Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/26/2011 9:38:44 PM EDT
So I live in this town that has 3 traffic lights a gas station and a grocery store. it is about 10 miles from anything else. I forgot to get smokes before the stores closed and I got to thinking what I hate about small towns, and what I like. So for you small town folks what do you like/dislike.

I start.

Everything closes at 9 (dislike)

Everyone is nicer out here than in town (like)
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#1]
dislike     fucked up gravel road
like         everything else
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
My town is only smallish but pretty much nothing...except the smallish pool of women and the drama that can come with that
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
When rumors hit the ladies' morning coffee table, they move faster through town than it would  on Facebook.

Never underestimate the  ladies' morning coffee table, gentlemen.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Not many females.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I live 10 miles out of the nearest town.

I don't hate it. I love it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Meth labs...

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Everything I dislike about living in a small town is nothing compared to what I hate about the city...

Dislikes: no women here my age(24)
              No bars or dance halls to go drink at
              No theaters or clothing stores.

Friendly people and I know half the town
         I can shoot at my house
         I can see the stars
         No violent crimes
         Slow pace
         No liberals

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My town is only smallish but pretty much nothing...except the smallish pool of women and the drama that can come with that

Where are you in CA?
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The lack of food options... and other retail options..

Id still rather live in a small town or not really in town than live in the city or burbs.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#10]
The mini mart is the only thing open past 6 (other than wally world).

The mall is at least 45 minutes away.

It's hard to get a job, because the chief justice's family likes to "run" the town.

Lots of types of stores missing, because there's not enough people to make building one feasible.  
The good news is, though, that my range has 500 yards, an indoor pistol range, and skeet fields for $39/year, and I can go any time I want.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not many females.

+1 The "pool" of women has dried up....

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Dislike the paved roads. Liked them better when they were gravel.

Like the way everyone knows everyone. Allows for better expression of my individuality.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Grew up in the suburbs of Oklahoma City, now going to college in a small town.

Like:

more relaxed

more opportunities to do things outdoors

Dislike:

one three screen theater with crappy speakers

no good restaurants

the nearest place to take a girl on a decent date is an hour and a half drive away (back in oklahoma city)

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Over time, we learned to stock up. You can have everything you buy at the store at your house.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you in CA?

Redding

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]
The only thing I ever disliked about growing up in a small town was the lack of some organized sports.  I always wanted to play hockey, but the nearest rink was about 45 minutes away.  I played pond hockey instead.  

Other than that, I love it.  Now I'm stuck living in an apartment in the suburbs and hate every minute of it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Over time, we learned to stock up. You can have everything you buy at the store at your house.

Not having many food options doesn't mean being ilprepared. You can have a years worth of stored food and still want Thai or Arabic food on occasion
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Grew up in the suburbs of Oklahoma City, now going to college in a small town.

Like:
more relaxed
more opportunities to do things outdoors

Dislike:
one three screen theater with crappy speakers
no good restaurants
the nearest place to take a girl on a decent date is an hour and a half drive away (back in oklahoma city)

If it has a college, its not a small town.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Lack of hookers and good blow.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah the Gas station is where to get the info on anyone in town. I have lived here 2 months and the chick that owns it can tell me more about my life than I know
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lack of hookers and good blow.

Shoulda been post #1
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah the Gas station is where to get the info on anyone in town. I have lived here 2 months and the chick that owns it can tell me more about my life than I know

This was one thing that really threw me off after we moved.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#23]
There is nothing I hated about living in a small town.  I grew up in one, and the population hasn't changed.  We still don't have a single traffic light.

I'd live there today, if I could afford to.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I am about to move back to a small town. I'm tired of the city.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Is 8,000 people "small"?

I hate that shit closes here early, and there is nowhere for someone under 21 to go after 10pm(thanks Wy)

I also HATE seeing people I don't like. When I have to walk to or from work, once a week I have to change my route because I see someone else walking that I just don't want to talk to.

I love that the town where I live has very nice people running the many small businesses, and I like being able to get around town just by walking, or taking the free bus.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Is 8,000 people "small"?

We have just a hair over 4,000.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Well maybe I don't count. I came from Baltimore so anything less then half a mil is small to me.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is 8,000 people "small"?

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is 8,000 people "small"?

Shit, my mom lives in a town of 2,000 and there are 4 bars.
That is in IL btw.  I love visiting there, nice people in that town.

edit: it isn't a one stop light town, it is a one stopsign town
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Dislike:

Everything except bars and grocery stores are closed on Sundays.

