Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2002 1:35:01 AM EDT
I've come to the conclusion that I am going to have to abandon Seattle in the very near future.  Can anyone tell me what the environment in Austin is like at this point?  Anyone hiring, how much does a house cost, things like that?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:52:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get a decent house, in a decent neighborhood, for around 100K. A nice house in a nice neighborhood is around the mid to upper 100s. A very nice house in one of the exclusive neighborhoods (with really strict HOAs) will start at the low 200s and get as expensive as you want.

Despite the economic slowdown (which is slowly starting to reverse itself) there are still plenty of jobs around here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I like Austin.  I dont live there thoug. The coast of living is high. But it is a party place.  Lots of fishing holes to.  You will need a good job to survive there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:50:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Housing in Austin is a mixed bag.  Generally a little higher than the rest of the state except Houston and Dallas.  Texas has no state income tax but 8.25 percent sales tax.

Dell Computer is a few miles north of Austin in Round Rock.  Austin has start-ups like Surgient Networks and Crossroads Networks in SAN-type products.  Cisco and HP/Compaq have places there too.

The atmospherics of Austin are different than any other place in Texas; music, lakes, the University, the Hill Country, lots of outdoor things.  Austin has a younger population.  It's like one big university town with a high tech manufacturing base.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:15:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I used this [url]http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html[/url] to figure col difference between SF bay area and Boise.  It's weighted toward housing, so if you're making money on a house in SEA, the Austin number may be high.  Good luck with your move.  I lived in TX for 13 years and would go back in a minute.  Summers might be interesting for you for a few years.

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:33:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I love Austin, it's those damn liberal POSs that live there that keep the place from being a Paradise, however!

Eric The(TheSceneryIsTopNotch)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:52:22 AM EDT
[#8]
If you think racism is a problem in Seattle, you're in for a major eye-opener should you go to Texas.

That being said, the cost of housing in Austin is MUCH lower than in the Seattle area. Other cost of living expenses will more or less be a wash.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Racism? Racism in Austin, Texas? The 'Madison' of the South?

I doubt it!

Eric The(Sincerely)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:28:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Austin ain't a bad place... I've lived here for 11 years.  Right now, I live in Round Rock.  Cost of living can go from moderate to high, but then, I haven't really lived anywhere else in my adult life to compare!

Examples of rent would be like this:  A 1 bedroom apartment, going from an older, smaller apartment, to a newer, huge luxury apartment, range from about $600 to about $900+  Rent is lower the further you get from downtown.  Lower in Pflugerville, Round Rock and Georgetown.  

The atmosphere is excellent.  Yeah, we got some liberal whiney bastards here, but heck, it's the capital, and there's a big university.. they're sure to come.  
We DO have tons of live music, we also host SXSW every year.  Lakes/rivers galore.  

M@
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Austin ain't a bad place... I've lived here for 11 years.  Right now, I live in Round Rock.  Cost of living can go from moderate to high, but then, I haven't really lived anywhere else in my adult life to compare!

Examples of rent would be like this:  A 1 bedroom apartment, going from an older, smaller apartment, to a newer, huge luxury apartment, range from about $600 to about $900+  Rent is lower the further you get from downtown.  Lower in Pflugerville, Round Rock and Georgetown.  

The atmosphere is excellent.  Yeah, we got some liberal whiney bastards here, but heck, it's the capital, and there's a big university.. they're sure to come.  
We DO have tons of live music, we also host SXSW every year.  Lakes/rivers galore.  

M@
View Quote

edited to add:
You'll have some shooting buddies down here.  Lordtrader and a few others are up in Dallas, not too far away.  We could have some good turnout with Texas Shoots.  We also have CCW and our gun laws are pretty relaxed.  :)

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]If you think racism is a problem in Seattle, you're in for a major eye-opener should you go to Texas.[/b]

Nice slam, [b]Boomer[/b]! Ever actually been to Texas?

Austin is known locally as "Berkley on the Colorado". It certainly has a higher density of liberals and whackos than any any other Texas city, but also has a lot going for it (location, night life, and diverse employment base).
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:37:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice slam, [b]Boomer[/b]! Ever actually been to Texas?
View Quote

Yes, I have. My comment was not meant as a slam nor is it inaccurate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can get a decent house, in a decent neighborhood, for around 100K.
View Quote

Ah.  That's my primary concern.  In Seattle, an "average" house in a "reasonable" neighborhood is $300K now -- fortunately, I bought years ago.  I couldn't possibly afford to live here if I were buying or renting nowadays, not even if the job market were as good as it was two years ago.

