Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/11/2011 12:34:28 AM EDT
I'm badly addicted to nicotine....hardcore...I usually smoke two packs of Marlboro a day....
I can't function without a damned cigarette.
I've been tryig to quit...but everytime...it's back to the damned store to buy a pack...
Hell, I tried pacthes, gum, pills...they don't work...I can't concentrate, I get the damned shakes, etc, etc....

I'm starting to get really scared as I know it's killing me...and I have to be around at least a few more years fromy little daughter and the wifey...

Picked up a disposable E-cig at a truck stop on the way home ...WOW
So I located a local suplier of E-cigs and bought a refillable kit....
I have not touched a real one since

First day I have not smelled like ass from smoking!!!

Takes a little getting used to...I'm still reaching for my lighter and an ashtray
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Its great isn't it.

I'm 4 weeks clean without a real cig.  
It feels great.  Just wait till you see how much money you'll be saving.
My e-cig cost me about 20-25 a month in refills compared to 150+ in cigs.

I just dropped from a high level nicotine (26mg) to med (18 mg).  I figure about another month or two and I'll be done with the e-cig.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 1:12:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I ordered one a couple hours ago after a bunch of research determining they are safe and the .gov just doesn't want to test and verify that in fear of losing revenue on tobacco.  

Plus I got some skins that are camo so mine will look fucking badass as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 1:13:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Man that's great! Congrats.
Now if I could just get my mom to try this....
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats to all of you!

My wife switched to e-cigs last July and still hasn't touched a cigarette since... thought she would never quit. But here she is, almost 9 months later still smoke-free and feeling better... And you will too!

Here's some places she has order from if you want more choices. The first one is the main one she uses now, great people;

http://www.cignot.com/

http://www.diyflavorshack.com/

http://www.liquidxpress.com/cart.html

There's even an e-cig forum for more help & info: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

Best of luck to yall!

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 1:49:33 AM EDT
[#5]
You just traded one crutch for another.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 1:55:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 2:01:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's better than the alternative....smoking until I die.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 2:07:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

He did waaay better for himself.  Don't shit on someone trying to do better for themselves.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 2:10:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Congrats! Please keep it up for your family.  Don't break weak, stay strong!

My Mom died from cancer in Dec 2005......
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 2:12:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Best of luck. I quit back in Nov. and its tough.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 2:28:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Btdt. You will be fine until the battery is dead and the damn thing doesn't work. Then off to the store in a rage to buy real smokes.

I finally just quit altogether. You can do it if you really want to. I have a little over a year smoke free and my wife just quit 2 weeks ago. So far, so good. We used chantix.

It nice not to rely on a drug to get through the day.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats awesome! I have been clean for 2 months thanks to my ecig. Yeah, it may be swapping one crutch for another, but you know what? Its still a better alternative than a real cigarette. I smoked for 15 years and got off those damn things, I know you can too
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 2:48:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Almost 2 months without analogs.  Started with a 650mAH eGo kit with Boge 3.0ohm cartos, currently on my own custom 3.7volt boxmod running 1.5ohm atties for dripping and Boge 2.0ohm cartos for mobile use.  Got some other mod builds planned, and ordering some CE2 XL Clearomizers pretty soon because I'm starting to get tired of filler-packed cartos.

Here's another e-cig thread with a ton of Q&A and plenty of useful info...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1152118
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Btdt. You will be fine until the battery is dead and the damn thing doesn't work. Then off to the store in a rage to buy real smokes.

I finally just quit altogether. You can do it if you really want to. I have a little over a year smoke free and my wife just quit 2 weeks ago. So far, so good. We used chantix.

ETA if anyone wants my old ecig, I'm me your address and its yours. Juice and all.

DIBS!  Please, I'm so tired of smoking
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA if anyone wants my old ecig, I'm me your address and its yours. Juice and all.

DIBS!  Please, I'm so tired of smoking

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 4:24:52 AM EDT
[#16]
The technology and reliability is so much better now.  I used it about a year ago, but the things would stop working and the foam cartridges were crap.  Just got another one last month with the re-fillable cartridges.  These are so much better.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 4:27:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The technology and reliability is so much better now.  I used it about a year ago, but the things would stop working and the foam cartridges were crap.  Just got another one last month with the re-fillable cartridges.  These are so much better.

More times than not, someone that gives up e-cigs to go back to analogs did it because the gear they were using was either the expensive mall junk or it was good gear that just wasn't set up properly(vape method, juice, etc).  More and more people are starting to venture in to the real e-cig world, but unfortunately it's still very much an "underground" thing.  Over time it will gain steam, especially once the FDA finally stops dicking around and starts backing this stuff.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 4:34:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag for future
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 4:35:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm a little over a month without a smoke because of Ecigs , great little device !
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 4:44:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm thinking about taking up the e-cig habit.  What's the lowest dose?  Also, can I get it with just the water vapor...no nicotine at all?
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 4:49:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Its been 9 years since I had a cigarette. I smoked 1 1/2 packs a day. Ive saved close to 20,000.00.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Good on you guys: smoking is a tough habit to break and stopping all of that smoke and tar will help avoid lung cancer and COPD down the road.  Just a word of caution however, the E-Cig is not completely safe (safer than the real thing, of course) but nicotine is a vasocontrictor and can still contribute to coronary artery disease and peripheral vascualr disease. I still reccomend coming off the E-Cig as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Almost 2 months without analogs.  Started with a 650mAH eGo kit with Boge 3.0ohm cartos, currently on my own custom 3.7volt boxmod running 1.5ohm atties for dripping and Boge 2.0ohm cartos for mobile use.  Got some other mod builds planned, and ordering some CE2 XL Clearomizers pretty soon because I'm starting to get tired of filler-packed cartos.

