Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 4/24/2011 7:59:51 PM EDT
(I'm sure some will bitch, so there is a short version at the end)

So I'm 90% sure I got pulled over by a fake cop. I was on a 120 or so mile trip, I make it a couple of times a week, so usually when I do, I'm pretty zoned out, just driving along. There is one area on the road where a two lane highway(65MPH limit) merges with another two lane highway(55MPH limit) and it all goes to 55MPH as it goes through a city. So for a bit there is four lanes. I was in the left hand most lane, put on my turn signal,  got over to the first middle lane, drove for 500 feet or so, repeated the process twice more, as the lane I want splits off from the right most lane.

So as I get over into the last lane(this is mind you just driving along like I normally do, I normally travel 5miles over, so 60 or so) this tan car comes right up on my ass. Now I saw it following me threw the turn process, it was meandering about 500 feet back or so. It *looks* like a police car, maybe an older crown vic. But no markings, no push bar, no lic plate in the front. Which isn't un-normal, but just saying what I saw. So this guy gets right on my ass, and lights up a red cherry. Just a single light, sitting on his dash. Now, my aunt was in the EMS, and I know she had a single cherry like that, so I figured maybe this guy needed to get by. So I get back over into one of the middle passing lanes. At this point I take notice of his head lights, they aren't on, let alone flashing. I've seen some unmarked cop cars that have there parking lights flash, or whatever smaller lights they have, or a set of flashing red and blue in between the head lights. This car has nothing.

Well, this guy gets right behind me in the middle lane. So I'm kind of going, WTF??? I'm not sure what the law is on pulling over for emergency vehicles, but this guy wants me to pull over. Like I said, if it had blue and red lights, siren, anything, ok fine, get over. But nothing. So I figure I'll pull over and see what this guy wants. (I am armed, so I wasn't too worried about getting robbed. This is also 1pm on a major highway, so I'm also not too worried about someone robbing me) So I pull off to the side. This guy pulls right up on my bumper. Most cops I see pulled people over put there car at kind of an angle, with the nose a little further out, so its sticking out father then how close they will be to the car walking up to it. Maybe that is just me, but just what I've seen.

Anyway, he gets out of his car, and is in a black suit. Head to toe. Black pants, black long sleeve shirt. He has some patches on the arms, they looked to be PA trooper patches, or at least are shaped in the same way, and have Pa on them. He has one on each arm, as well as a single strip below that, not sure what that meant. But the things he is missing is what bugged me. He didn't have a name plate, or any badge on the front of his shirt. Nothing on either pocket. He also didn't have a radio. Every Pa state trooper I've ever seen has a pretty normal uniform. Well, this would do better with pictures.

This is what Pa state troopers look like:

This guy was not in that. At all. And now that I see the uniform, shit, I know he didn't have that badge on. He had a red and white badge. Not gold. Hmmm. Ok. Well, on with the story.

Anyway, guy comes up to my window. Goes something like this. (and I never called him officer, because, well, I didn't think he was one)

Me:uh, what can I, uh, do for you?(while giving him the stink eye)
FC:yeah, I clocked you going 87 in a 55, I was behind you when you merged over, and then you failed to stop for a police officer
Me:uh, yeah, I thought maybe you were EMS and needed to get by.....
FC:Don't worry about the black uniform, I'm a state trooper, I need your lic and reg.

I gave him my ID and reg, one of my friends said I should have called 911 at this point, but the thought really hadn't crossed my mind. Of course hind site being 20/20, and now taking another look at the state trooper badge, maybe I should have. Oh well. Anyway, he walks back to his car, gets in. I'm watching him in my review mirror. He looks like he was doing something on his dash, or center console. He is in his car for maybe 45 seconds. Gets out, walks back up to me, says

"I ran your information, you haven't been pulled over in quite a while, so I'm going to go ahead and just give you a verbal warning"
Me:ok, I'd like your name and badge number for my records
FC:that's not needed for a verbal warning, have a good day

And hightails it back to his car. At this point I'm going to be late, so figure fuck it, and take off. But really. If he had clocked me going any where near 32 miles over the posted limit, I would have gotten a ticket. I wasn't any where near that speed, and not sure he even had anything to have clocked me with to start with.

