Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2002 9:06:29 PM EDT
Has anyone else read the Fred's column in the May 20 issue of shotguns news?

A few Ar-15.com members got mentioned.  
I laughed my ass off.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What was said about us members?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF is going on here?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just got my May 10th a couple days ago.  How do you guys get them so fast?  [:(]
View Quote

Me too. And WE'RE FFLs.

God first they publish our prices and now where the last to get them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't SGNs allow you to pay a higher subscription price to get the issue sooner than the normal rate paying subscribers? I'm sure I remember something like that.

i'll check out Fred as soon as it arrives.

hg112, please elaborate!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I enjoy Fred's commentary even if I dont always agree with it. Sadly I let my subscription expire early this year.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I get my issues late as well... Waverunner posted about the BRC ad some time ago, and I had to wait another week till I could see it! [>:/]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought you guys already had yours.

I don't pay a higher price. I guess I'm just a VIP [:D]

Here is the original thread.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=70421[/url]

Someone emailed Fred about it and he put a transcript of it in his May 20th column.
I believe he critisized[sp?] john232, B27
, crumabn, VA-gunnut, and Rebuild. Something about Gen-Xers, people bashing everyone but themselves, poor shooting skills and 98lb weaklings, and liberal thinkers.

I have always enjoyed reading Fred's columns, but he came off as A-hole in this one.

Anyway, I thought it was funny that complete text of the thread appeared in SGN.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, hg112! At any rate, this should get a few new folks on the board.

I do enjoy Fred's column, and he makes some good points. Anybody who likes to shoot blue helmets can't be all bad[:D]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I finally got my shotgun news yesterday in the mail.  In reading Fred's columns I become more aware of limitations of the AR- 15.  I think Fred has come to realize that the next war will be here.  Not in some far off place.  To be ready, you must be proficient with your weapons, whenever that weapon might be.  The m-14 is a very formidable rifle.  The fires a bullet that is three times larger than 5.56.  When that bullet meets it's target, the target will suffer substantial damage.

Fred's only point in his columns is to be ready.  To organize your own rifle teams, become proficient as a team.  As team you have more fun shooting and if you are making a small mistake you can get some friendly pointers.   And when the ship it's the fans you'll be ready.  No excuses, no delay, no problem.  More importantly you'll be effective riflemen.

Much is made to about TSHF and what you would do. If you didn't train, if you didn't practice, then you're not ready. Find the shoots, meet people, organize, train, prepare, then you're ready.  That is the point of Fred's columns.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Something about Gen-Xers, people bashing everyone but themselves, poor shooting skills and 98lb weaklings, and liberal thinkers.
View Quote

I could have sworn I've heard a cute little highschool cheerleader muttering something about "Generation ExLax" when I winked at her the other day.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Some bastard must have stolen my 5/10 issue.  Damn them.  I wanted to see the BRC ad.  I usually get them a few days before the issue date.  No 5/20 either. grrrr
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would [i]much[/i] rather take to the field with an M1/M1A/StG58 than [i]any semi-auto AR.
Period.
View Quote

I would rather have an AR.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#15]
My choice of weapon is always determined by terrain and enemy.

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Fred is getting a bit senile--the latest issue I read featured letters from different people.  One of them rocked me back on my heels.

It was the one by a 16 year old "high master" in NRA highpower.  That letter has got to be a troll--it is pretty much impossible for any 16 year old to make high master so quickly in any legitimately sanctioned NRA events.  I know shooters who spend most of their lives working up to master in highpower, let alone high master.   And if he is so damn good at shooting, why is he playing around with a Ruger 10/22 with an MG42 conversion (the wackiest of all 10/22 conversions).  I also don't buy his assertion that he shoots plastic army soldiers at 200 yards.  Even with a scope, you would be unable to see the small, plastic soldiers at 200 yards, let alone hit them with anything but the dirt flying around them.  Hello!  Indiscriminately firing off thousands of rounds of 22LR does not qualify you as anything but a crank.

If the letter writer is not a troll, then he is definitely a lunatic!

If Fred likes people such as this, then he too, is a lunatic.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Fred bashed me for saying that he stocked AR-15 supplies, and I have bought Bandoleers, the USGI M-16 Shooting manual and M-16 cleaning kits.

He has converted me to a M1A as my main battle rifle, but I really doubt we will be shooting blue helmets in the future.

I do think he is fantastid for getting people shooting and I like to keep in practice by shooting the AQT.

BTW, I do better on it with my Enfield .308 than my M1A.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top