Everything except bars and grocery stores close early the other six days of the week.

Have to drive somewhere else to do any kind of real shopping or even watch a movie.

Like:

Not much crime.

People are nice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Before I moved into "the city", I lived in a bump in the road town 30 miles out.  It had no red lights, or even a flashing light.  I hated the drive, but after dealing with "bump bump bump bump" while trying to sleep where I live now, I'm will to commute again.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#32]
The small town people and mentality.  I lived for a number of years near a very small town.  We were outsiders from the get-go.  Son caught a lot of bad treatment in school from the principal on down  (had to transfer him to the big school, graduating class of 12).   Had a difficult time with getting plumbers etc to come out.  Truly a fucked-up experience.  Being it was Oklahoma too, so that was part of the problem.

Yahoo ran a news article a couple of years back reporting how these small towns in flyover states drying up and in danger of turning into ghost towns that sold, or gave away, houses and land to entice people to relocate there.  They ran into the same thing and a lot moved back to where they came from.  That Andy Griffith happy small town myth is a bunch of bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Everyone knows everyone.  Its both a plus and a minus.  

fwiw, in my town.  If you dont know someone.  You are probably related to them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I lived in a town of 10k or so until I was 8 or so, then moved to a town of 20k or so on the outskirts of DFW, so I never really appreciated what either one had to offer or not offer. After the town I grew up in grew to 70k+, it was no longer a town, it was a city. Plenty of options for anything within a few minutes drive. That was the only benefit, otherwise snobs and douchebags from the city or other states filled it up.

However, within 10 minutes in the opposite direction you could be driving an FM road and be at the lake. Same thing with where I live now. It's a college town to an extent, has plenty of stores and bars, yet if I drive 10 minutes North I'll be in the middle of nowhere and at the lake. I'd say my preference is to be on the outskirts of the suburbs so I can go one way for what I may want now, or one way for what I want tomorrow, and not have but 20 minutes trravel time between the two locations
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I live in a one traffic light town... on an island so I cant drive to somewhere decent.  I hate that there is only one... maybe two new different movies a week.   I hate that theres no burger king.  I hate that the part you need is never at the parts store.  I like that everything I need is so close.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So I live in this town that has 3 traffic lights a gas station and a grocery store. it is about 10 miles from anything else. I forgot to get smokes before the stores closed and I got to thinking what I hate about small towns, and what I like. So for you small town folks what do you like/dislike.

I start.

Everyone is nicer out here than in town (like)

Where you live I would call "The Big City"

Small towns where Im at in Southern Indiana, dont have stoplights, perhaps a stop sign.....

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is 8,000 people "small"?

Shit we got a whoping 1700
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Lack of exotic groceries.

Have to go to various specialty stores in the city for some of my favored sauces and foreign foods.

Also the seafood locally isn't as good as you can get in the city.  Lots of stuff here that you can get is cheaper in the city too. That's mostly stuff that's produced in the city itself, like Volpi salamis and such. It's worth it to go to their store every once in a while.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#39]
and I thought 16k was small
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
and I thought 16k was small

dude you live in canadia

isn't that bigger than your nation's capital?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#41]
My town has a post office, general store (hilariously high prices, closes at 7), a restaurant (open 3 days a week), and a bar (which is always packed with locals). That's it - that's all the businesses for 20 miles

I love it. It just requires more planning. Going to the grocery store is an hour round trip just for the driving.

We get power outages about once a month, but that doesn't bother me. Just means I watch movies by lantern light instead of overhead light. There's a community well and pumping station (serves about 300 households). I wasn't a fan of the flavor when I first moved here but I like it now. I have a 250 gallon propane tank (water heater, stove/oven, and furnace - all of which work when the power is out!)

I have tons of room for my ham radio antennas and space for all my vehicles.

CATV is available here, but it's expensive so I don't have it. Don't need it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well maybe I don't count. I came from Baltimore so anything less then half a mil is small to me.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is 8,000 people "small"?

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#43]
No movie theater.

Nothing to do without driving into Houston.

Only a few decent places to eat.  

Fewer unmarried women.  The ones who are unmarried are fat or on welfare or have tons of kids or no life aspirations.  The ones who have aspirations move away and become city girls.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

My town has a post office, general store (hilariously high prices, closes at 7), a restaurant (open 3 days a week), and a bar (which is always packed with locals). That's it - that's all the businesses for 20 miles

I love it. It just requires more planning. Going to the grocery store is an hour round trip just for the driving.

