Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2002 12:28:10 PM EDT
I was searching around for a 6" SS 7-shot S&W 686 for a wedding gift. After a few days of searching I found one at Bachman Pawn & Gun in Dullas for $469. I thought that was a good price, certainly cheaper than everywhere else I called or looked. I headed over there over my lunch break to pick one up.

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=116484[/url]

While Im there, I eyed a Walther P99 in .40S&W that I have wanted for quite awhile. I had plans to pick one up months ago for $549 from Irving Firearms and I [b]backed out[/b] of the purchase at the last minute because of the mag cap issue. If I only could get 10rnders for it, I was'nt sure that I would want a P99 over say, a Glock.
Back to the gun shop.........There was a the P99 for $499. The cheapest I have seen them. They also had a hi-cap for way much more than what it was worth.
I now have a P99 and a 12rnd Mag.
I can't go into gun shows or stores.......I am a impulse shopper.
To make matters worse, I stopped into CTD and picked up 500rnds of .45acp, 40rnds of 40S&W, and the requisite 30rnd USGI AR mag (I get one every time I go).
Luckily I do not have a wife. She would kick my ass.

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was searching around for a 6" SS 7-shot S&W 686
View Quote

Shame shame shame[:(]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was searching around for a 6" SS 7-shot S&W 686
View Quote

Shame shame shame[:(]
View Quote

Are you referring to the S&W ban/boycott? After S&W was bought out, and the deal with the Kliton Admin nulled, I consider the boycott no longer applicable.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I hear ya...  Every spare dime I get goes into firearms and accessories.

Well, OK, sometimes the bills have to wait because it wasn't a spare dime after all.
View Quote

I sold my Monte SS not to long ago. The $$ is SUPPOSED to be going into another vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#5]
yep. S$W has not recanted their sellout. I will not buy a new S$W.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I hear ya.  Just last month my impulses bought me:

1. a new Colt 16" LTWT
2. 10 more USGI mags
3. 1 can of permaslik G
4. 2000 rounds of Santa Barbara ss109
5. Plane tickets, registration, room and rental car to the BRC!
6. a bitter girlfriend who thinks I won't have anything left over to buy her a birthday present (her schwag is already bought and paid for!)

If I wasn't impulsive I wouldn't own anything at all.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Boomholzer,
I feel your pain brother! I've always had a soft spot for PPK's. Probably owned 6-8 over the years. Being a purist I avoid the PPKS's. Anyway, Wednesday I go into one of my favorite gun stores and they have a S.S. PPK for 325.00. I ask the story. Seems a man bought it for his wife from another store 2 weeks ago and after 6 rounds decided she did'nt like it. He paid 450.00(too high) and got 250.00 in trade. After some discussion I walked out with it for 305.00 out the door.
I needed it like I needed another butthole! I have a Kahr, Centennial, Kel-Tec 32, and a Glock 23 for small to real small carry guns. Oh well, it was good enough for Bond....
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Boomholzer,
I feel your pain brother! I've always had a soft spot for PPK's. Probably owned 6-8 over the years. Being a purist I avoid the PPKS's. Anyway, Wednesday I go into one of my favorite gun stores and they have a S.S. PPK for 325.00. I ask the story. Seems a man bought it for his wife from another store 2 weeks ago and after 6 rounds decided she did'nt like it. He paid 450.00(too high) and got 250.00 in trade. After some discussion I walked out with it for 305.00 out the door.
I needed it like I needed another butthole! I have a Kahr, Centennial, Kel-Tec 32, and a Glock 23 for small to real small carry guns. Oh well, it was good enough for Bond....
View Quote

I had a new SS SIG P232 in .380 and I did'nt like it. Most comfortable & compact to carry but, I found it terrible to shoot. A Ft Worth LEO bought it from me after they were allowed to carry other weapons outside of their qualifing weapon.
I would like to shoot a Walther PPK sometime.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You spineless wimp!!!!!

[:D]

you feel like giving up this addiction yet?
View Quote

Nope, not it all. I'm just alittle conscience (feeling guilty) of all the cash I dropped today.
I'll keep it up as long as the cash is available.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Ya, I know what you mean. Anytime I have extra cash, it generaly goes to something gun related.

