Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/16/2002 9:47:11 PM EDT
This is not a joke!!!!

OK, I was heading to bed, and my orange and white 11 + year old 25 pound cat was laying on it sleeping, as he usally does. I picked him up to go put him outside, and he started meowing as he does when I'm about to stick him in the garage.

I take him out there, and notice something drop from under his tail. I see a big mucussie (sp???)read spot hit the garage floor, followed by several others. I look down at my shirt, and I'm covered with it. I further looked at his rear end, and he is soaked in it.

I know it just now started, as there is no blood (that I see) on my bed.

There are no vets that I'm know of that are open right now, so looks like he'll have to wait until moring. He's laid down on a big fluffy pillow in the garage licking his "spot".

Could it be some kind of kidney stone? From lack of water maybe? Wouldn't not see why he wouldn't be drinking... He's got a big bowl of good water right by his food that he eats up. He's fixed, so does that make a difference?

My poor kitty!

At least I'll be getting the day (at least partial) off of work tomorrow... but POOR KITTY!! :-(
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
CG, you have been acquiring lots of guns lately.  Did you accidentally shoot your cat in the ass?
View Quote

Never shot at this place of residence!! (just moved)
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Did SteyrAUG visit you today ?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Hope he gets better.  Take to VET ASAP...

When he is back to normal, put him in the attic to take care of that bird problem.

[:D]

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If nobody else cares, at least let me know how this turns out.  I have two little ones of my own, and I would hate for anything to happen to them.
View Quote

I will post an update when he gets back from the vet tomorrow. He's been with me for 11 years. The coolest cat in the world. Loves to be scatched and demands it. Other than that, he just lays there and sleeps. Does not scratch the furniture, claw anyone, or anything. Not hyper in the least. On a good day, he'll walk around outside for 40 minutes to an hour.

We have two small birds in a cage in our home. The most he has ever done was put his front paws on the cage once.

He used to be a real hunter. I used to live in 40 acres, and he would go out and kill mice, BIG ones too and bring them back to our door step for us to admire! lol...

I love Cowboy!
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Some vets do stay on call 24hrs, especially the places that call themselves hospitals. I can't even guess what's wrong with your cat, but personally I'd be thumbing through the yellow pages by now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Look in your phone book under vets. Look for an emergency 24 hour clinic. If you can't find one, call a few. Most will have instructions in case of an emergency.

Do it NOW.

Good luck and let us know what happened.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Although I absolutely ABHOR cats in the worst known way.....

I have had pets I was attached to & do empathize.....

Most Vets are on call, and it costs little more than any regular office visit(read costs out the @$$)...BLOOD, life juice is a bad sign.....CALL THEM.....

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

See now that is just wrong.

That is wrong in so many ways I can't even begin.

But seriously if you don't keep an eye on your cat all night, and be prepared to do the emergency vet thing, it may not be an issue in the morning.

I don't have much experience with cats, but I've never heard of anything like this being normal.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]
This is a little different but I had a ferret that started doin sort of the same thing and it turned out he had cysts in his intestinal tract. I hope this isn't your cats problem cause it was the death of my ferret. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Although I absolutely ABHOR cats in the worst known way.....

View Quote

Michael and Micheal did NOT do it . . . SGTAR15, I tell ya.  
View Quote

Why do I get blamed for every cat accident???

I love cats!!  They make great stew and dish rags[:D]

Sgtar15

PS Computer guy, I am really sorry about your cat...............really!!..........really!!...............[b]REALLY SORRY!!![/b]
Ah Hell..........Who am I kidding.[;D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Legrue is right.  It's not cheap, but this situation definitly calls for visit your local emergency vet.  If you haven't already called do it NOW!  AND I MEAN RIGHT THE HELL NOW!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:15:23 AM EDT
[#18]
This used to happen with our cat all of the time-she would get a bloody mucus discharge every few months. The vet said that it from was straining while trying to move her bowels. This probably isn't a big deal, but go to the vet tomorow anyway.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:17:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a cat named Diesel once and the same thing happened to him, though not quite as severely.  I noticed one morning he was bleeding out his butt.  I took him to the vet & it turns out he'd eaten some string and it did something inside that, while unattractive, wasn't particularly harmful.

the worst part about the whole ordeal was the "digital exam" the vet performed.  It didn't take long, but old Diesel's rumbley purr ran a little rough for the day.

