Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2011 11:45:36 PM EDT
Looking to pick up a few pairs of high quality socks for combat boots for a SHTF scenario.

I've been suggested Wigwam INgenious, Thorlos & Covert Threads

Has anyone had at least 2 out of these 3 to day which one is a better choice & why?

Thorlos sells a "Combat Boot Sock" that is Thick cushion, which I think is preferred, but this particular sock doesnt come with their X-Static Anti-Microbial & anti odor benefits - which I think is a big plus for socks that will be used & worn a lot.

They do sell an Anti-fatigue sock that has the anti-smell stuff in it, but it's only "moderate" cushion.

Wigwams seem like a good choice too, but not sure how they compare to the Thorlos.

Covert Threads are high quality socks too, but they dont offer socks in black.  I would probably pick the "Rock" sock they offer & compare it to the Wigwam & Thorlos.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Smartwool...
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I wear boots at work every day (not humping a ruck somewhere nasty though).  I'm a big fan of Covert Threads' socks.  I have probably 10 pair or so (both the "Sand" and "Ice" version) and love them.  I'll probably be ordering more here soon.

ETA:  I thought CT offered their socks in black

ETA2:  They show them in black on the website?

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 12:38:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Smartwool...

First post win!

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Smartwool...

First post win!

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Fox River Boot Sox.  Only sox i will wear.  $8.95 a pair and worth every penny.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 1:05:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Smartwool...

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 1:49:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 1:49:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Thorlo

Last a long time, have good padding and the new anti microbial stuff is nice

Ive worn them nearly everyday for 15 years
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 1:58:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I asked this same question a couple weeks ago. Smartwool, Thorlo and Darn Tough Vermont where the answers I got. I decided to buy a couple pair of Darn Tough Vermont. Love them. Best sock I have ever owned. I purchased the Hunt/Fish series Over-the-Calf Full Cushion • 1461.

Expensive at $45 for 2 pair but has a lifetime unconditional guarantee.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 2:06:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Smartwool...

Yes,

I wear both smartwool and the Columbia version that does not say smarwool, but the weave, dye matching and everything tells me they are made by Smartwool for Columbia.  I pick them up at a Columbia outlet for much less than retail.......

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Smartwool...

First post nails it. I received a bunch of free smartwool socks while I was in Afghanistan and they are absolutely amazing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Thorlo combat are the best for me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:36:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Darn Tough
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I like both thorlos and smartwool.   I switch between thorlo light hiker coolmax and the combat boot sock.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I can vouch for the Thorlos. Good socks for warm and cold conditions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Love the Covert Threads.

FTW.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Plain old 100% cotton athletic socks.
Worked the best for me during 8 years of wearing combat boots. Tho they're not authorized, I was able to get away with it because the doc said it was better for my eczema
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:57:40 AM EDT
[#19]
smartwool is good

i also happen to like the underarmor ones. When we are out on mission for a ridicolous amount of days, and can't do laundry, you can just rinse the damn thing out and they are clean.

I took 4 pairs for what was supposed to be a 72 hour mission, 15 days later i was glad as hell about the rinse dry wear factor. And they dry hella quick.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I ended up ordering 3 different pairs.

I ordered 2 pairs of the Darn Tough Merino Wool boot sock with full cushion Here

I ordered a pair of the Thorlos Level 3 Military Over the calf anti-fatigue socks Here

And finally a pair of the Covert Threads Black Rock Socks here

I do like them all & feel they are all high quality, but the Darn Toughs dont offer the Antimicrobial aspect to the sock like the Thorlos & Covert threads do.

I wish the Darn Tough's did offer Anti Microbial in their full cushion boot sock as they are a really quality sock.

The Covert Threads in a Large ran all the way up to my knee (I'm 5'5") and spoke with Pete from there & he said send them back for Mediums which are a few inches shorter.  I think this will help keep things a bit cooler year around.  To the knee was just a bit much.  I'm waiting for the mediums to be shipped back to me but still feel the quality of these socks is very high & they offer the Antimicrobial which was a big "must" in a sock I'm looking for.

The Thorlos' seem a bit thinner on the top part of the foot compared to the Cover Threads, but still really high quality & also have the Antimicrobial aspect to them & they seem to fit pretty well.  The top part of the foot might be left thinner to help with ventilation.

I'll be ordering 4 more pairs of each the Thorlos & Covert Threads.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fox River Boot Sox.  Only sox i will wear.  $8.95 a pair and worth every penny.

Same here.

I have about a dozen pairs I've been wearing for the last 4 or 5 years.  Awesome socks––they do not wear out.

Nice 777 pic in the avatar.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I always liked the old olive drab ones we had before we
got issued the black ones.

No boot sock has ever worked better for me than those green
wool ones.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I always liked the old olive drab ones we had before we

got issued the black ones.

No boot sock has ever worked better for me than those green

wool ones.

Tell me about it...once we lost the old green wool ones life for my feet went downhill from there.  Luckily about 5 years ago I discovered the Fox River boots socks––-available in OD green––-that's all I wear in uniform unless I am going to the field in an Alaskan winter(I'm stationed at Ft Rich).

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#24]
White Socks.

You can spend all the money in the world, on your 14.99 operator high speed socks..but in the end white socks will be the best.

Dont let 1ST SGT see you though.

(Fox River Socks arn't too bad either. )
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

White Socks.

You can spend all the money in the world, on your 14.99 operator high speed socks..but in the end white socks will be the best.

White socks barely last me a single long run, let alone wearing them in boots.  The heck with that......of course I grew up scared of what my NCOs would do to me if they found me with white socks on.

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
White Socks.

White socks never cut it for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top