not smart-asses; and I take my ticket and go on my way.

My complaint with this cop is because he was a [b]rude son of a bitch[/b].  But it's not like you were there.  So you really don't know what you are talking about.  Class dismissed.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm the only one that stands to lose in a collision is me.
View Quote

And why should I pay with [b]my[/b] insurance money for [b]your[/b] life support machines and the 250 lbs black nurse changing your diapers once you get (even if it wasn't your fault) in a head-on collision?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Traffic laws such as speed limits and safety belts are just ways for the government to make more money. During WW2 the speed limit's here and in the USA where lowered so that they could make more money off tickets, it worked so great they kept them that way after the war.

Find me a law and I'll find you a fat politician getting bigger on your money.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#17]
PoliSci - You were being facetious in your post, but you were correct on nearly all counts.

Except... It doesn't just affect you. And it isn't about "freedom" either - it's about responsibility. Specifically your responsibility for your own ass and that of your fellow drivers.

Driving a pickup with a bench seat? You get low-speed tagged in the right quarterpanel by Granny and your ass will slide all the way over to the passenger side. Now - who's in control of that vehicle? You? No. I'll be so bold as to assume you didn't want to sail over the median and crash into mom and kids in the minivan, either. (True story - I worked the scene)

Or, Granny rolls you and you get ejected. More likely than not, you will die.

A ticket that you'll always get from me will be for unsecured kids. No execptions, and one "coupon" per kid. Four unbelted kids? Tough shit: four tickets. Nanner-nanner-nanner.

I will [i]usually[/i] write the adults, too.

I don't write tickets to be an asshole, project my will upon others to compensate for my low self-esteem, to make up for the fact that I have a very small dick, or to meet a quota. I write to attempt to modify unacceptable behavior. If I can do that with a kind word, stern word instead of a ticket, I will do that.

For the uninitiated, I'm a Public Safety Officer. That means, I have all the duties of Cop, Paramedic, and Firefighter - all in one job. (Yes, I am not sane.)

I have yet to unbuckle a dead body in over 15 years in this and related fields. Yeah, it happens, but rarely.

And believe you me that I know from where I speak 'cause I see all three angles to it.

[size=6][red][b][i]Wear your Phucking seatbelts you selfish fothermuckers.[/i][/b][/red][/size=6]

Incidently, I don't believe in helmet laws, I believe that driving is a RIGHT, I've never given a ticket to a CWP holder, and the day the boss wants me to confiscate guns I'll throw my badge at him and go home and help my neighbors load mags and fill sandbags. -So stuff the facist cop crap where the sun don't shine.

P3[pyro][soapbox][heavy]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
During WW2 the speed limit's here and in the USA where lowered so that they could make more money off tickets,...
View Quote

Your source on this?

I think the speed limits were lowered in order to reduce the consumption of fuel - vital to the war effort.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

And why should I pay with [b]my[/b] insurance money for [b]your[/b] life support machines and the 250 lbs black nurse changing your diapers once you get (even if it wasn't your fault) in a head-on collision?
View Quote

For the same reason(s) that I would rather pay a little more in premiums for those that put themselves at risk than to have the government nanny-state coddle and herd people with laws designed to protect them from themselves "for their own good".

Besides, I might like the 250 lbs black nurse changing my diapers. [:D]

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I would no more go the shooting range without my eye and ear protection, than not wear a seat belt, regardless of what the law states. To me, wearing a seat belt while driving is just like wearing ear & eye protection at the range. The thing is, we never think about it these terms; but you are more likely to be involved in a traffic collision than being shot. I never leave home without them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Well, you insurance would be lower also if the speed limits were only 20 MPH, cars were electronically limited to the speed limit, and only government "approved" people could have licenses.  This is about freedom, where do you draw the line?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Bull! I pay for my risks, and everybody who puts himself into more risk than necessary is ow\n his own and should pay for his own, increased risks.
Whoever crosses a desert illegally and without supplies and dies, dies. Why should I pay for it? Whoever shoots with paintball guns at passers-by until somebody shoots back, dies. Darwin's Law at work. Whoever is stupid enough not to wear his seatbelt will be left on the pavement to die. Tough, he was a thinking adult. Why should the public pay for your stupidity? Doesn't make any sense, you can't be for free will and self-responsibility and individual rights and all, and at the same time impose the cost of these on the public in general....unless you're commie, of course.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would no more go the shooting range without my eye and ear protection, than not wear a seat belt, regardless of what the law states. To me, wearing a seat belt while driving is just like wearing ear & eye protection at the range. The thing is, we never think about it these terms; but you are more likely to be involved in a traffic collision than being shot. I never leave home without them.
View Quote