[red]DoubleFeed[/red], what sort of apartment is that $645/mo one?  Studio, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR;  with amenities or plain??  Up here, a 2BR can be had for around $900, but if it's on the lake it's more like $1500.

[red]Hanko[/red], thanks for the link;  I'll do some number-crunching there.

[red]Arock[/red], the taxes sound just dandy so far.  King County sales tax is 8.8%, or 9.3% at restaurants.  Housing taxes run about 1.1% of assessed value, or roughly $3300 on the average $300K house.  TX's gas tax is almost certainly lower than WA's.  No income tax here, although the leftists desperately want one.

[red]Boomer[/red], I'm not particularly concerned with racism -- I don't like it, but it hasn't affected me much if at all (other than in college admissions).  We've argued about it in relation to Sidran's Oscar's II debacle, but I'm not sure you realize that I'm a mix of Anglo-Saxon, Aryan, Pict, and Sheep (or whatever else the Scots brought into the bloodline).  I just happen to know and support Oscar and his wife, whose only mistake was in trusting the Seattle police and trying to help them fight drug crime in their neighborhood.

Music, well, Mary Prankster doesn't play either state, so it's a wash. [:D]

Thanks, gents.  I wish Oregon were in better shape so I could stay a little more local, but. . . .
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I've heard Austin compared to Portland, although I've never been to Portland, so I don't know how true that is.

There is no state income tax, sales tax 8.25% (groceries not taxed), annual property tax in the City of Austin last year was 2.5043% of assessed value, gasoline prices are about $1.269 per gallon of 87 octane.  Natez is pretty accurate on the housing prices.

I don't know where Boomer got his idea of racism in Austin.  I didn't find much difference between here and the SF Bay Area when I lived there.

Employment depends on what field you're in.  High tech is not hiring right now in general, although there are a few minor exceptions.  Everything else seems to be doing okay and still hiring.  Overall unemployment was running 5.4% in March, up from less than 2% at the height of the boom in 2000.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#16]
If you want to get a feel for apartment rental prices in Austin, try [url]http://www.amli.com/comm/apartments-austin.htm[/url].  AMLI has at least a dozen apartment complexes in Austin, and they range from slightly above average quality to well above average.  I think they are only showing their newer properties on their web page.  I lived in the AMLI at Martha's Vineyard property, and I have a friend who lives in AMLI at Lantana Ridge, and both are nice.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#17]
if 71-hour_Achmed comes down here, we'll have to have a Welcome to Texas Shoot/Party!

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Traffic there sucks, should be no diffrent then Seattle. Lots of high tech jobs there. Lots of things to do. My wife lived there for 10-15 years. Its cheaper then CO. If you live just outside of town its a little better, just have to fight traffic. Good luck on your quest.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#19]
If you want to get a feel for Austin, here's a good article from today's newspaper:
[url]http://www.austin360.com/aas/specialreports/citiesofideas/0512creatives.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
if 71-hour_Achmed comes down here, we'll have to have a Welcome to Texas Shoot/Party!
View Quote

Note to self:  buy kevlar vest. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:24:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Note to self:  buy kevlar vest. [:D]
View Quote

Bring ammo too.  Texans shoot back.  You have to fit in.  ;)

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you want to get a feel for Austin, here's a good article from today's newspaper:
[url]http://www.austin360.com/aas/specialreports/citiesofideas/0512creatives.html[/url]
View Quote

Thanks;  sounds somewhat like the Seattle I moved to seven years ago. [:(]  Sadly, Seattle grew up.  I hope for its sake that Austin doesn't.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#23]
If you can, move to North Dallas instead of austin.  Austin is lacking in the "things to do" department.  I lived there for 6 months and austin seems to be more geared towards college students that people my age (29).  Plus, no pro sports teams of mention in austin.

Some good things about austin, however, include:

-  Closer to good hunting country (dove, deer, turkey, etc.)
-  Smaller (although the traffic is worse due to bad city planning)
-  Prettier (more hills, terrain features)
-  More and better parks

Housing prices in austin are about double what they are in dallas.  You can get a 2500 sq ft new house in dallas for $170k.

In any case, austin has seattle beat hands-down.  Get your concealed carry when you get here...

-allan
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I've lived in Austin all my life.  Here are some things to consider:

[b]Cons:[/b]
Austin has the worst traffic and the worst drivers I've ever seen.  It is not uncommon to go from north Austin to south Austin in an hour and a half without leaving I-35.