So how bad am I fucked? Think this guy was taking down my info to rob me? This is what one of my friends suggested, but mind you, I was 60 miles from home at this point, and it wasn't like I had NRA or any other gun related bumper stickers, so there is no way he cased me from that respect. And I didn't give him my carry permit, so he has no idea I own guns. I'm not too worried about it, unless someone has the newest scam that people are running pretending to be police. I'd have to take it takes some balls to pretend to be a cop and pull people over, but I guess I've heard of weirder things. Or do you think this guy was a cop, and I'm just wearing my tinfoil too tight?

Short version: Pulled over by guy claiming to be cop, wasn't in any sort of normal uniform for what he claimed, wouldn't give name or badge, let off with a "warning". Wondering if getting cased, should I worry about mittens being shot?
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#1]
wasted a blowjob for nothing eh?
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to need your list of cop's names and badge numbers for my records
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Why didn't you call 911?
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
did you at least call someone and let them know what happen?

If you where a woman could of been a different story.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

wasted a blowjob for nothing eh?

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be worried that someone was trying to steal my identity doing that. You should still call the non-emergency number and report it.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#7]
That's pretty fucked up, but I don't know how it works over in PA.  I'm also not LE, so there's a lot I don't know.

I've worked in Corrections for a few years, so the no radio thing sticks out like a sore thumb.  I've NEVER seen a cop that I can recall, in any type of uniform that didn't have a radio.  I can't imagine one making contact without one handy, either.

It definitely doesn't sound right.

But again, what do I know.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting experience.  The guy was probably looking to rob or rape you, but you didn't fulfill his criteria for either.  
Next time, maybe you should dial 911 and keep driving to the police station.  

Having a gun doesn't make you invincible.

I'm the last one to go running to the cops, but maybe you should notify the local PD about your experience.  You might just be able to save someone from the old BTK routine.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]
We in GD  

It was probably just LB and he just likes running his dick licker.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]
"Make the bastard chase you. He will follow."
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
CSB
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]
New member? Check

Low post count? Check

No team membership? Check

. . . wait . .  . that's not right
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are really curious, I'm sure they could look at the dispatch logs and see if it was legit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Going that much over would have resulted in a nice ticket, they need as much revenue as they can get.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#15]
They have PA state troopers in Tunisia?
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Meh ...Looks like a good read for tomorrow.

TAG
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#17]
When he refused to give badge # and name...  Call 911 and report it.  Take a good mental picture of the dude as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Going that much over would have resulted in a nice ticket, they need as much revenue as they can get.

This^^^
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#19]
So no uniform, badge, radio, or gun.

Hmm...
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm going to need your list of cop's names and badge numbers for my records

If I get a ticket, its on there. Usually when I get a speeding ticket, I know I was doing something wrong, so I just pay my dues and go on with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why didn't you call 911?

Hind site? No idea. While I was in the car, I can tell you I wanted to see what he wanted.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

When he refused to give badge # and name...  Call 911 and report it.  Take a good mental picture of the dude as well.

Exactly.

Damn Trey, that's some crazy shit man.  Stay safe out there dude.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#23]
In AZ you don't have to stop for an unmarked police car you can wait until a marked police car comes to stop you. If an unmarked police car tried to pull me over I would call 911 and continue at a regular pace and only pull over once the emergency line told me it was ok to or a marked police car came along.

I had something similar happen to me lately and I have been on high alert since then but nothing has happened yet.

Here is what happened to me, I almost shot the weird messing with me.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=1157252
People are fucking weird man, I'm glad you are ok. You live and you learn.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

New member? Check

Low post count? Check

it is for the 1st reply

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I can call the state police. And tell them I was pulled over by a guy in a tan car with a cherry light. Sure, if something that would be useful, then ok. But what am I going to tell them? Other then I didn't get a good feeling about some guy who may, or may not, have been a fake cop?
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can call the state police. And tell them I was pulled over by a guy in a tan car with a cherry light. Sure, if something that would be useful, then ok. But what am I going to tell them? Other then I didn't get a good feeling about some guy who may, or may not, have been a fake cop?

Ask if they have a tan unmarked cruiser out there. That should let you know if it was fake or not.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

PA State Police has international jurisdiction.