Agreed.  And for safety's sake, I should have worn it, even though I was just going down the street.  I just don't think the government should be forcing adults to wear seatbelts or helmets.  Having said that, I usually wear my seatbelt 90% of the time.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Doesn't make any sense, you can't be for free will and self-responsibility and individual rights and all, and at the same time impose the cost of these on the public in general....unless you're commie, of course.
View Quote

Are you talking about me not wearing a seat belt being communist, or the government forcing people to wear a seat belt or facing criminal penalty being communist?

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#25]
PoliticalScience, we'll sue your state on your behalf after you die of internal injuries, caused by the belt, in a crash while wearing the seatbelts that you normally wouldn't wear.  If you burn up in a vehicle fire or go into a retention pond and can't get out and drown because of the seat belt....well...we'll sue then for you too.

Seat belts can save lives, but there is no reason to mandate them.  After all, for half of the automobile's life, there weren't even seat belts in cars and it was a long time after that they were mandatory.

Even though I wear my seatbelt, I say DOWN WITH THE SEATBELT NAZIS!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Are you talking about me not wearing a seat belt being communist, or the government forcing people to wear a seat belt or facing criminal penalty being communist?
View Quote

Neither. I'm talking about you enjoying the freedom of making your own dumb decision while having others pay for it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#27]
No one said freedom would be free.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, in that case send me a Bushmaster AR15, preban please, I'd like to enjoy the freedom of my 2nd Amendment rights. Pls include 5,000 rounds of ammo, and send it postpaid to my doorstep.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#29]
When your check gets here, I'll send it right out.  Freedom isn't free, and neither are Bushmasters.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
During WW2 the speed limit's here and in the USA where lowered so that they could make more money off tickets,...
View Quote

Your source on this?

I think the speed limits were lowered in order to reduce the consumption of fuel - vital to the war effort.
View Quote

I heard it on the History channel so sorry, no link. But even if they where lowered for that purpose during war, why where they never returned to normal?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A ticket that you'll always get from me will be for unsecured kids. No execptions, and one "coupon" per kid. Four unbelted kids? Tough shit: four tickets. Nanner-nanner-nanner.

More times than not, I'll write the adults, too.

I don't write tickets to be an asshole, project my will upon others to compensate for my low self-esteem, to make up for the fact that I have a very small dick, or to meet a quota. I write to attempt to modify unacceptable behavior.

Wear your Phucking seatbelts you selfish fothermuckers.
View Quote
Hey buddy, [b]COOL IT![/b]
Here is a story where a cop-chick with your attitude caused an average citizen to dislike cops.

My friend Chris was driving with his young daughter to the grocery. Like so many kids can, she decided to throw a childish fit. She was squirming in the seat and wouldn’t sit still. She wiggled out of the seat belt despite Chris’s admonishments. They were traveling along a two lane throughfare w/o a shoulder to pull off of. He planned to turn at the next opportunity and deal with the unruly child. As fate would have it, a St. Louis County Officer traveling in the oppisite direction observed the unbelted child. As when Chris pulled off at a gravel parking lot for a truck farm, the cop-chick was already behind him with the lights on.

Chris was trying to explain the situation and calm a squalling child at the same time. The cop-chick with [b]your type of attitude[/b] had a mind like a steal trap, and wrote a ticket. End result? It created another citizen that has a diminished opinion of patrol officers.

For your information, the law is not a God. It should never be used to bludgeon citizens. But it is often is handled just that way by officers that won’t recognize that there are situations beyond the simple black and white.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm really glad some of you care enough about me to require me to protect me from myself, does this mean I can no longer ride in back of a pick up truck shooting at coyotes and stuff anymore? Do your own thinking and let the other guy do his.
Have a nice evening, Rabon...
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thank God for mandatory seat belt laws! Insurance stock dividends are up, medicare payments for "adults" who are ejected out their cars are down! It's win win.
View Quote

and
Quoted:
View Quote

[u]Time for a reality check.[/u]

If all these people wear seat belts and avoid serious cripling injuries, are you assuring us that they will never be a burden on society? Are you so sure that not a single soul will end up in a nursing home or hospice with the insurance run out, on a life support machine, with the 250 lbs black nurse changing their diapers while relying on Medicare?

