Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2002 2:29:48 PM EDT
What is it?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Its most effective when it gets in your eyes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry First Defense....just a recommendation...stay away from the foam...I've been sprayed with both liquid and foam and the liquid was far worse....affected me faster and hurt for longer....the foam was on my face for about 30 seconds before I even felt anything.  The liquid took about 5 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I also use First Defense.  I agree with staying away from foam.  Another bad thing about foam is the bad guy can wipe it off and throw it back at you.  Just something to think about.

medcop
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know if First Defense has a web site but I imagine that that they do.  Check Streichers.  They sell First Defense.  Most law enforcement supply places sell it.  A few might restrict it to LEO for some stupid reason but most will sell it to everyone.  They have different sizes too.  I've also seen First Defense at gun stores in my area.  Usually in the small personal sizes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#7]
One more thing....avoid any types that contain alcohol...it's a fire hazard if you spray someone with it.  There has been at least one case that I know of where cops sprayed someone with it and then tasered him.  I'll leave the results up to your imagination.  I don't think many, if any, departments issue alcohol based types anymore.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I always heard Fox is really good.

[url]www.selfdefenseproducts.com/pepper.htm[/url]

I've used the outfit above and everything went okay.

[url]www.peppersprayinc.com/fox_labs_pepper_spray.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a can of pepper spray marked Glock 36.  Guaranteed to work against any attacker.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 3:15:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One more thing....avoid any types that contain alcohol...it's a fire hazard if you spray someone with it.  There has been at least one case that I know of where cops sprayed someone with it and then tasered him.  I'll leave the results up to your imagination.  I don't think many, if any, departments issue alcohol based types anymore.
View Quote

[flame][flame][flame][flame][flame][flame][flame][flame][flame][flame][flame][flame][flame][flame][flame][flame][flame]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:10:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Pepper Spray is measured in SHUs ([b]Scoville Heat Units[/b]) make sure you get the 2,000,000 SHU stuff, personally I like the Bear Guard 10% 2 million SHU spray as it's probably the strongest, IMHO.

That said, recent viewers of "Worlds Wildest Cop Videos" has shown pepper sprays to be somewhat lacking in some situations, however after having been sprayed on more than one occasion, I can attest to the eventual effectiveness of properly handled high SHU sprays. Please note high wind/breezes can also get the sprayer as well as the sprayee. Just be aware that proper application is still not equated to instant incapacitation in all situations.

Hope this helps out,
Mike
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]
PUNCH is supposedly quite good for a misting spray (good for a woman who may be too frightened to aim).  
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#13]
the flammable stuff is "punch" made by aerko inc of ft lauderdale, fl, it is highly effectiv, due to the evaporation effect of the alcohol, unfortunately much to the chagrin of some NYPD transit officers in the 80's, highly flammable.
aerko markets a product known as freeze+p which is a combination of oc and cs , used by my and most depts in michigan.  i can personally attest to the effectiveness of the stuff in MOST situations, the biggestmistake people make is that they think it will work instantly, not true.  i personally was able to see and fight back for at least 10 seconds, and once 30 or seconds, and if you've ever wrestled a psycopath, 30 seconds is a lifetime.
also keep in mind that percentage doesn't mean jack.
for example i have been sprayed by some cheap (BTW i am an aerosol instructor)off brand 10% "SUPER SPRAY" and 1% freeze+p, and the freeze was a LOT stronger, it's the SHU that's important. you also have to take into consideration, spray or mist, propellent, and liquid,alcohol,or water based.

here are some good brands.

bodyguard
freeze+p
budokan (local brand, i think, but GOOD stuff)
mace brand pepper
punch
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#14]
i would have to go with freeze +p. i was horsing around at work one day with one of my co-workers,and guess who got sprayed? just imagine being dropped into the fourth level of hell. in my mind,there is no better way to describe this awful experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top