Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/12/2011 10:39:29 AM EDT
Or is everyone who is being hired right now getting a job because they already knew someone in the company?

In the last month I've applied for over 50 jobs that I think my experience makes me capable of doing.  I don't want to waste peoples' time so if I'm not qualified I don't apply for it.  Of those 50 jobs I would say about 10 of them were very close matches to my experience; so much so that I was really excited about seeing them.

Of all those applications, I haven't heard a single word back from anyone.  Of the companies who still have HR contact info listed, my followups get replies that the HR people don't know anything about the job's status.

It's like these people don't even exist, and your resume just gets sucked down a black hole, never to be seen again.

This is not a rant, but an actual question.  As a rant I'd give it a 1/10, personally.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I find it to be a case of who you know nowdays
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Lots of people out there are doing the same as you, and are just as qualified as you. Your fighting for a job that 50 or 100 others are gunning for as well. The job market sucks...thats just the way it is. Your just a number. HR isnt doing it out of spite, but because of the huge ammounts of responses they are getting with every job listing they post.

And I cant speak for ALL companies, but yes- id recon some companies are hiring friends and family members to help take care of their own. My company does it often.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#3]
We hire through temps.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Most HR Departments don't read resumes. They skim each one for about 10-20 seconds, looking for specific information they want in a candidate. This gets even worse during a recession, when they may have hundreds of resumes coming in for one job opening. Some of the larger companies even use software to just skim through resumes looking for applicants with the factors they want.

Maybe you should try redoing your layout and information to see if that helps. Make sure it's concise and clearly shows your work experience, education, and skills.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#5]
yes!
but i agree with the post directly above this one as well
as i have been guilty of it myself
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd guess your resume is being auto-rejected by a program. Review your resume and see if there's anything in there that might cause that to happen.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Or is everyone who is being hired right now getting a job because they already knew someone in the company?

In the last month I've applied for over 50 jobs that I think my experience makes me capable of doing.  I don't want to waste peoples' time so if I'm not qualified I don't apply for it.  Of those 50 jobs I would say about 10 of them were very close matches to my experience; so much so that I was really excited about seeing them.

Of all those applications, I haven't heard a single word back from anyone.  Of the companies who still have HR contact info listed, my followups get replies that the HR people don't know anything about the job's status.

It's like these people don't even exist, and your resume just gets sucked down a black hole, never to be seen again.

This is not a rant, but an actual question.  As a rant I'd give it a 1/10, personally.

50? that all?

Try 500+ over the last 15 months.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

usually at bigger companies, they automatically filter resumes based on key words before they even go to a person. So if your resume is poorly written, it might even get to a person.

Post your resume here and filter out the personal stuff, and you might get some advice on how to beef it up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

sometimes "who you know" will get you rejected faster than if you would have left them off of the resume
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Not sure, I cant get a good candidate to save my ass. Let me know where all these job searchers are applying at.....
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#12]
People apply for EVERYTHING. My dept. had an opening for a web developer/programmer last year; you would not believe who applied. People who had 0.0% web programming experience...fucking secretaries, librarians, front desk 'managers', and some lady who thought working the phones at a day school made her a flash programmer?

There's some god damn retards out there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Someone higher up than I who works HR for a big local company tells me humans don't read resumes, the resumes are run through a program that looks for certain key words and phrases.  Those that are flagged by the program, those are the ones that go to a person to read and review in detail.

This.

Although I've recently told my HR department to stop doing that for my open positions as I'm actually having a hard time filling them.  I want to see everything that comes in for those reqs because I realize that many people have pretty poor resume-writing skills and I don't want to miss out on someone that may fit what I'm looking for.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I've always tailored my resumes for the job at hand. And whenever possible, established personal contact so I was a little more than just another paper in the pile.

A little embellishment doesn't hurt so long as you can back it up if required.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#16]
The last time I needed to hire I had one position that I needed to fill, I got over 100 applications.  Now I run a small branch in this company and I'm the only one that goes through application.  I have to do this on top of everything else I have to do in a day.  Needless to say I didn't go through every application with a fine tooth comb and I didn't call every applicant in for an interview.  Make sure your resume or application stands out in a good way.  We use application here that need to be filled out by hand.  If I couldn't read it because of poor handwriting or bad spelling I didn't waste my time.  If someone took the time to bring a decent resume, even though we don't require one, I took a longer look at their application.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Send your resume to the person making the hiring decision instead of HR if you can.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone higher up than I who works HR for a big local company tells me humans don't read resumes, the resumes are run through a program that looks for certain key words and phrases.  Those that are flagged by the program, those are the ones that go to a person to read and review in detail.

