Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2011 8:34:20 AM EDT
Getting ready to ship a rifle I just sold to a guy out of state, or more specifically to his FFL, and was wondering which courier folks here use (USPS/UPS)?

I've never shipped a rifle before so any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I use FedEx when I have to ship guns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I use FedEx when I have to ship guns.

same here  UPS fucked up 3 rifles that were shipped to me from the distributor.  FEDEX hasnt beaten up any of my boxes leaving my house or being returned.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#3]
FEDEX

FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

You need to take it to one of thier Hubs though......
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, when I use FedEx, I take it directly to their corporate shipping hub and not a kinko's type franchisee shipping place.

You eliminate the middle man and it's cheaper too.

I have never had a problem shipping firearms via FedEx.

However, I have had a myriad of shipping problems with UPS and will not use them.

For standard shipping of other goods, I have had very good luck with US Postal.  Never had a lost or damaged incident with them as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I ended up shipping the rifle via UPS. Went to FedEx first but it was going to cost me $97 for shipping It states in their terms on shipping firearms that they have to be shipped Priority Overnight, so I suppose that's why it would be so expensive.

Went to UPS just across the street & got it done for $24 for ground service. Are you guys using FedEx paying that much?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Should have gone to FedEx Ground
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Selling a match rifle right now. Large and heavy.

Would cost $200 thru Fed-Ex Priority.

Can ship USPS Priority for $65.

Edit: Thru ground they come out about the same.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#8]
We ship everything USPS since the FedEx and UPS hubs are each 30 miles away, in opposite directions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#9]

1. FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding
    handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968,
    between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers;
      licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any
      department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state
      or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from
      individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed
      dealers (and return of same).

2. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature
    Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option,
    depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery
    Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not
    eligible for signature release, driver release or indirect delivery.

3. FedEx Ground cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.

4. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the
    shipment to FedEx Ground is required to notify FedEx Ground that the
    package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be
    marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a
    firearm.

5. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.

6. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable
    government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to
    labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can
    provide assistance.

7. FedEx Ground will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and
    labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the
    Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an
    explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You
    agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the
    same package.

8. FedEx Ground will not accept for transport handguns, assembled or disassembled.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#10]
FedEx.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#11]
USPS. It will be cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#12]
USPS worked for me
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
USPS. It will be cheaper.

In my experience, USPS has always been far more expensive when shipping rifles than UPS.

My rule of thumb is that for small stuff, I use USPS flat rate boxes, and for big stuff I use UPS.

Don't know, it's been a couple years now since I've shipped a rifle. But I can say for sure I used to check all avenues before shipping anything, and I was typically using USPS to ship rifles, Fedex to ship handguns (unless I was living somewhere where I knew an FFL who would ship it for me at a decent rate), and UPS Ground for ammo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#15]
USPS send it signature confirmation. You should go to a dealer to ship just to cover your ass. The shop on my route said the ATF wants all shippments logged in. Whateve that means.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top