So generaly I don't go on vacations, I don't drive a new truck, I don't have a bass boat, etc., etc,...

But I'm not complaining.

Lucky for me, my wife isn't either. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I can empathize. When I moved from Ca to AZ, I owned 3 guns- a 12ga, 20ga and a .270. What helps me is that the girlfriend likes to shoot also. When I started talking about getting an AR-15, she buys me one for Father's Day last year. Two years ago she bought me a .357 for my birthday. For Christmas '01 she gave me a Browning Buckmark. For Christmas '00 it was a .50 frontstuffer. I've on my own aquired a Sig P239, Colt 1991 .45, Beretta 92FS, another 20ga, a Browning lever action .22 and a Winchester 94. I bought her a Colt .380 for Mothers Day '99. We're pretty predictable-she likes jewelry, I like guns. We ALWAYS know SOMETHING we can get the other for a special occasion. [pistol] [sniper] [shotgun]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#15]
All it takes is green.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#16]
i love going into bachman myself, i work pretty close to it so i have to go in there about once a month. they have the best prices in dallas, my opinion. i bought my 686 there myself,6 inch barrel,its beautiful.
i have spent a lot of money in there.
walter
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Alright stop it! You guy are giving me purchase ideas again.....
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#18]
S&W is no longer owned by any of the old family,As I read it they were bought out by a small five person group.   Thus no longer held by any GOV sell out.   So S&W went the way of thompson,auto-ordinance,Khar.

Bob
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
(feeling guilty) of all the cash I dropped today.
View Quote

Next time there's an unsolicited knock on the door at a weird hour, take $500 cash with you when you open the door and point it at them...
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am a hopeless gun fanatic, no self control.
View Quote

We need a "support group"... but I think we would all just end up talking about the guns we want, and organize a "group purchase".

Eric/Tyler
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

We need a "support group"... but I think we would all just end up talking about the guns we want, and organize a "group purchase".

Eric/Tyler
View Quote

I'm game!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Next time there's an unsolicited knock on the door at a weird hour, take $500 cash with you when you open the door and point it at them...
View Quote

Ohhh, Gawd. Dats Funny!  [:D]

So I shot the P99 last night (Fri)i. I put 5 boxes through it.
During the first box, I was skeptical and a little doubtful. The trigger weight in "SA" mode is light enough but, the trigger travel is enormous. I had to move the contact point of my trigger finger father out to the end to accommodate the long throw.

It is not a naturally comfortable pistol. Although your talking to someone who shoots 1911s almost exclusively.
I put the biggest backstrap on the back and that seemed to closer imitate the feel of a .45. I don’t have large hands but I have long fingers.

By the third box I was printing 3-4” groups at 50ft and really started to take a liking to the pistol.

There were quite a few instances where the slide stayed locked back, resulting in a FTF. I’m not sure if it was due to the cartridge not feeding or if the slide-catch was inadvertently locking the slide. I would press the slide release and the next round would chamber no problem.

In closing, I am more than happy with my purchase. I hope it proves to be a reliable piece. Anyone who has ever stripped one knows that the P99’s innards look busy and complicated with little exposed springs and other nonsense.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
  Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a problem here.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Ohhh, Gawd. Dats Funny!  [:D]

There were quite a few instances where the slide stayed locked back, resulting in a FTF. I’m not sure if it was due to the cartridge not feeding or if the slide-catch was inadvertently locking the slide. I would press the slide release and the next round would chamber no problem.

View Quote

Some shooters inadvertantly push up on the slide release when shooting certain guns.  Pay close attention to the placement of the gun in your hands next time you are out shooting.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
  Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a problem here.[:D]
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. Being a hopeless gun fanatic is not a vice, it is a virtue.[:)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
yep. S$W has not recanted their sellout. I will not buy a new S$W.
View Quote

I believe I read your S & W representative is scheduled to come and personally kiss your ass sometime in August.  Please stay by the phone to arrange an appointment.  
View Quote

Well damn, beekeep, don't quit your day job to join S$W on my account.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top