Is your e-cig overclocked?

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I received mine this weekend - so far so good.  I bought 2, to alternate when charging and as a general backup.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:06:53 AM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:07:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I received mine this weekend - so far so good.  I bought 2, to alternate when charging and as a general backup.

2 is 1, and 1 is none
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:11:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, but one crutch causes cancer, the other one doesn't.

RF
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:37:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Hmm, can anyone recommend a quality E-Cig for me?  I'm looking to quit the cancer sticks too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hmm, can anyone recommend a quality E-Cig for me?  I'm looking to quit the cancer sticks too.

There's all sorts of good ones out there.  You can get a decent startup kit, or build your own kit, you can go the mod route, etc.  Mostly depends on your budget.

With that said, I usually recommend new users try out the eGo mega/XL kits and order some cartomizers instead of using the included atomizers/cartridges.  Or you can save some money and start right away with something like a box mod, see the last post in the thread I linked above for a photo.  There's all sorts of options that don't include spending $100+ at the mall for one of those ccrappy cig look-alike kits.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#30]
30 year smoker myself. Emergency surgery 6 weeks ago, figured was time to quit. Went to the e-cig. No smokes in 6 weeks. Never thought I could do it. Ever. Also dropped 35 pounds. I'm on my way, wish I would have done this 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#31]
wow - very cool stuff

do they make them for cigar smokers who want to quit?
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#32]
E cigs aren't very good at delivering nicotine. This to me is a good thing, next time you order refills reduce the nicotine content a bit then a bit more next month then give those up too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You live in a fairy tale land if you think those e cigs are harmless. You're still breathing chemicals into your body.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:31:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You live in a fairy tale land if you think those e cigs are harmless. You're still breathing chemicals into your body.

Such as...?  I know.  Nicotine.  Either propylene glycol, vegetable Glycerin or a mixture of both.  Flavor.  Whatever base is used for the flavor(water, alcohol, PG, etc).  Is it 100% safe and healthy?  Don't know, but I would be willing to bet the farm it's safer and healthier than analogs by leaps and bounds.  Not to mention I feel a lot healthier than I did while smoking, can breath a lot easier, don't hack up my lungs like I used to, can taste and smell things I couldn't before, etc.
Would my assumption that you aren't a smoker be correct?  Generally, the people I come across that criticize e-cigs or call e-cigs/patches/gum a "crutch" for smokers, have never picked up a cigarette and don't fully understand how incredibly addictive and harmful they are apart from what they're told or what they read.  No offense meant, just pointing it out.

Eta:  And it's also worth noting the FDA hasn't approved or backed e-cigs because...

A.  They're still fairly new and in developement, and there hasn't been a sufficient amount of time for clinical studies...but they are being done.

B.  Kinda hard for a new and growing e-cig community to compete with big tobacco.

I'm sure when/if phillip-morris releases an e-cig, the FDA will jump right in bed with the vaping community.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#35]
If e-cigs help smokers quit smoking the real thing, wonderful.  Smoking is probably the worst thing you can do for your body outside of guzzling hard liquor daily or doing meth.  A lot of people would like to quit smoking, but don't think they'll ever be able to, so they don't even bother trying.  That's where e-cigs can help out.  Those of you people with your holier than thou attitudes about crutches can just shut your mouths.

AV1611 (a life-long NON-smoker and R.N.).........
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Aren't you helpful?

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Good for you, OP!!

Now, wean yourself off the e-cigs as soon as you can.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Good for you, OP!!

You can just kick down the nic a step at a time with the juices, until you hit 0.  At that point all you have to do is kick the mental half of the habit, since nicotine isn't a factor anymore...or just keep vaping, enjoying all the different options and flavors on the market.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#39]
My e-cig(s) looks like this.

Who has a similar model, and where are you buying refills?  I want to buy liquid and refill blanks.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/xmya55/This.jpg

Who has a similar model, and where are you buying refills?  I want to buy liquid and refill blanks.

Thank you.  

A lot of the off-brands like that are the ones sold at malls and gas stations, and are proprietary in their design as far as replacement parts/accessories go.  Another reason why a name-brand/reputable e-cig would be a better option, the industry standard appears to be 510-style threading/adapters...meaning TONS of options out there, and easier to find accessories.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.  

A lot of the off-brands like that are the ones sold at malls and gas stations, and are proprietary in their design as far as replacement parts/accessories go.  Another reason why a name-brand/reputable e-cig would be a better option, the industry standard appears to be 510-style threading/adapters...meaning TONS of options out there, and easier to find accessories.

