Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2011 1:28:55 PM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/25/energy-america-oil-drilling-denial/

"Shell Oil Company has announced it must scrap efforts to drill for oil this summer in the Arctic Ocean off the northern coast of Alaska. The decision comes following a ruling by the EPA’s Environmental Appeals Board to withhold critical air permits. The move has angered some in Congress and triggered a flurry of legislation aimed at stripping the EPA of its oil drilling oversight."
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The EPA should be stripped of about 90% of it's power and most of it's personal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck the EPA
Fuck Obama

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Whatever would we do with our own oil!?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
All over "greenhouse gas" emissions. Fucking global warming BULLSHIT. The only thing it's about is control and money.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow.  So Shell just got screwed out of 5 billion.  So this will help lower gas prices right?  Right?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Sad.  You know, if I end up working in Oil & Gas for the rest of my career... I think I am going to be leaving the USA soon.

Sad day when I read that China's hiring, but we aren't.  

ETA: FUCK THE EPA.  I've never EVER seen a regulator on any location checking if proper procedure has been followed, yet they do this... Just further proves to me they don't give a shit about the environment!  They are just an enforcer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The EPA needs to de-funded, period.  They have way too much power. Their ass hole decisions impact our lives everyday and do little more than drive the cost of everything up, and stifle progress.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The EPA needs to de-funded, period.  They have way too much power. Their ass hole decisions impact our lives everyday and do little more than drive the cost of everything up, and stifle progress.

That would go a long way to reducing the deficit.  Cut that, the Department of Ag, Department of Education and Department of Energy.  Abolish Medicaid as that is not a pay-benefit model, unlike Medicare and Social Security.  Budget is now balanced.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The EPA should be stripped of about 90% of it's power and most of it's personal.

It should be disbanded entirely and most if not all of its personnel issued pink slips.  There is almost nothing the EPA does (if anything at all) that has any sort of Constitutional basis, and there is certainly nothing Constitutional that it does that cannot be or is not already to some degree being done by other agencies.  It and the laws that underly it are also without a doubt quite harmful to this country, to the States, to the form of government we should have, to the economy, and to the individuals that make up this country.  What little good they do is very much outweighed by the bad.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I can agree with that 110%.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That would go a long way to reducing the deficit.  Cut that, the Department of Ag, Department of Education and Department of Energy.  Abolish Medicaid as that is not a pay-benefit model, unlike Medicare and Social Security.  Budget is now balanced.

So why haven't you announced your candidacy? Hmm?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So why haven't you announced your candidacy? Hmm?

Ambassador John Bolton.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All over "greenhouse gas" emissions. Fucking global warming BULLSHIT. The only thing it's about is control and money.

From what I read, it is about the emissions of a ship not included in the permit application, that is the problem.......fucking EPA needs to be the former EPA that no longer exists
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#15]
How much you want to bet that some other country gets drilling rights?

It is becoming evident that there are those within that want to bring our country down.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How much you want to bet that some other country gets drilling rights?

It is becoming evident that there are those within that want to bring our country down.

Not going to happen.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think it should be stripped 100%, and then everyone who worked there should be in jail and lose all voting rights.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

# $695 billion (+4.9%) – Social Security

# $453 billion (+6.6%) – Medicare

Social security and Medicare would both have to go as well for there to even be a shot at balancing the budget.

I agree with getting rid of all those bullshit executive branch departments.  However, those three you mentioned only comprise about $100 billion in spending.  Medicaid is another 290.

These numbers are from the 2010 budget.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I believe that we sell most of the Alaska oil overseas.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Where do high oil prices come from?

Manipulators?

If anyone is manipulating the price it is this administration. Obama might as well be a sleeper agent for the rich Arabs.

Stopping all drilling here (case in point).

Printing money like a piss poor banana republic.

Encouraging the Arab street to revolt raising oil prices.

Fighting a half-assed war in Libya designed to be prolonged and to keep that countries oil production off line (with... what a coincidence... those same rich arabs from the gulf).
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't matter.  It's a worldwide commodity and is part of the worldwide supply / price structure.

IIRC, most of it goes to Japan.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I might even think about stripping it of its personnel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be interested in seeing information that agreed with you.

All I could find is consistent with this answer:

When the Trans Alaska Pipeline was constructed it was illegal to ship any of the oil from Alaska to other countries. Then durring the Clinton Administration when oil was $8 a barrel, that law was changed. For 2 years Alyeska Pipeline Terminal shipped to Japan and South Korea a total of 5 times. They decided that this was not cost effective and now they no longer ship there. This was years ago. Now all the oil goes to refineries in Washington State, California and Hawaii. It provides most of the fuel in the Northwestern States. None of it leaves the country.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_does_the_crude_oil_from_Alaska_go
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#25]
EPA isn't the one behind this.  This is the Obama Administration using the EPA to push its agenda.