While you two and others are being so [b]smug,[/b] tell us that [b]YOU[/b] have made adequate plans so that you will not be a burden on society. Do you have long term health care insurance? Have you adequate life insurance so that you don’t burden your family with an untimely demise? Can you assure us that you have [i]Long Term Care Insurance?[/I] [b]Have you signed a DNR[/b] so that your family is not burdened with a difficult decision or that society is not burdened if you have no surviving guardian?

Too many times people can pick the nit out of their neighbors eye while ignoring the glaring faults in their own. Wearing a seat belt is just one minor decision in daily life where there are many other more productive ways to contribute to a better society. There are no guarantees in life. Wearing a seat belt - or not - just shuffles the cards.

Seat belt laws DO make nanny-state politicians feel good, and move health care payouts from the auto insurance companies now to the HMO’s and Medicare/Medicaid later on. Oh, and don’t forget the revenue collections for municipalities, that too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
PoliSci - You were being facetious in your post, but you were correct on nearly all counts.

Except... It doesn't just affect you. And it isn't about "freedom" either - it's about responsibility. Specifically your responsibility for your own ass and that of your fellow drivers.

Driving a pickup with a bench seat? You get low-speed tagged in the right quarterpanel by Granny and your ass will slide all the way over to the passenger side. Now - who's in control of that vehicle? You? No. I'll be so bold as to assume you didn't want to sail over the median and crash into mom and kids in the minivan, either. (True story - I worked the scene)

Or, Granny rolls you and you get ejected. More likely than not, you will die.

I will [i]usually[/i] write the adults, too.

I don't write tickets to be an asshole, project my will upon others to compensate for my low self-esteem, to make up for the fact that I have a very small dick, or to meet a quota. I write to attempt to modify unacceptable behavior. If I can do that with a kind word, stern word instead of a ticket, I will do that.

For the uninitiated, I'm a Public Safety Officer. That means, I have all the duties of Cop, Paramedic, and Firefighter - all in one job. (Yes, I am not sane.)

I have yet to unbuckle a dead body in over 15 years in this and related fields. Yeah, it happens, but rarely.

And believe you me that I know from where I speak 'cause I see all three angles to it.

[size=6][red][b][i]Wear your Phucking seatbelts you selfish fothermuckers.[/i][/b][/red][/size=6]

Incidently, I don't believe in helmet laws, I believe that driving is a RIGHT, I've never given a ticket to a CWP holder, and the day the boss wants me to confiscate guns I'll throw my badge at him and go home and help my neighbors load mags and fill sandbags. -So stuff the facist cop crap where the sun don't shine.

P3[pyro][soapbox][heavy]
View Quote

i havent read all the posts but yours caught me.  i agree with you 100% about ticketing people for not having their kids in restraints!  but its my choice if i want it.  the granny thing.... if it wasnt a granny and someone speeding hit you broad side i would rather fly out of the way then be stuck their when your door is plowed into the center console right through u.  they definatly help in head on collisions but thats about it. thats just my opinion.  it shouldnt be a law because some leo's will pull you over to check you and if they dont find anything they will nail you for that.  its just a fallback to save their asses. they can always write u for that and you cant say anything.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You're not one of the lawyers

View Quote

Ewwww! What a nasty thing to call somebody!

suing the gun manufacturers, are you? Same rational they are using to recover the costs of treating all the gunshot wounds. All because you want to enjoy your Second Amendment rights.
View Quote

You're not pointing your gun at your foot and pulling the trigger to see if it's loaded either, or are you? Would be your own adult decision, after all. "I'm old enough to know there's no cartridge in the chamber." You show up at the range, wearing neither ear nor eye protection, crossing everybody with your muzzle, shooting while others set up their targets, run around with the finger on the trigger, etc....you bet I'll chase you away to find some other place to injure yourself. You could scream all day long about your 2nd Amendment rights, you'd still not be shooting anywhere near me.