This.

Although I've recently told my HR department to stop doing that for my open positions as I'm actually having a hard time filling them.  I want to see everything that comes in for those reqs because I realize that many people have pretty poor resume-writing skills and I don't want to miss out on someone that may fit what I'm looking for.

As a hiring manager I had to do the same, and tell HR "STOP Helping me, just send me ALL the resumes". Otherwise I received NO resumes from them.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
People apply for EVERYTHING. My dept. had an opening for a web developer/programmer last year; you would not believe who applied. People who had 0.0% web programming experience...fucking secretaries, librarians, front desk 'managers', and some lady who thought working the phones at a day school made her a flash programmer?

I don't do this.  I'm a bottom-line-up-front guy.  I don't want to waste anyone's time.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Then the question becomes, "how well are the search scripts programmed, and are they really looking for the right keywords."
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Given that my wife is in HR, there might be some other issues as well.  First off, at her previous job, she was hired out of three hundred applicants and it ended up being because her previous boss is mentored by the owner of my company in YPO (who you know not what you know and overrun by a plethora or applicants).  If you have someone already in, having them tell whoever's doing the picking "hire this guy or you're an idiot," can at least get your foot in the door.

Secondly, when she's looking to fill spots she tends to auto disqualify overly qualified people because they'll be there for as long as they need to then bail, so she'll have to find someone else.  When you bail 2 months after you start it reflects poorly on her because she "picked" you.  Also, if you have your PhD and are looking for a job at Wendy's, this might disqualify you because HR thinks you didn't read the posted salary range; my wife has actually called people about missing this and some bailed right then and there and some gave a reasonable answer to why they were willing to accept a lower paying job than they are qualified for.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Someone higher up than I who works HR for a big local company tells me humans don't read resumes, the resumes are run through a program that looks for certain key words and phrases. Those that are flagged by the program, those are the ones that go to a person to read and review in detail.

They don't even read the resume in detail, just call or email the flagged people and expect them read their resume to the HR drone.

I've gotten calls for I/T jobs were the "recruiter" asked questions that were clearly answered if they had taken the time to actually read my resume. It really pisses me off when I get calls for jobs that have absolutely NOTHING do to with the resume I submitted.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Send your resume to the person making the hiring decision instead of HR if you can.

These people are kept secret.  HR protects it's fiefdom by not letting applicants know who the hiring managers are, and then they protect themselves by removing any contact info from their websites.    For the majority of companies I've applied to, there is no way to follow up after submitting an application.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd guess your resume is being auto-rejected by a program. Review your resume and see if there's anything in there that might cause that to happen.

That is probably what happened.

Another thing to think about...Are you female? Are you a minority? Are you disabled?

Do you know someone at any of the companies?

I know a very large company here (Think Fortune 500 and in the double digits) that will post jobs but the positions are already filled.

They do this because if they didn't post them then they would be sued by every group out there for not offering the jobs to people who are not even remotely qualified.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These people are kept secret.  HR protects it's fiefdom by not letting applicants know who the hiring managers are, and then they protect themselves by removing any contact info from their websites.    For the majority of companies I've applied to, there is no way to follow up after submitting an application.

This has been my experience.  You can not even find a name to address your cover letter to in many cases.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is probably what happened.

Another thing to think about...Are you female? Are you a minority? Are you disabled?

Do you know someone at any of the companies?

I know a very large company here (Think Fortune 500 and in the double digits) that will post jobs but the positions are already filled.

They do this because if they didn't post them then they would be sued by every group out there for not offering the jobs to people who are not even remotely qualified.

BigDozer66

While male, 27 years old.  I decline to answer when asked.

I long ago exhausted my contacts, and I'm deep into unknown territory.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Knowing someone on the inside is still your best bet, and frankly always has been.  The purpose of HR departments is not to hire someone, their job is to weed out as many as possible so the hiring manager isn't looking thru hundreds of resumes.  Many large companies have gone to computer screening (the fed in particular).  You must tailor your resume to the job listing.  Use as many of the words in the posting or job description as you can.  This can make for a tedious process, but one size fits all resumes are no longer viable.  

Your other option is temp agencies.  A lot of companies use them.  It does get your foot in the door, and at least some cash flow.  Most temp agencies over sell your chances of a permanent hire but it does happen.  

The job market remains poor and likely will continue to be weak for three to five years.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Post your resume, we will tell you why.

I would suggest a simplified one page resume tapered to the job.  Have several people proof read it for structure, grammar, spelling, content, etc.  Your head would spin at what turns people off on a resume.