Austin is full of liberals and militant homosexuals.  Even the Sheriff is a lesbian.

Housing in Austin is expensive, regardless of whether you're looking for a house or an apartment.

[b]Pros:[/b]
Austin is a diverse, and comprehensive city, with lots of culture and education.  Good jobs can be found in Austin and the town tends toward being a hub for intellectuals.

The natural environment is great.  Rolling hills and clear rivers are abundant in central Texas.

And Austin has all the advantages that Texas offers:  No state income tax, good gun laws, and decent weather (on the warm side).

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I lived in the Austin - San Marcos area for 4 years about a decade ago & it was great.

A lot has changed since then though.

Texas is a great state though so come on down
to Austin, San Antonios , DFW  or Houston.

Lots of college Hotties in Austin & great night life!
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you think racism is a problem in Seattle, you're in for a major eye-opener should you go to Texas.
View Quote

???

FYI, Texas happens to be only 57% non-Hispanic white.  The minorities seem to like it here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I live on SF Peninsula, and work in Silly Valley.  I'd love to live in Austin if Philips had a significant presence there.

Used to work for Motorola, and would go down to Austin for a week every month or month and a half - the facility on William Cannon in south Austin.  [I know where the Lantana Ridge Apts that a previous poster referred to are.]

Austin's a great place, housing is vastly cheaper than SF Bay Area, tech jobs pay anywhere from the same to 30% less.  Housing is 1/4 the price and there's no income tax, so you'd make money by taking even a large pay cut to go there.

Had an offer of a transfer to Austin but turned it down - girlfriend and folks (sick dad) here.
Still kicking myself.

Great gunshops. Great food of all types. Good bookstores. Nice people. Two or three good classical music stations on the radio - in the SF Bay Area, we can barely keep one going, and that's mostly half-assed baroque elevator music. {And they say Texas is redneck country.)

There's a chain of pawnshops around town called Doc Hollidays, as I recall, and many of 'em have 100yd indoor rifle ranges. Great lunch break.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I moved to Austin 6 1/2 years ago, from Vermont.
I and the family have grown quite fond of the
place.  TX is home.
Financially, I think it is a wash.  As others
have mentioned there is no TX income tax, but
the Real Estate and sales taxes are both high.
And insurance for auto and home is easily double
what it used to be.
I can probably count on one hand the number of
times I have gone downtown.  Nothing down there
is of interest to me.  That is where the leftists
congregate, I think.  Up here in Williamson County I do not stick out as a radical right-tilter.
I'd say, find a job, move on down, and give it a
try.  Worst case, you'll be in the state you will
come to love, if not the city.

Hey, all these current Austin members...  And
I've only met Boston and Arock at a shoot.  I need to get
out more.  Or we need to have more local shoots.

DanM
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:09:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I like it here. Been here 2 yrs and have no complaints other than property taxes are high and so is rent. Rents about the same as Seattle(used to live in SeaTac). Come on down. Just be ready for some seriously hot weather this summer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:03:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:04:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Rents are high around here (unless you want to live in a combat zone) but, as I found out far too late, you are a total sucker to pay rent around here. In many cases, you can get a nice house for what rent on a smaller apartment would cost, building equity and making money. I just sold my house (trading up) and have a few co-workers in the same boat. We are all making 20-30% profits on the sale of our houses, after only of few years.

I haven't noted much racism around here. In my experience, things were a lot nastier in the "liberated" and "enlightened" East coast. We also have very low crime rates.

Oh, and lay off bashing the Sheriff of Travis County because she is lesbian. I've met her. She is a nice lady and still has a strong law order bent (I think she'll approve NFA transfers, too).

If you really want the best quality of life, move to the suburbs just north of Austin in Williamson County. Williamson is run by conservatives. They have the lowest taxes in the state, the lowest crimes rates, and housing costs (but not rental units) are cheaper than the rest of the Austin area.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Someone make up a list of the Austin area AR15.com'ers and we'll have to try to get a shoot together.  

I usually go out to Eagle Peak, but shooting off the bench ALL THE TIME gets old.  Hill Country Rifle Range is nice, but damn that guy runnin it is a kooky bastard!  

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I usually go out to Eagle Peak, but shooting off the bench ALL THE TIME gets old.  Hill Country Rifle Range is nice, but damn that guy runnin it is a kooky bastard!  
View Quote

I live in Cedar Park and usually end up driving way south to Red's Indoor range.  Been looking at going further afield, out in the Hill Country. Couple of ranges northwest of Cedar Park, I'm told.