Once you grow up, not only will you have "adult" rights, but also adult responsibilities.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I remember when the law went into effect here in Texas.  If the mandatory seat belt law was supposed to save us money, why didn't the insurance companies across the state lower our rates?

Because it has more to do with profits and control than with saving the people money.  And while seat belts do save lives, they've done a good job at convincing people that everyone should be forced by the government to wear them, even though it poses no one else a safety risk.

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.  And for safety's sake, I should have worn it, even though I was just going down the street.  I just don't think the government should be forcing adults to wear seatbelts or helmets.  Having said that, I usually wear my seatbelt 90% of the time.

View Quote

But you must remember that we here on this board probably represent a very small overall percentage of the general USA population. For example think of how many people in the general population vote, let alone intelligently, i.e. knowing the issues. But generally most people don't vote, and so therefore these folks need a litle extra incentive to buckle-up in order to save their own miserable lives.

Personally, I don't agree with these nanny BS govt laws, but on the other hand you have to look at the flip side,  you gotta admit most people in the general population ain't too bright.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
...otherwise you might get a $80 ticket like I did today.

I'm sure it's "for my own good", but I'm an adult now, and I'm the only one that stands to lose in a collision is me.  Additionally, I was polite and the cop was an asshole-extraordinaire.

I know seat belts save lives, but mandatory seat belt and helmet laws for adults are just another way the government "protects you from yourself".

I'm sure the roads are a much safer place for everyone now that I'm wearing my seatbelt and no longer a threat to others.

P.S. I'm sure officer pudgy-flattop's ego is flyin' high now.
View Quote

Personally, I don't care if someone does something that might get only them self killed:
The human gene pool needs a little cleaning once in a while.

With that said, it's possible that pudgy-flattop has done one too many fatal traffic crash investigations where the "body" wasn't wearing a seat belt.

I would check one other thing:
Before you "pay the man", check if an adult seat belt violation is P.C. for a traffic stop in Texas.

In many states, it's not, and if the cop can't come up with a good reason why he pulled you over, you might just win this thing.

Jay

[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

[u]Time for a reality check.[/u]

If all these people wear seat belts and avoid serious cripling injuries, are you assuring us that they will never be a burden on society?
View Quote
Huh? I assure you I will be statistically less of a burden compared to a person who does not. Am I wrong on this? Are you saying I will be more of a burden if I do not wear the belt? No. Therefore, I will be less of a burden. Itso Fatso

Are you so sure that not a single soul will end up in a nursing home or hospice with the insurance run out, on a life support machine, with the 250 lbs black nurse changing their diapers while relying on Medicare?
View Quote

Quite irrelevant! Dont be stupid, of course I'm not saying a single soul would never be a burden if we all wore seat belts. We are talking about whether the use of seat belts will reduces (not eliminates) the above; of course OTHER things could happen, in fact, I am sure ANYTHING could happen. Maybe one day aliens will come and suck us out of our cars with people magnets. I will remain safely inside because my seat belt will hold me in. Now who is being stupid! There will be egg on your face sir!

While you two and others are being so [b]smug,[/b] tell us that [b]YOU[/b] have made adequate plans so that you will not be a burden on society. Do you have long term health care insurance? Have you adequate life insurance so that you don’t burden your family with an untimely demise? Can you assure us that you have [i]Long Term Care Insurance?[/I] [b]Have you signed a DNR[/b] so that your family is not burdened with a difficult decision or that society is not burdened if you have no surviving guardian?
View Quote

Yes! I have a short term disability policy and an umbrella cancer policy! AFLAC has some good deals, they take it out of my paycheck using pre-tax dollars.

Too many times people can pick the nit out of their neighbors eye while ignoring the glaring faults in their own.
View Quote

yeah, but I wear my seat belt. You still havent convinced me this is bad.

Wearing a seat belt is just one minor decision in daily life where there are many other more productive ways to contribute to a better society. There are no guarantees in life. Wearing a seat belt - or not - just shuffles the cards.

