Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2011 10:47:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC laminate for one room cost us about $1,300.00 installed.  That was tearing up the existing parquet floor and subflooring. Replacing the subfloor, installing the laminate and new baseboards. We went with italian manufactured baseboards and laminate instead of chinese made out of principle, which increased costs by a couple hunder bucks.  18-months later it still looks brand new.

Not trying to steer you one way or another. Just offering an example of what it might cost.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I like laminate, much each easier to keep looking nice.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not an expert, but I've repaired/refinished hardwood floors...

It's a project that you can easily DIY.

I don't know why you wouldn't, since you already have something perfectly good and worth more than your alternate plan.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Sand / refinish around 3850.

Install new laminate around 1100.

Laminate sucks.

Mostly people that don't have the dough get laminate.  ("oh look at my new hardwood floors"  )  

(if you do get laminate go with dupont or pergo prestige)

It is pretty scratch resistant, but once it is scratched it is always scratched.

Unlike hardwood, a quick oil rub and POW good as new.

Or if it is really fucked, just refinish it.

Once laminate gets water in the bevel, it is ruined.

If you have a large dog, get laminate.
If you have a small dog/cat hardwood is good.

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I don't know why you wouldn't, since you already have something perfectly good and worth more than your alternate plan.

Ding, ding, ding, Winner!

Just refinish, it's easy, fairly cheap, and the floors will look better than the laminate. There's really no downside here.

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Pergo in particular is usually very slippery for the first few years.  By slippery, I mean in sock feet it's like a sheet of ice.  Walking on Pergo is very tough on dogs, the slipping and sliding can be very stressful on their systems.  Same can be true for ultra high gloss hardwood floors, but Pergo stays slippery for much longer in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He is right...

The tools to do a good dustless job cost 5k+

Or you can rent em all for a few hundred.

Ask any of your friends if they know how, if they do just rent, redo.

You will save a ton.

If you pay a installer to do it, you are going to be giving him around 2+k for a day of work.  (you will be pretty mad when you see how easy it is.)

Or you can read and DIY.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried the pergo in my entry hall.  Way to slippery when wet.  I went back to hardwood floors.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is right...

The tools to do a good dustless job cost 5k+

Or you can rent em all for a few hundred.

Ask any of your friend if they know how, if they do just rent, and redo.

You will save a ton.

If you pay a installer to do it, you are going to be giving him around 2+k for a day of work.

Or you can read and DIY.

I don't think it cost me very much to rent the sander at all.

Plus these days you don't even need to read, theres all sorts of videos.

It's just wood. It's not difficult at all.

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Laminate sucks.

Mostly people that don't have the dough get laminate.  ("oh look at my new hardwood floors"  )  

It is pretty scratch resistant, but one it is scratched it is always scratched.

3850? I assume that means paying to have it done? Shouldn't cost more than a few hundred bucks to rent a sander and buy the supplies. I won't lie. It's a sucky job but it isn't rocket surgery. The wife and I ripped up all the carpet in our old house and redid the floors. I think we were out 700 bucks for 2 bedrooms and a living room. It took us 3 or 4 days of pretty steady work.

I hate laminate. Water warps that shit pretty bad in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I laid Laminate (Very nice laminate) in my new house after I tore up the carpet(slab) If I already had the real hardwood in the house, I would DEFINITELY refinish it.

I grew up in an old Midtown house ....Memphis...guess you don't know about the midtown part, I'm just used to saying it....folks here know

We had real hardwood and we refinished it and it was AMAZING!

Pics of floor maybe?
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laminate sucks.

It is pretty scratch resistant, but one it is scratched it is always scratched.

3850? I assume that means paying to have it done? Shouldn't cost more than a few hundred bucks to rent a sander and buy the supplies. I won't lie. It's a sucky job but it isn't rocket surgery. The wife and I ripped up all the carpet in our old house and redid the floors. I think we were out 700 bucks for 2 bedrooms and a living room. It took us 3 or 4 days of pretty steady work.

