Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2002 7:29:27 AM EDT
Check this out: a fairly wealthy (his parents are paying 100K$ for his law school- lucky bastard!) classmate of mine has decided to drop ~$3K on a Bosley hair transplant. I think he may be paying even more, and not telling us.

The guy is 25 years old, and looks like he is about 40 because of his receding hairline.  I told him that was a good thing, because his future clients would take him more seriously if he looked older.

Anyhow, he has decided to go through with this procedure, but me and the rest of his buddies don't want to see him get screwed over.  I have seen pictures of people that look absolutely ridiculous (corn-rows) after having these procedures, and don't want to see my buddy waste so much time and money to make himself look silly.

Anyone know anything about "Bosley medical?"  I did an internet search, and found mostly good stuff, but I wanted the "AR15 straight shooters" to tell me the real story.  

What's the deal with these people/procedure- are they legit?

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT- this isn't a joke
[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#4]
here is what I just found out about it:

...hair follicles are taken from the "donor" section of the scalp, at the bottom of the back of the head.  The follicles are then grafted onto the thinning sections of the scalp, and grow hair there...  

I think the idea is that the patient's own hair is used, and it grows like your own normal hair after the 'crops' have been 'reseeded.'  

I worry about anyone trying to reseed a receding hairline (pun intended).
[rolleyes]

Perhaps I can convince this guy to just give me the $3K so I can buy a Barrett .50 cal for him.  Of course, the gun would have to be kept at my house, for safe keeping. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#5]
What is he going to do in a few years when he gets older?  All those transplants will scar and his head will look like Yodas.  I would advise him he should cut his remaining hair tight and go with the Captain Picard look.  Some women like bald heads.  Not to mention the transplants hurt like hell, didnt he see Deuce Bigalo?

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#6]
ARDoc- LMAO!

His appointment is going to be some time this summer- some people need to make a mistake before they will believe, I guess.  

I need to find some good pictures of such scarring and botched surgeries to scare him off of this idea.  

BTW, this is the same fellow who nearly shot himself after holstering a loaded Glock into an IDPA-style holster.  A real winner, but a friend nonetheless.  I just don't shoot with him anymore!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell him to forget it.  Frankly, I'd love to have hair back on my head also.  I'm not completely bald, but pretty darn thin on top.  I try to keep it between a #2 and #4 at all times.  I can't do a transplant because my donor hair is too sparse (I've always had fine AND thin hair--double suck).

FWIW, I ended up marrying a wonderful woman and I'm pretty happy in general, in spite of self-image trouble years ago over my hair.  And no, I didn't have a ton of $$$$$$ in order to attract my wife.

My advise to him is it's mostly attitude and the way you carry yourself. While maybe not the best thing for you health-wise, keeping somewhat of a tan helps you look good, too (at least for me; I put less emphasis on my hair that way).
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Just say no.

[img]http://www.4hair.com.au/geo2-hair-transplant.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I bet within a generation they'll be able to figure out the baldness gene and disable it.  People will look at photos from the past and think it's really weird men used to go bald.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, I'm one of the one in this generation that has a full head of hair, but shaves.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just say no.

[img]http://www.4hair.com.au/geo2-hair-transplant.gif[/img]
View Quote

So whats wrong with that? [:)]  Looks like a practice run to me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
BTT- this isn't a joke
[smoke]
View Quote

Oh yes it is.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Just tell him that baldness is correlated with high levels of testosterone.  It's true.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#14]
My next door neighbor had a hair transplant and it was really quite comical. I never asked him about it but it appears he had hair transplanted to the front of his head when he was younger. Problem is/was that he began to lose the rest of his hair on top of his head. The transplanted hair is different in that it comes from the back of your head and will fall out last. So anyway, this joker literally has a mane of hair in front of his head. Looks like a horse tail. Try and picture that.
Never liked they guy much, in fact he sued us for adverse possession, lost the fight and then moved out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Sometimes they take donor hair from other parts of the body too. A guy I used to work for got some taken off his ass and put it on his forehead. There are some things that you shouldn't tell people about yourself!

In the case of Dis556... nah! I'm beating a dead Assclown!
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Just say no.

Tell him to just shave it bald, grow the goatee, get into the gym, and go for the "bald badass" look rather than grafting asshair on his head and trying for the "I'm-going-bald-but-I'm-too-vain-and-insecure-to-just-deal-with-it" look.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I hear hair transplants have come a long way since the "corn-row" look, with micro-grafting techniques.  Most transplant clinics will recommend young guys don't go for it, since they will end up losing more hair anyway.  On the other hand, its the young guys who feel the worst about losing their hair.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#19]
OK  I know what's going on here. Anyone who would have anything to do with this thread is losing their hair and is self-conscious about it. For those of you that replied kudos for admitting your shamefulness. For those of you who just read this beware, the bald members will find you and nair your head !

By the way, I chose the shaved head badass look which I mostly cover with a hat.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#20]
[img]http://www.users.bigpond.com/dadarama/fb_comb-over.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#21]
LMAO NoName!
 The latest from my buddy John-Lee- he is waiting until mid-July, so he can have DR. Bosley himself work on his hair.  

This guy is flying out to LA, plus paying almost double (~6K) the regular price, to have this 'honor.'  This crap is really getting ridiculous...I choose some very oddball friends.  

BTW, this same unsafe azzclown (see above post) actually won an IDPA match last week- I had to see it to believe it!

I still won't shoot with this guy though, he's way too dangerous.
 [flag]

[edited to say that "John-Lee" is his first name, and NO, I would never compromise my friend's privacy to the hungry wolves at AR15.COM.  You guys would probably track him down, call him, convince him to mail his photo to you, and photoshop him mercilessly.
 Perhaps I just have a sick imagination...it would be funny as hell though.]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top