Military dialog for schools is one example.  Nobody in HR wants to know what a good killer you were.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Post your resume, we will tell you why.

This
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't want to toot my own horn but I'm fucking awsome.  My current employer hired me even though I had no experience with the software they use, and they thought I would take off at the first oppurtunity I got because they were paying so little.  Out of around 100 resumes sent out where I would have been a good fit they were the only ones to call me for an interview or acknowledge that they even recieved my resume.  I've since applied for two jobs, one of witch I can't imagine they will find a canditate more qualified than I am and have not heard a word either of them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#31]
My sister lives in a town of 50k people in an area that's well below the national average in unemployment. She replied to an add that came out on Thursday and got an interview on Friday and was hired. Nothing major just an office job, light book keeping, answering the phone etc....

She started to work on Monday. When she arrived at work on Monday (ad was taken out Thursday) just in the fax machine alone from Friday and the weekend were 300 resumes and that doesn't include ones that were emailed or snail mailed.

I can't fathom trying to get a job at any time especially now where you don't already have some sort of connection. I own a small business with about 75 people that varies up and down and the only time I've ever read a resume is when sitting across from someone during an interview just to have something to glance at for a sec to make them nervous as to what I'm reading. Guess it depends on the industry.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Why should they?  They already know who they're hiring.  Asking for resumes is just a formality to meet with EEO/Fair employment claims.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#33]
HR uses resumes to disqualify people.  They are not the decision makers just the screeners.

Use a recruiter
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Recessions/depressions have consequences.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Normally, they take half and throw them in the trash. Nobody wants to hire someone who is just plain unlucky.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Employers' market.

And yes, HR still looks at resumes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I vary the objective based on the job I'm applying to.  I'm qualified for jobs working in avionics development, simulation, or robotics.  My previous job was a pretty even balance of all three.

Experience

2006 – 2010, MEI Technologies
Contracted through Jacobs Engineering to provide engineering support to NASA’s Johnson Space Center in the following two positions:  

2007 – 2010, Robotic Simulation Analyst
Robotic Simulation Analyst for the Space Shuttle Remote Manipulator System (SRMS) program.  Involved in all stages of 6 degree-of-freedom simulation of the SRMS:
-Developing requirements for new simulators
-Performing pre-release testing
-Verification and validation of components from model to simulation levels
-Preparing initial condition inputs
-Running non-real-time batch simulations
-Acting as test director for real-time pilot-in-the-loop studies
-Building data processing scripts and spreadsheets
-Analyzing and interpreting data outputs
-Writing and presenting test plans, crew briefings and summary reports
Additionally, required to have an intimate understanding of the SRMS portion of the Space Shuttle software, and support software testing in the Shuttle Avionics and Integration Laboratory to verify changes and find and fix errors.  During Space Shuttle flights, provide real-time support for SRMS operations on-orbit as a go-to for the Payload Deployment and Retrieval Systems console in the Mission Control Center.

2006 – 2007, Thermal Vacuum and Environmental Testing Facility Engineer
Performed facility support for testing of Extra Vehicular Activity tools by directing the build-up of thermal vacuum test chambers.  Managed configuration control and design changes for vacuum systems and high pressure liquid nitrogen and gaseous oxygen systems.  Responsible for upgrade of a man-rated hypobaric oxygen chamber to meet modern oxygen system safety requirements.

Software Experience
Advanced Knowledge:
-Linux
-C++
-MathCad
-Microsoft Excel
-Pro-Engineer

Working Knowledge:
-Pro-Mechanica
-NASTRAN
-Perl

Education

Lamar University, 2005
-B.S. Physics
-B.S. Mechanical Engineering

Post-Baccalaureate Study
University of Houston Clear Lake, Graduate Physics Program, 2008
-Math Methods for Physicists
-Analytical Mechanics
-Quantum Mechanics
-Bioastrophysics

That's the meat of it along with contact info.  It's one page in its current form.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Networking, Networking, Networking, always be networking, it's all about who you know.  Can't stress this enough.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#39]
They check your history via court records instead.   Got a habit of beating people up or suing employers?  Don't expect a call.

CJ
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Networking, Networking, Networking, always be networking, it's all about who you know.  Can't stress this enough.

That is something I forgot to mention.  A lady where I work now knew a guy a trained back in 97 so she called him to ask him about me. So while I didn't know anyone here someone here knew someone that I had worked with.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I vary the objective based on the job I'm applying to.  I'm qualified for jobs working in avionics development, simulation, or robotics.  My previous job was a pretty even balance of all three.