Hope it all turns out okay.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:07:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Have you had any visiting Bostonian Priests drop by of late??

Anyway isnt 11 about the Max lifespan of a cat?

I mean there maybe some that make it to 18 and such but those are rare..

Sounds like its time is about up.

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#21]
CG, given the age of your cat, this is not good news. Could be cysts, bowel obstruction, or something he ate.......
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Boots and I will say a prayer for Cowboy.  I certainly hope he'll be OK.  Let us know the outcome.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is not a joke!!!!

... and [red]he started meowing as he does when I'm about to stick him in the garage.[/red]
View Quote

The first time I read it, I thought that this is what might have caused it. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

But seriously if you don't keep an eye on your cat all night, and be prepared to do the emergency vet thing, it may not be an issue in the morning.

I don't have much experience with cats, but I've never heard of anything like this being normal.
View Quote

Whoops I apologize got you confused with SGTAR15 ![>:/]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:50:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

P.S. My daughter has 9 cats out here , and I would be literally lynched if any harm came to any of them .
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#27]
And, thus, is born another legend. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I will post an update when he gets back from the vet tomorrow. He's been with me for 11 years. The coolest cat in the world. Loves to be scatched and demands it. Other than that, he just lays there and sleeps. Does not scratch the furniture, claw anyone, or anything. Not hyper in the least. On a good day, he'll walk around outside for 40 minutes to an hour.

I love Cowboy!
View Quote

Sounds like you have my cats brother. mine as well lives to be scratched and like yours more or less demands it. she loves people, walks up to complete strangers in the house and tries to make friends. 12 year old kitty to. Orange/white tabby. she wanders around "Her" 5 acer(SP) lot. if i am upstairs in my rooms she will come up and join me. if downstairs watching TV she will come down and get on "Her"
blanket. she has a favorite blanket, nice and soft.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now how is that even possible...[;)]

Is this critter still alive?
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I vote this thread be locked [:D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#31]
cats name is molly, sister got her when she was a kitten, she now has a new one and the two just didnt get along, she she brought molly back.

the new one is a white persian. lazy sucker.

she had one before that, and he was not a very bright cat. dumber than most democrats. Sister called this one "Toby" father and i called him  "Clumsy" heres why..

his first night in the house (before sis moved out) he climbed up the stairs to the upper floor. put his head through the railing and looked down. my guess is he then wanted to see more ..(now im not able to see him do any of this, finishing up dinner at the table, wall between us).. and walked forward a bit, he fell a single floor and did a nosedive into hardwood flooring. then skittered into a corner to hide from whatever bit him. so im eating dinner, *WHUMP* *skitter skitter*. i get up and go find him. hes bleeding a bit through his nose but only when he sneezed, in about 5 mins he was playing and hitting my finger quite accuratly with his paw. he survived the first night with not much else. also he would try to jump up on the couch and miss or grab the blanket and fall off. he would get up eventully and climb up the the back of the couch and walk on it, he would fall of that! when he got big enough to traverse the steps on his own he started going down them, got faster and faster. never did slow down, so he hits the bottom of the steps and tries to turn and ends up tumbling.

this was one of the most ungracefull, unbalananced cats i have ever seen. he never did learn to slow down on steps.

sister eventully moved out and took Clumsy and Molly with her. they didnt get along. clumsy got lost a few times when she let him out. he eventully got run down by are car, poor fella. but i figure he tried to wave at it. she then got the white persian "Jinx" molly didnt like that one either so she brought molly home. Jinx is a little brighter and more agile than clumsy could ever dream to have been.

Darwin, it doesnt just work for humans but animals to!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Every cat owner should have a copy of:

"First Aid for Cats"
by Bruce Fogle, D.V.M.
ISBN 0-14-025542-7

I just went through my copy, unfortunately, there is nothing on rectal bleeding. But bleeding is a trip to to the vet, depending on type of bleeding, determines emergency or next day trip.

The only other possiblity, is you cat had an "encounter" with another frisky kitty that is dumb and doesn't know the difference of a girl kitty or boy kitty.