ETA: I'd definitely call someone and ask some questions over that. The guy, if legit, should work out of whatever the local barracks is for them...right?

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#28]
So, call the PA state patrol in the morning and ask.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#29]
At the first sign of anything "odd" about being stopped, I would have driven away at a normal rate, while calling 911 and explaining the situation.

I would have driven away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell them where it happened, he probably targets the same few intersections or areas.  It sounds shady as hell, and I think he was probably writing down your address when he was pretending to look up your records.

He mentioned you not getting any tickets recently and gave you a warning.  Have you had any recent tickets?  I'd find it strange you did.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I would have sat and called 911.

If he tried to leave, write down the plate # of his car.

If this guy was a fake cop his bust would have been all over the news. I think the boos would forgive you for being late when you are giving TV interviews to the local stations.

Av.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Was it Ben Cannon?
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#33]
So much fail. Where's the blading? Where's the drawdown on a fake cop? He's going to keep up his shenanigans, and I see a handcuffed raping in someone's future. Not to make you feel guilty or anything...
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Did he look like this?

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#35]
87 MPH??? Ok what Arfcom member was it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd be surprised.  They might be working a fake cop case or other people have called.  I'd call and check it out just to see if they have a record of you being stopped.  If he ran your info, the IT guy can find it in the system.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Interesting experience.  The guy was probably looking to rob or rape you, but you didn't fulfill his criteria for either.  

I'm the last one to go running to the cops, but maybe you should notify the local PD about your experience.  You might just be able to save someone from the old BTK routine.

Next time? Damn. I sure as hell hope I don't have another next time. Now, mind you, I know that just because I have a gun on me, I'm not invincible. But if this guy is going to rob me, on the side of a high way, in view of 75 cars driving by every 30 seconds or so, then he has more balls then I do. If this was 10pm at night in the back woods? Ok. Fine. But broad day light?

And I don't mind calling the state troopers to give them a report, but I have just about zero info to give them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Was it Ben Cannon?

Now that's funny...

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Around here, if an unmarked unit pulls you over, you can request that they call for a marked unit to come out.  
You can also keep driving until you feel comfortable pulling over (i.e. populated area)...I would have used that time to call 911 and explained what was going on.  Either way, I wouldn't have handed over my information until I saw proof and would have defended myself if needed (while staying on line with 911).
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'd be worried that someone was trying to steal my identity doing that. You should still call the non-emergency number and report it.  

Which is what my friend said. But what can you do with a name and address? Maybe more then I know. Its not like he asked for my ssn.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#41]
You need to call and let the locals office of the state police know about this guy. These are they types that end up sexually assaulting women.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
And I don't mind calling the state troopers to give them a report, but I have just about zero info to give them.

Sounds like you had quite a bit based on the descriptions in the post.     Give the best location you can and what was in the OP.    I would definitely think that if this guy was out there doing it, they likely already have an idea.    You might be able to give info that somebody else wasn't able to recall.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"Make the bastard chase you. He will follow."

He did follow.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
New member? Check
Low post count? Check

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Next time? Damn. I sure as hell hope I don't have another next time. Now, mind you, I know that just because I have a gun on me, I'm not invincible. But if this guy is going to rob me, on the side of a high way, in view of 75 cars driving by every 30 seconds or so, then he has more balls then I do. If this was 10pm at night in the back woods? Ok. Fine. But broad day light?

I'm just sayin, they might have already had other reports from other near-victims.   90% chance this guy was just an off duty JBT on a power trip, but you never know.    Too bad you didn't get the plate number.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you are really curious, I'm sure they could look at the dispatch logs and see if it was legit.

Would you make that call? I'm not that worried about it, but figure maybe I'm missing something. Like the newest nigerian scam.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

As well as 4 or 5 points on your lic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Report it. Others may have called and reported it too, which will help build a case against him if he is caught. Or if he is legit, at least you will know that for next time you go through there. I'd give them all the details you gave us in your OP. I'm sure they'll take impersonation seriously.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes. They have Pa state troopers in the USA as well. Which is about as descriptive as Tunisia.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#50]

No, this guy didn't have a radio, remember?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top