I hate laminate. Water warps that shit pretty bad in my experience.

3850, for it to be done by a pro.
To DIY around 500$.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Big drum sander with 60 or 80 grit for the open areas - RENTAL
Side angle sander for the sides and corners the drum sander you can't get with the drum sander - RENTAL

Polyurethane
Pan
Roller

Profit!
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes...our house was built in the 1940's, and we are in the process of refinishing the solid oak flooring.

Refinishing the real wood is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy better for resale value than laminate.

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes...our house was built in the 1940's, and we are in the process of refinishing the solid oak flooring.

Refinishing the real wood is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy better for resale value than laminate.

Impressions. If you cheaped out on the floor, what else did you cheap out on?

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Another option would be locking hardwood(verneer).  Close to the looks and feel of real hardwood, and priced somewhere in-between laminate and T&G hardwoods.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#20]
refinish the floor.. I need to go find pics of what i did my self.. Ill be right back

Will need to upload...  be back in a while...
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Laminate sucks.

It is pretty scratch resistant, but once it is scratched it is always scratched.

I was just coming in to post this.  Laminate doesn't get screwed up by dog claws.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Engineered hardwood is a good in between option, but it still has the finish that will get scratched (alum. oxide or whatever the manufacturer uses) .  Compared to $14 solid hardwood, I paid $5/sq ft  for my Ipe solid engineered that is refinishable.  I have two boxers, and while my 7 year old doesn't scratch the floors, the puppy has needle like nails that do scratch the finish (not in to the actual wood, but it looks the same).

Being that you already have hardwood, refinish it, and in 5-10 years, refinish it again.  I can't stand the thought of ripping up hardwood floor to put a laminate down.     The scratches will add character.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Walking on laminate just "feels" different than walking on wood.

If you don't mind, go laminate.

I hate that feeling so, I'm stuck with wood for the rest of my days.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Re-do the wood.  My In laws had a small room re-done for $400 or so.  Much nicer than laminate.

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#25]
This was from some water damage. Did it all with some help from a buddy. We are not carpenters. Saved a ton of money. and it came out great along with a great sense of satisfaction.

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#26]
it comes down to cost...

Laminate is quit easy to install and is going to be impervious to your dog. same with hardwood with a few coats...
Laminate you could do yourself, just let the flooring get acclimated in your home for afew days before you install it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
it comes down to cost...

Laminate is quit easy to install and is going to be impervious to your dog. same with hardwood with a few coats...
Laminate you could do yourself, just let the flooring get acclimated in your home for afew days before you install it.

you can do hardwood your self too.. Its not hard..
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#28]
We put down laminate  throughout the entire house when we built (it's what we could afford) and I'm not happy with the product.

It's a Mohawk laminate.  Not holding up as well as we'd hoped.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Bamboo?  There's some good-looking stuff out there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#31]
redo the hard wood floor!!! its really not hard at all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#32]
If you have hardwood; refinish it. Call your local flooring store and see how much they'd charge to refinish it at least.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#33]
If you have the wood thickness I'd refinish what you have. I rented a drum and edger sander and bought Bona Mega for a finish. Been happy with it so far, I skimped a little on the finish, I needed like 1.1 gallons, but didn't want to pay for a second jug just to have it go to waste. I could have laid it on thicker and not had to worry so much about my overlap. still looks great tho for 90 yr old maple.

Upstairs I did laminate, took the old man and I about 6 hours to install in a 10x15ft room with a 3x6 closet. I wouldn't pay to have someone do laminate, it's just too easy to do yourself.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Having done 1800 sq feet of hardwood floors here a couple of things I learned:

Do strip it first, it's a pain it smells but sanding will be a breeze if you strip it all first.
Do not use a drum sander find an oscillating sander the one I used was square so I was able to get the edges and corners quite easily.
Go easy on the stain it will dry darker than you think.
When you put the top coats of poly on, make sure you mix it thoroughly and then mix it again just in case.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Refurb
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top