And the EPA isn't going anywhere anytime soon –– nor should it go away completely.  Resolving disputes and issues arising from interstate pollution is exactly what the Founders thought the federal government should do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow.  So Shell just got screwed out of 5 billion.  So this will help lower gas prices right?  Right?

The real question is how much did the EPA screw the Federal / Local Treasury out of?

If a gallon of gas cost $1 the Govt Entities get $0.13. <––- All for just sticking out their hands

Shell Oil gets $0.22 <–––– Out of this is the cost of refining, marketing, distribution, wages, etc.

OPEC (or the Crude Market) gets $0.65  <–––– Cost of Crude Oil

Source:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/gas-price1.htm

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#27]
"Critical Air Permit"  WTF
Just think; 40 percent of those fees went out to Soros connected oil company to drill off the coast of Brazil.  Pretty soon we're not going to be able to grow the food to feed half the world and we're not going to be able to give charity overseas either.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
EPA isn't the one behind this.  This is the Obama Administration using the EPA to push its agenda.

And the EPA isn't going anywhere anytime soon –– nor should it go away completely.  Resolving disputes and issues arising from interstate pollution is exactly what the Founders thought the federal government should do.

Interstate pollution is not interstate commerce.  What does apply to making regular commerce between the States is something that can easily be taken care of by other agencies dedicated to that task.  There's really nothing that the EPA legitimately should be doing that cannot be done by other agencies, making what would be left of the EPA after a massive set of cuts and loss of power rather superfluous and therefore maintaining it would be wasteful spending, which as such should be eliminated.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The EPA should be stripped of about 90% of it's power and most of it's personnel.

YES.  Noone seems to realize how our economy has become a command and control regulatory monster.  I don't think anyone thought the EPA would morph into this thing it has become, where every act performed by industry has to be vetted and approved by the government before it can happen.  The clean air act is not just about clean air.

The last EPA thing that put me over the edge is the remote incinerator rule.  The rule was proposed and put into effect almost as fast as we could get opinions on it from a manufacturer of a new incinerator and input from our environmental attorney.

That is turning a ~$200,000 project - already meeting stringent EPA requirements - into a $750,000 project with about $70,000 in annual monitoring costs and specially trained personnel to operate it.  COME ON!  This is a household and office trash burner.  If we can't burn it, it goes into a landfill 100 miles away.

This rule applies to about 88 facilities nationwide, and 5 incinerators in a defined catagory our incinerator fits in.  The stated reason for these stringent rules (LL Hg, ~10 ppm CO, etc.) is to improve public health.  The rules are supposed to cost ~250 million per year, and "lengthen" the lives of ~50 people per year.  

How far out on the statistical tail do they grab THAT number.  WTF?  What about remote do they not understand?  We could be burning whole forests with no impact on public health.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Sad. You know, if I end up working in Oil & Gas for the rest of my career... I think I am going to be leaving the USA soon.

It's already happening. Started working in the oil industry in the late 70's. Been overseas now for about 6 years. Have seen lots of changes in the industry.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me know when you are running and I will shoot all of your commercials for free.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

# $695 billion (+4.9%) – Social Security

# $453 billion (+6.6%) – Medicare

Social security and Medicare would both have to go as well for there to even be a shot at balancing the budget.

I agree with getting rid of all those bullshit executive branch departments.  However, those three you mentioned only comprise about $100 billion in spending.  Medicaid is another 290.

These numbers are from the 2010 budget.

I was using a Laffer model which through regulation reduction would stimulate business.  The increased velocity of the money supply would more than make up for the increased baby boom generation benefit costs.  Yeah, left out HHS, HUD, privatization of GSEs Fanny Mae, Freddy Mac.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, by regulations, it is all destined for the West Coast terminals.  But with the pumping costs over the Rockies, it remains somewhat stranded.  Especially with the increase in Canadian oil through the Midwest and Cushing OK hub.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me know when you are running and I will shoot all of your commercials for free.  

This is not the Droid you are looking for.  That is Ambassador John Bolton

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#35]
who would show up to enforce if it they just didn't give a fuck and did their thing?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

who would show up to enforce if it they just didn't give a fuck and did their thing?

The EPA is everywhere.  They would know and the fines would sink Shell.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That doesn't matter.  It's a worldwide commodity and is part of the worldwide supply / price structure.

IIRC, most of it goes to Japan.

It does matter if the argument is that we should expand domestic drilling to ease domestic needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top