I to am a cat person. Currently without one (no pets allowed at current residence).  But as soon as I find steady work, moving to someplace where it is allowed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#33]
My wife's cat starting bleeding out the ass once and when we looking closely at the mucous-like discharges we discovered they were fetuses.  The cat was doing us a favor by aborting her own litter!  My wife figured a flea spray she used must have done the trick.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"First Aid for Cats"
by Bruce Fogle, D.V.M.
ISBN 0-14-025542-7
View Quote

Chapter 1:  FMJ or Hollow points, pros and cons.

Chapter 2:  What size crockpot to buy.

[;)]

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"First Aid for Cats"
by Bruce Fogle, D.V.M.
ISBN 0-14-025542-7
View Quote

Chapter 1:  FMJ or Hollow points, pros and cons.

Chapter 2:  What size crockpot to buy.

[;)]

SGtar15
View Quote

I know I personally wouldn't appreciate this kind of post if I came here for help.

You got a dog or some other pet you care for, SGtar15? Maybe I should drop him off at the local Korean restaurant. MMMM Good eatins!

I won't even go into some of the other insensitive a-hole posts here.

Tell ya what. If you don't have anything useful for the poor guy, please take a nice big cup of STFU.

-legrue

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I know this maybe a bad question, but computerguy, you have a girlfriend right?
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm telling ya, if this cat turns out to be KIA, some of you guys are gonna look like dicks.

At least get the thumbs up before you you start with the kitty recipes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Legrue,

I actually love cats, I have one named Wyatt Earp, 3 y.o., whom I love very much.  Hell I give him Humbolt grown catnip daily[8P].

[b]BUT[/b] I do know that he is still just a fucking cat!!  When the time comes that he gets sick I will take care of the problem myself.  I sure as hell aint going to pay a couple hundred dollars on a damn cat.  Then I will get another cat.  Remember, cats [i]are[/i] disposable and easily replaced!!

I swear people care more about their damn pets then they do their own kids!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Just drop him off at the nearest Chinese resturant.  LOL.  There is a resturant in town called Kitty's.  Not a good name for a Chinese place! I did notice the lack of strays i nthe area. The food is ok. The other whitemeat!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I am Korean and I think the Dog thing is hilarious.  When we start taking ourselves too seriously its a problem.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Origionally posted by [b]riddler[/b]:
Origionally Posted By ComputerGuy:
This is not a joke!!!!

... and he started meowing as he does when I'm about to stick him in the garage.
View Quote

The first time I read it, I thought that this is what might have caused it.  
View Quote

Dirty mind alert!!! [spank]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, folks, several comments:

1) Cats lick their ass (because they can!) Their tongues are raspy. So if there's itching, etc. the cat is licking it way more than usual, and could just be abrading the tissues there and cause bleeding.

2) Hemhorrhoids?  Possible, and perhaps combined with #1 above.

3) The cat ate something sharp and is cut (at least) in the lower colon.  Have you oberved stool color prior to this? (i.e, internal bleeding in upper bowel?)

4) This is worth a call to an emergency vet for at least a phone consultation.

5) Everybody: get health insurance on your pet! (VPI - Veterinary Pet Insurance - seems pretty good. Girlfriend and I are gonna set it up this wknd after yakking about it for a long time.

6) Where is Fluffy?

Bill
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I know I personally wouldn't appreciate this kind of post if I came here for help.

-legrue

View Quote

What kind of help could he possibly be looking for on this site with that problem?

Q: Cat bleeding profusely out of ass; is that a problem?

A: Generally not that big of a deal.
A: Stuff a sock in it.
A: Do an emergency tracheotomy with a steak knife.

Or my standard answer to any of Imbroglio's many problems - "Use a tampon to stop the bleeding."
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What kind of help could he possibly be looking for on this site with that problem?
View Quote

Oh, I don't really know.  Why does anyone come here with questions about things they don't know enough about?[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/huh.gif[/img]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=117325[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=117087[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=115400[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=116973[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=116167[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=115863[/url]

Hmmm?   [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#50]
OK, took the kitty to the vet this moring... probably should have gone last night, but the only ones open were about an hour away. Cowboy hates car rides, and they usally turn out to be bad (read: puke fest)..

I took him first thing this morning.

Turns out he has some infection in his "poop track" (that is what they doctor called it!!!). He gave me some antibiotics (one liquid, one pill) that I have to give him twice a day, for a couple weeks.

They said he should be fine though!!!

Total cost was $69.00. Well worth it, and may times over.

Yay!!!!!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top