Seat belt laws DO make nanny-state politicians feel good, and move health care payouts from the auto insurance companies now to the HMO’s and Medicare/Medicaid later on. Oh, and don’t forget the revenue collections for municipalities, that too.
View Quote

Move payments to HMOs? huh? municipalities make money on it eh? well, they dont make any on me; again, I'm still seeing this as win win (see above insurance and medicaid reference). Yeah, I guess we all could do many things to make society better. But then again, we are talking about seat belts.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#43]
... Well said [b]ParaPyroPig[/b]. I agree, with as many bad habits we all have it doen't hurt to take up a good one. Was that [b]brouhaha[/b] that just rolled his Beemer? With the top down he might have been ejected and squirshed instead of walking away.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Seatbelt laws are really not intended because the Policewant to show their love and concern for the public they serve, these laws are intended as a route around probable cause. The idea being that a violation can be found on any car or driver once the vehicle is pulled over. Its a profit deal with quota's and bonus's, and raises, and promotions for production.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hey buddy, [b]COOL IT![/b]
Here is a story where a cop-chick with your attitude caused an average citizen to dislike cops.

My friend Chris was driving with his young daughter to the grocery. Like so many kids can, she decided to throw a childish fit. She was squirming in the seat and wouldn’t sit still. She wiggled out of the seat belt despite Chris’s admonishments. They were traveling along a two lane throughfare w/o a shoulder to pull off of. He planned to turn at the next opportunity and deal with the unruly child. As fate would have it, a St. Louis County Officer traveling in the oppisite direction observed the unbelted child. As when Chris pulled off at a gravel parking lot for a truck farm, the cop-chick was already behind him with the lights on.

Chris was trying to explain the situation and calm a squalling child at the same time. The cop-chick with [b]your type of attitude[/b] had a mind like a steal trap, and wrote a ticket. End result? It created another citizen that has a diminished opinion of patrol officers.

For your information, the law is not a God. It should never be used to bludgeon citizens. But it is often is handled just that way by officers that won’t recognize that there are situations beyond the simple black and white.
View Quote

Wow, that's awful. Oh yeah, if instead of law enforcement they had had a meeting with the laws of physics, a crash, the outcome would be much worse. The law of physics doesn't accept waiver, or excuses and won't be impressed with your story either. Laws of physics will bludgeon you if you disobey them.

FYI you pull off ONTO the shoulder, and the phrase is "steel trap". Steal trap sound like something PETA would do to trappers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I wear my seat belt always. However, at least in Maryland, they don't even bother denying it's a revenue generating scheme. They have roadside check points where 4-5 State Police set up and pull over anybody they see not wearing a belt. I've seen, on more than one occasion, people nearly crash their cars due to the sudden slowdown of people going by the checkpoint. Safety? Yeah right! That's their motivation! They are armed badged tax collectors no matter what anybody says, and as mentioned, they don't even bother to deny it.
Just one more reason to hate Maryland I suppose.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
...but its my choice if i want it.
View Quote

Selfish fothermucker.

the granny thing.... if it wasnt a granny and someone speeding hit you broad side i would rather fly out of the way then be stuck their when your door is plowed into the center console right through u.
View Quote

You are an organ donor, right? Perhaps I wasn't clear... I apologize. Numbers don't lie. The safest place to be in a crash is seatbelted in your seat. Period. Full stop. End of message.

...they definatly help in head on collisions but thats about it. thats just my opinion.
View Quote

Opinion it may be, but it's wrong.

...it shouldnt be a law because some leo's will pull you over to check you and if they dont find anything they will nail you for that.  its just a fallback to save their asses.
View Quote

BTFW, in Florida, not wearing a seatbelt is not a legal reason for a traffic stop, unlike in Texas.

P3[pyro][^][heavy]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#48]
If it is all in the name of safety, race car drivers wear helmets.  I wonder why the states don't require their use?
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Your source on this?

View Quote

I heard it on the History channel so sorry, no link. But even if they where lowered for that purpose during war, why where they never returned to normal?
View Quote

??????????? Urban legend is a phrase that comes to mind.

1) Have you ever really looked at 1930's-40's cars? Fairly heavy and not so powerful. Brakes were very weak.
2) Do you know what highway looked like back then? Train was the main form of long distance freight and passenger movement.
3) How exactly were speed limits enforced during WWII?? Radar wasn't even invented until the war was under way.
4) During the 70's fuel crisis the US mandated a national speed limit. Prior to that places like Montana, Nevada, and Arizona allowed most of their daytime speed limits to be set by the laws of physics.

Grimshaw, In WI seatbelt tickets are $10.00, secondary enforcement, except for small children. It costs $38.00 to process that $10.00 ticket. I'm bad at math...............
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top