Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2002 4:11:24 AM EDT
This question has to do with the cannon fuse found at most gunshows.

Which is more waterproof, the red or green kind?

Does anyone know on the average, how far the fuse will burn underwater?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard 35 feet below water mentioned once, can't remember where though, or which variety they referred to.

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
WHY, DO YOU HAVE A CANNON YOU WANT TO FIRE FROM UNDER WATER? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#3]
"Torpedo- LOS!"

Damn, we bought the wrong fuse! It's NOT waterproof!

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Ron:

Out of curiosity, I asked a vendor at a show what the difference between the red and green fuse was.  His answer:  color.  I'm not being sarcastic, I think there is no difference.

Maybe a model rocket hobbyist can help us?

-White Horse

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I think color denotes either length of the cord or the speed of burn in ft/min. Cannon fuse should carry it's own oxidizer and should burn under water.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#6]
What you are seeing at the fun shows is called "visco fuse" and all have similar burn rates of 3 sec per inch.  Yes, it is waterproof, and will burn IF it is ignited before submersion or the ends are sealed.

I have seen red, green and blue cannon fuse and the only difference was the color of the lacquer coating.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Imbroglio for the info.
Sorry, no cannon 5150BRY.
No torpedo, Meplat, but did you consider depth charges?!!  [}:D]

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ron:

Out of curiosity, I asked a vendor at a show what the difference between the red and green fuse was.  His answer:  color.  I'm not being sarcastic, I think there is no difference.

Maybe a model rocket hobbyist can help us?

-White Horse

View Quote

Thats what I was told when i was buying a few rolls,I bought the green and the red and burns very well underwater.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey, hand me that cannon fuse.

Cannon fuse??!!

What's that for???

My cannon.

:)

WL
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#10]
sorry folks but color on cannon fuse denotes size 1/8th, 7/64ths & 5/32, !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top