Experience

2006 – 2010, MEI Technologies

Contracted through Jacobs Engineering to provide engineering support to NASA’s Johnson Space Center in the following two positions:  

2007 – 2010, Robotic Simulation Analyst

Robotic Simulation Analyst for the Space Shuttle Remote Manipulator System (SRMS) program.  Involved in all stages of 6 degree-of-freedom simulation of the SRMS:

-Developing requirements for new simulators

-Performing pre-release testing

-Verification and validation of components from model to simulation levels

-Preparing initial condition inputs

-Running non-real-time batch simulations

-Acting as test director for real-time pilot-in-the-loop studies

-Building data processing scripts and spreadsheets

-Analyzing and interpreting data outputs

-Writing and presenting test plans, crew briefings and summary reports

Additionally, required to have an intimate understanding of the SRMS portion of the Space Shuttle software, and support software testing in the Shuttle Avionics and Integration Laboratory to verify changes and find and fix errors.  During Space Shuttle flights, provide real-time support for SRMS operations on-orbit as a go-to for the Payload Deployment and Retrieval Systems console in the Mission Control Center.

2006 – 2007, Thermal Vacuum and Environmental Testing Facility Engineer

Performed facility support for testing of Extra Vehicular Activity tools by directing the build-up of thermal vacuum test chambers.  Managed configuration control and design changes for vacuum systems and high pressure liquid nitrogen and gaseous oxygen systems.  Responsible for upgrade of a man-rated hypobaric oxygen chamber to meet modern oxygen system safety requirements.

Software Experience

Advanced Knowledge:

-Linux

-C++

-MathCad

-Microsoft Excel

-Pro-Engineer

Working Knowledge:

-Pro-Mechanica

-NASTRAN

-Perl

Education

Lamar University, 2005

-B.S. Physics

-B.S. Mechanical Engineering

Post-Baccalaureate Study

University of Houston Clear Lake, Graduate Physics Program, 2008

-Math Methods for Physicists

-Analytical Mechanics

-Quantum Mechanics

-Bioastrophysics

That's the meat of it along with contact info.  It's one page in its current form.

Too many words...  I'd suggest tightening up the bullet points.

Generally, employers only look at a resume for 30 seconds before making a decision about which pile to put it in.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They check your history via court records instead.   Got a habit of beating people up or suing employers?  Don't expect a call.

CJ

Never arrested, never filed suit or been sued, haven't gotten a ticket since 2000.  Facebook is privatized and I barely post on it anyway; made one post in the last 5 months.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't do this.  I'm a bottom-line-up-front guy.  I don't want to waste anyone's time.

I work in HR and I thank you for this.

Boss: "Why don't we post an ad on Monster..."

Me: *groan/sigh* "I guess, but we'll have to sort through tons of resumes because a lot of UNQUALIFIED yahoos will apply....Even if it says candidates with ACTIVE TOP SECRET ONLY on it..."

Mattyvac,

I've experienced the same thing. I had a guy apply for a Java dev position we had open. Dude was DC Capitol Police.

Not. A. Fugn. PROGRAMMER...

Didn't even say Java in his resume. At least make a slight effort to show you have some experience to the job you are applying for. I have to read that crap. I have to respond. Don't waste my time.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#44]
The job market sucks....of course, when I was working, it wasn't bad at all....now that my contract wasn't renewed...I'm screwed 10 ways to Sunday.  Going on 3 weeks to hear back on 3 positions or people not emailing me back at all.....thinking of changing careers....of course...there is always going back to School
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't want to toot my own horn but I'm fucking awsome.  My current employer hired me even though I had no experience with the software they use, and they thought I would take off at the first oppurtunity I got because they were paying so little.  Out of around 100 resumes sent out where I would have been a good fit they were the only ones to call me for an interview or acknowledge that they even recieved my resume.  I've since applied for two jobs, one of witch I can't imagine they will find a canditate more qualified than I am and have not heard a word either of them.

I cain't  imagine why they didn't snap you rite  up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

50? that all?

Try 500+ over the last 15 months.

even when it was not a recession, my ex fil sent out 400 resumes on his first mailing, and about 300 of them 2 weeks later.

Had to move from Oklahoma to Minnesota, but he ran that company until he retired.

TXL
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

its about 50/50 where I work.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Shit, even when I know people it's still hard as hell to get a job.

Not knowing someone? Unpossible.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I had the same luck as OP. My last resort and last application was to a county Sheriffs Dept. They called me within 2 hrs... I wasnt impressed but I took the job as a jailer anyway. I needed a paycheck.
 (I used to make 70k a yr as an aircraft mechanic, now I qualify for food stamps)
Never stop looking
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Network, network, network.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top