Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2002 9:26:49 PM EDT
    I went out shooting today and had to show some of my friend how to bumpfire.  About 10 minutes later an LEO taps me on the shoulder, scaring the $h!T out of me.  With ear plugs in and almost constant gun fire I haden't heard him approach.  He mentioned why he was there (neighbors living 1/2 mile away called in a machine gun) but that "You obviously dont have one so you dont have to worry about anything." (1 preban CAR (mine), Garand, .30 Carbine, Mini 14 (my friends) along with several other bolt actions, semi auto pistols and various .22s).  He than asked to look at my FN Special Police Rifle and I ended up letting him shoot about 20 rds through it.  This guy was a damn good shot.  The targets were gallon jugs, liter and 20oz pop bottles from 100 to 300 meters away and he hit them all.  When he left he had a [:D] on his face and I was out of targets[:(].  
He told me he would go talk to the neighbor and let them know everything was ok.  Turns out he is a bench rest shooter and used to be the county sharpshooter.  

Except for a bad sunburn it was a great day.

SP.

ps.  anyone else ever get interrupted by the police and let them shoot your weapons?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Most cops are just regular guys who do their jobs and are looking to put in their time and retire. There are of course assholes in every profession. I have found the majority of LEO's to be regular guys.

To answer your questions:

Yes and yes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Once by a sheriff deputy , he had never seen a MAK90 up close before , let him burn off a thirty round mag . I love this county I really do .
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
You are lucky he didn't want to confiscate your gun for "evidence" like the one deputy that we had the misfortune of having an encounter with.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...and let them shoot your weapons?
View Quote

Unless you personally know him/her(LEO), putting yourself in that position is like a box of chocolates......
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
This goes to show that not all cops are bad apples out to rain in on your parade. This guy obviously knew about guns.....most that are paranoid and afraid of them aren't gun types. The same can be said for anti's in general. If they understood guns they would see there is nothing to fear! Sounds like a good cop, as most are. There will always be a few butt munches in any profession you want to look at.

I once loaned a local LEO my MAK-90 with a couple of 75 rd drums (and ammo)! He had received some pretty nasty threats on his and his family's lives....thought to be from a scumbag he had once put away. I let him keep it for a couple of weeks until he could afford his own rifle. He took excellent care of it and was greatful that I allowed him to use it. He was really a great guy, just like any of us.

Most cops are caught between a rock and hard place. On one hand, half the people want them to do more. The other wants them to do less. It is really a thankless job when you think about it. I have great respect for these men and women, just as I respect our military personnel. Most are great people. But let's judge them individually based on character....not some impression that these folks are all out to get us!
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:25:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Last weekend i had a  sheriff deputy shoot my M16 with his gemtech attached.  He burned about 4-5 mags through it in about a minute.  The Gemetech was on fire.  We waited about 10 minutes to attempt to take the supressor off, and it was still very hot.  Seems like the Gemtech was almost welded on tight.  Sprayed some clp and waited again.  Finally we got that sucker off.  heheh.

I also saw him burn up a G3 barrel (it is now white) by dumping 20+ mags through it in a few minutes.  All full auto btw.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
    "You obviously dont have one so you dont have to worry about anything."
View Quote

Not to be a 'wise a$$' but how did he determine no MGs? No tripod?

Glad you had a positive experience!
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe he was being glib. Some cops actually know the difference between a machine gun, a sub machine gun and an assault rifle.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Hopefully you contacted the neighbor and made a second new friend.  Enjoy!!
View Quote

Just talked to the neighbor, I was on our land but with a friends car and the neighbor has had problems with poachers and trespassers.  Becasue they did not recognize the car they assumed that someone was trespassing and called the police as a favor to my dad.

I regularly shoot with the guy so everything is cool.  He was just afraid to walk out there when we had a "Machine Gun" (bump fire AR)

SP
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You are lucky he didn't want to confiscate your gun for "evidence" like the one deputy that we had the misfortune of having an encounter with.
View Quote

Did he think your 10/22 was a machinegun? [;)]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Always have to pee in someone else's cornflakes, don't you, Imbroglio?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's easy enough if you get close enough to look at the selector, and watch the shooting for a minute or two just to be sure. M16 class have a third selection to the right for Burst/Auto and AK's have it in the middle (the selector being on the right side on AKs).
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Beats me, Probably watched us for a few minutes.  If any of our weapons had been auto he could have seen it or heard it shoot.  I have no idea how long he was standing there before he made his presence known.  Most people dont distinguish between an Assualt rifle and a machine gun anyway, if it shoots full auto, it is a machine gun.

SP
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Did he think your 10/22 was a machinegun? [;)]
View Quote

No. I was out shooting with them. They have AR15s, a SAP and some other stuff like handguns and shotguns. Mr. deputy has his handgun out, and screams "put your weapons down". Since some of them were wearing hearing protection and shooting at the time and couldn't hear him, he got all pissed off. After he was done yelling at everyone he insisted that he heard "a full auto AK47! 7.62x39! Brrrrrap! Brrrrap!" When he was shown there were no select fire weapons (like he even knew what to look for), AKs or not even a trace of 7.62x39 brass on the ground he left, but came back 10 minutes later saying that he heard full auto fire again and threatened to confiscate guns as evidence. What an asshole.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top