It is a - "s m o k e a s s i s t" - type.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.  

It is a - "s m o k e a s s i s t" - type.

Never heard of it, your best bet would probably be google...but I'm assuming you won't find much for it other than what it would come with in the kit.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:51:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Congrats!!!

Don't stop quitting!

My girl and I quit a couple of months ago. She used Chantix, I just stopped smoking.

We haven't really had serious withdrawls... she was on Chantix for 3 weeks then said screw it, it's too expensive. I was just tired of smoking but wouldn't stop until she did.

You can do it.

We notice that we don't smell anymore like an ashtray and we don't hang with smokers anymore either.

We just talked about it this weekend asking whether we missed it or not... our answer was we didn't. At all.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Such as...? I know. Nicotine. Either propylene glycol, vegetable Glycerin or a mixture of both. Flavor. Whatever base is used for the flavor(water, alcohol, PG, etc). Is it 100% safe and healthy? Don't know, but I would be willing to bet the farm it's safer and healthier than analogs by leaps and bounds. Not to mention I feel a lot healthier than I did while smoking, can breath a lot easier, don't hack up my lungs like I used to, can taste and smell things I couldn't before, etc.

Would my assumption that you aren't a smoker be correct? Generally, the people I come across that criticize e-cigs or call e-cigs/patches/gum a "crutch" for smokers, have never picked up a cigarette and don't fully understand how incredibly addictive and harmful they are apart from what they're told or what they read. No offense meant, just pointing it out.

Eta: And it's also worth noting the FDA hasn't approved or backed e-cigs because...

A. They're still fairly new and in developement, and there hasn't been a sufficient amount of time for clinical studies...but they are being done.

B. Kinda hard for a new and growing e-cig community to compete with big tobacco.

I'm sure when/if phillip-morris releases an e-cig, the FDA will jump right in bed with the vaping community.

FDA doesn't want testing. ANy other drug would have been fully tested with a verdict by now.  They know they are pretty safe and wont be able to sin tax it like they do tobacco and the minute they say it is safer the government will lose billions in tobacco tax revenue.

I wouldn't hold your breath for conclusive testing for that reason alone.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good for you, OP!!

You can just kick down the nic a step at a time with the juices, until you hit 0. At that point all you have to do is kick the mental half of the habit, since nicotine isn't a factor anymore...or just keep vaping, enjoying all the different options and flavors on the market.

that's my plan.  I could care less erally if I never quit the e cig if all Im puffing is flavored water fvapor with no nicoteen.  THe other chemicals in it from what I have read are already approved by the FDA  in food use.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who has a similar model, and where are you buying refills? I want to buy liquid and refill blanks.

Thank you.

A lot of the off-brands like that are the ones sold at malls and gas stations, and are proprietary in their design as far as replacement parts/accessories go. Another reason why a name-brand/reputable e-cig would be a better option, the industry standard appears to be 510-style threading/adapters...meaning TONS of options out there, and easier to find accessories.

I ordered the No.7 stealth kit that has refilable cartridges.   I had a couple friends that used it and said it was a good one plus the company is in texas.  I try to support good states when i can.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Man that's great! Congrats.
Now if I could just get my mom to try this....

Keep pestering your Mom to stop.  I lost mine in 2002 from lung cancer. We used to bug the parents to quit when we were kids. I should have kept it up as an adult. Don't know if she would have quit, as she failed many times. Lung cancer is serious shit, most do not survive a few years after diagnosis. Good luck.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

E-cigs are now a hobby?

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you, OP!!

You can just kick down the nic a step at a time with the juices, until you hit 0. At that point all you have to do is kick the mental half of the habit, since nicotine isn't a factor anymore...or just keep vaping, enjoying all the different options and flavors on the market.

that's my plan.  I could care less erally if I never quit the e cig if all Im puffing is flavored water fvapor with no nicoteen.  THe other chemicals in it from what I have read are already approved by the FDA  in food use.

If I'm correct, PG and VG are approved by the USDA for use in food and other products, and I *think* the FDA has approved PG for use in .mil rations. That's about the extent of my reading on FDA/USDA approval.  You can get PG/VG that is certified by USP(United States Pharmacopeia) for DIY'ing your own e-liquids.  Nothing is approved or certified to be used in e-liquid, though, because FDA/USDA won't touch it obviously.  Most of the big name US e-liquid makers use USP certified VG/PG and independent lab certified nicotine.  Anything else in the juice(flavor, base, cut, etc) is whatever from wherever.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Almost
2 months without analogs.  Started with a 650mAH eGo kit with Boge
3.0ohm cartos, currently on my own custom 3.7volt boxmod running 1.5ohm
atties for dripping and Boge 2.0ohm cartos for mobile use.  Got some
other mod builds planned, and ordering some CE2 XL Clearomizers pretty
soon because I'm starting to get tired of filler-packed cartos.

E-cigs are now a hobby?

A lot of vapers start out with a kit, and end up turning it in to a full-blown hobby.  I noticed this when I started and thought "well that's odd, I'm just gonna use this to quit smoking and maybe enjoy some sweet flavors in the process" and am now building my own mods.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top