Anyway, as far as moving to the area, avoid Travis county and the City of Austin. Go South or North as you prefer.  Williamson county is growing quickly, and homes have increased in value more than 20% in the last two years, in spite of a nasty recession.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#37]
So is Williamson county

RoundRock,Pflugerville,MarbleFalls,Georgetown etc. ??

What about the south side near Kyle or San Marcos ?

There is defintely plenty of great Tex-Mex & Margaritas!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#38]
And if you hurry, Widespread Panic is at the Backyard for 3 shows in late July.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Oh, and lay off bashing the Sheriff of Travis County because she is lesbian. I've met her. She is a nice lady and still has a strong law order
View Quote

Who's bashing??

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Someone make up a list of the Austin area AR15.com'ers and we'll have to try to get a shoot together.  

View Quote

Ahh yes...Crazy Richard.  Richard has his tin foil hat on a bit too tight.  If you actually take the time to talk to the man, you will find him to be very intelligent and very paranoid.  For those who have not had the pleasure of using the Hill Country Rifle Range facilities be sure to bring CASH because Richard doesn't take plastic or checks.

Darn good facility though, so I put up with Richard.  It's a heck of a lot cheaper then Red's, but the folks at Red's haven't screwed and glued a tin foil hat to their brain housing group either!

I'm going to be out at Hill Country Rifle Range this Sunday if anyone cares to join me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Are any of you guys members of Austin Rifle Club? I live outside of Leander and would Like to get with other AR15.comers. We are presently packing and planning for BRC.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are any of you guys members of Austin Rifle Club? I live outside of Leander and would Like to get with other AR15.comers. We are presently packing and planning for BRC.
View Quote

That's the one that's CMP affiliated, right?  How does one become a member?  (I'm assuming your a member?)  Please tell me what you can. Thanks!
I am not a member, but the highpower and service rifle matches are open to anyone, as are the ones at Temple and Waco. In fact this weekend is the Texas State matches in Waco.
ARC has a website. I think you recruit a couple of members to sponser you. I will find out.
-Gloftoe
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the one that's CMP affiliated, right?  How does one become a member?  (I'm assuming your a member?)  Please tell me what you can. Thanks!
Try austinrifleclub.org and have them send you an application.
-Gloftoe
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh, and lay off bashing the Sheriff of Travis County because she is lesbian. I've met her. She is a nice lady and still has a strong law order bent (I think she'll approve NFA transfers, too).

If you really want the best quality of life, move to the suburbs just north of Austin in Williamson County. Williamson is run by conservatives. They have the lowest taxes in the state, the lowest crimes rates, and housing costs (but not rental units) are cheaper than the rest of the Austin area.
View Quote

I met a guy at the range the other day from Williamson county.  He said that he put in a request for a CLEO signoff at 3pm one day, and got a call at 8:00am the next morning, saying it was ready to go [shock].  He also said that Margo Fraiser (Travis Co. Sheriff) in fact would do a CLEO signoff with minimal fuss.  Here's to hoping! [beer]

-Gloftoe
View Quote

It's true about Sheriff Fraiser. Talked to a fellow at the range who owned an auto MP5 w/ a supressor and she had no problem with it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:14:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I live just north of leander and usually shoot at Eagle Peak.  Very nice folks out there. I tried Hill country once.  The owner was not at his best and I had a real problem turning my back on him.  Never again, though it was a nice facility. I'm also a member of Austin Rifle Club. To join, you must be sponsored by two members and be voted on by the membership. Club meetings are the first thursday of every month at the Luby's on North Loop at 7pm. New members must go through a day long safety course before being allowed range access. You do not have to be a member to shoot in any of the matches, but you will pay an entrance fee (around 15 $) There is a different match every weekend. Garands and ammo are available through the club if you don't have a match rifle of your own.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Can you actually live "on the lake" there? Are there private houses available to buy with a dock, etc.?

I'd love to find something like that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Can you actually live "on the lake" there? Are there private houses available to buy with a dock, etc.?

I'd love to find something like that.
View Quote

The Colorado River is a string of lakes thru central Texas.  The Hill Country Lakes.  Yes you can own shoreline.  My favorites are Inks Lake and lake LBJ (Marble Falls).  Got a friend on Lake LBJ who built a lake house as a replica of the Port Isabel lighthouse tender complete with dock, boathouse and circular main house  raised on stilts.  Some nice places on the lakes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top