Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2002 8:07:34 PM EDT
I just moved to San Antonio TX last week and am REALLY wanting to go shootin.

In Vegas we could just drive a bit out of town and shoot. Any place here that I can do that and not get into trouble?

Thanks

Rip
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me be among the first to welcome you to Texas, and to say [I]bwahahahahahaha[/I]!!!

There is no such thing as "public land" in Texas.  If you're lucky you can find a National Forest range, like we have near Conroe, but I've never heard of any around San Antonio, and that's where I grew up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know of any public place in SA proper where you can shoot for free. If you don't mind shelling out 7 bucks, I can recommend "The Bullet Hole", just outside Loop 1604 off Highway 90 West.

If you're absolutely dead-set on finding a free place to shoot, best bet is probably a city dump in one of the smaller towns outside the city. Or, befriend someone who has some private land.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Dietz range outside New Braunfels isn't bad.  The only clincher is it's $9 per day.

Weekends usually bring the "one shot every 15 minutes" geezers who frown at the site of an AR or AK, but if you go during the week, you should be able to cut loose downrange.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to San Antonio, I was born and raised here.  Like Texason and Skibane wrote, there are no free ranges here.  If you do happen to find one please let me know.  

There are two more places.  One is called A Place to shoot, which is on the south side off loop 410 and Moursund and the other is called Black Hawk Range which is off Jarrett road.  Unfortunately both I believe charge by gun.

Hey Skibane, I stopped going to bullet hole because it seemed they were always changing their policy on the type of bullets one was shooting.  One week it was ok to shoot full metal jacket, but the next week they wouldn't let me shoot.  There was another incident that made up my mind that I would not be going back there.  

RNYC goes to a place outside of Bandera TX,  that is very friendly.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to Texas.  What part of San Antonio? Try the Bandera Gun Club.  It's inexpensive, usually not crowded except when it gets close to hunting season, and there are no range nazis.  I'll probably go out there this weekend if you want to tag along.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top