We get power outages about once a month, but that doesn't bother me. Just means I watch movies by lantern light instead of overhead light. There's a community well and pumping station (serves about 300 households). I wasn't a fan of the flavor when I first moved here but I like it now. I have a 250 gallon propane tank (water heater, stove/oven, and furnace - all of which work when the power is out!)

I have tons of room for my ham radio antennas and space for all my vehicles.

CATV is available here, but it's expensive so I don't have it. Don't need it.

you can buy CATV online pretty cheap, but I prefer CAT 6 heres a link for ya:

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:15:29 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

If you have something that stays open till 9 I wouldn't call that a small town. I guess all things are relative.

In a "small town" when the fire truck goes by old ladies call the next person down the road/street until they find out where it stopped. That process happened faster up till about 5 years ago becaus they still had party lines.

In a "small town" the paper comes out once a week.

In a "small town" the sherrif checks ID by asking "Whose boy are you?"

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:04:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That was myfirst thought, lack of pussy selection and variety..........we only have one 4 way stop here..no stop lights..........stickville..........

I probably just eliminated 1/4 of the town as potential freinds with the disagreement over my tranny rebuild........I'll miss the guy as a freind, he's a good 'ol boy that would do most anything for you......except be square in his buiseness.

This town is under 2000. 3 gas stations and 3 restaurants, one Sonic (hate that shit0. 2 small bars where most everybody knows everybody else, except me.......
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:07:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The small town people and mentality.  I lived for a number of years near a very small town.  We were outsiders from the get-go.  Son caught a lot of bad treatment in school from the principal on down  (had to transfer him to the big school, graduating class of 12).   Had a difficult time with getting plumbers etc to come out.  Truly a fucked-up experience.  Being it was Oklahoma too, so that was part of the problem.

Yahoo ran a news article a couple of years back reporting how these small towns in flyover states drying up and in danger of turning into ghost towns that sold, or gave away, houses and land to entice people to relocate there.  They ran into the same thing and a lot moved back to where they came from.  That Andy Griffith happy small town myth is a bunch of bullshit.

I keep hearing this sort of BS from people who never lived in a small town. We moved here from the city 3 years ago and have been welcomed with open arms and the people are very friendly. My son got picked on in the first six months and then he started kicking the bullies' asses, now no one messes with him and he's very popular.

Never had a problem getting anyone to come out, plumber included and it was cheaper than the city as well. Of course I've since learned to be more self sufficient and do such things myself and rarely need to call someone to come fix something.

Our town is too small to call a town, it's classified a village; just over 2000 people. We live about 5 miles outside.

We have a nice little Mayberry here, thank you very much. No Andy Griffith though, that asshole is a libtard. Our cops like guns and dislike Obama. All three of them, when they are on duty.

Alot of the people that live here are transplants from the city, most in the village were born here and they are damn nice people that I'm glad to call my neighbors. We are all courteous to each other and help when needed and wave a friendly greeting when we pass.

Sounds like you maybe belong in a city.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:14:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have something that stays open till 9 I wouldn't call that a small town. I guess all things are relative.

In a "small town" when the fire truck goes by old ladies call the next person down the road/street until they find out where it stopped. That process happened faster up till about 5 years ago becaus they still had party lines.

In a "small town" the paper comes out once a week.

In a "small town" the sherrif checks ID by asking "Whose boy are you?"

You got a newspaper? Well aren't you fancy!

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:24:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I grew up in a rural area of a small town.
Things I like: no real crime, you know pretty much everyone, its "home".

Things I don't like: small towns are disappearing, there seems to be an "upity" or arrogantness vibe that small town people have, you really can't go back after you leave for many years, getting to be more expensive to live in than larger towns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#50]
The county I used to live in when I was in Colorado had under 4,000 people.  I was there when they got their first traffic light.  That would be the first traffic light in the whole county.  And people were beside themselves with how it was a bad sign (which might have been true).  The problem with that was that it was 30 to 40 minutes to a "real" grocery store (They used to give you dry ice at the grocery store to keep your frozen stuff frozen as some people would drive even farther distances) and 1.5 hours to the get to a town with significant shopping and restaurants.  

Now I am in a town of about 15,000 and it's better, but you still have to travel for a lot of things I used to take for granted when I lived in a bigger town.

Other than the conveniences like shopping and attractions like zoos, concerts, museums, etc., there isn't much I miss about a bigger town.  I certainly don't miss the traffic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top