Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
five guys is great!!! if you like half decent overpriced burgers that is.

havent tried in-n-out yet....but i dream of the day that i do.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I wish I could have found an In N Out when I was in southern CA (or if I had known about them back then) so I'd know what I was missing.

That said, I'll keep supporting Five Guys as they're likely one of the best burgers around plus they are a chain that started locally here in VA. Plus Cajun Fries.

Thanks to this thread, I'm eating Five Guys right now.

southpark

I love Five Guys in my mouth.

/southpark

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Never had In-N-Out.

Five Guys... way overrated, and expensive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Five Guys will take over In-n-Out, mostly because In-n-Out refuses to expand its territory. Five Guys is going nationwide in a hurry, and there are potential franchisees literally waiting in line to open new stores. Five Guys just can't get the stores built fast enough.

It has nothing at all to do with which burger you like better; it's all about the marketing, and Five Guys is kicking ass and NOT taking names.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
5 Guys was one of the nastiest greazy burgers & fries I have had.

In and Out was decent, but kind of small.

Lots of better burger places around here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up on In-N-Out.
Ordered from the "secret menu" back before there was an internet.
As far as my favorite fast food burger joint went, it was an easy answer- In-N-Out.

But 5 guys has bacon.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

five guys is great!!! if you like half decent overpriced burgers that is.

havent tried in-n-out yet....but i dream of the day that i do.

That's exactly why Five Guys is going to vastly outnumber and outsell In-n-Out very soon - they're building new ones everywhere.

Since 01 March, they have opened new locations in Henderson, NV; DeWitt, NY; Rancho Cucamonga, CA; Canton, MI; Mankato, MN; New York, NY; Mira Loma, CA; Costa Verde, CA, Spokane Valley, WA; Orlando, FL; Boulder, CO; Gainsville, FL (just this past Tuesday!) That's coast-to-coast expansion, folks.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#8]
The fries are fucking nasty and eat the bags.
The burgers are grease, grease and more grease... I have had the burgers eat the foil...

5 grease is not so great.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Five Guys will take over In-n-Out, mostly because In-n-Out refuses to expand its territory. Five Guys is going nationwide in a hurry, and there are potential franchisees literally waiting in line to open new stores. Five Guys just can't get the stores built fast enough.

It has nothing at all to do with which burger you like better; it's all about the marketing, and Five Guys is kicking ass and NOT taking names.

Because In-N-Out doesn't freeze anything, ALL of their restaurants are within a 24 hr truck trip from their commissary in Gardena. (So Cal)  They are currently building a second commissary in Texas. After it is completed they can and will expand farther.

Also, I can't speak for the Five Guys group, but In-N-Out is privately owned with no plans of going public. They fear if they go public they lose control and quality fails. (Look at Baja Fresh after it was sold to Pepsico)
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Because In-N-Out doesn't freeze anything, ALL of their restaurants are within a 24 hr truck trip from their commissary in Gardena. (So Cal)  They are currently building a second commissary in Texas. After it is completed they can and will expand farther.

Also, I can't speak for the Five Guys group, but In-N-Out is privately owned with no plans of going public. They fear if they go public they lose control and quality fails. (Look at Baja Fresh after it was sold to Pepsico)

Five Guys doesn't have freezers either. They get their meat fresh from local suppliers. They do have coolers for produce, though. They've got an excellent business model.

In-N-Out has built their business to be regional. Even expansion into Texas will not let them approach what Five Guys is doing as far as revenue goes.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]
in and out is consistent and five guys - by what the burger eaters of GD say - is very erratic.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Five Guys doesn't have freezers either. They get their meat fresh from local suppliers. They do have coolers for produce, though. They've got an excellent business model.

In-N-Out has built their business to be regional. Even expansion into Texas will not let them approach what Five Guys is doing as far as revenue goes.

Five Guys wont last 2 years in SoCal.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Tried both.  Never been back to a Five Guys.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

in and out is consistent and five guys - by what the burger eaters of GD say - is very erratic.

McDonald's is extraordinarily consistent. I wouldn't hang my hat on "consistency" being a hallmark of anything other than a strict discipline to make one thing the same way over and over and over again.

Readers of this thread may infer that I'm a Five Guys fanboi. Although I marvel at their business model, I'm not a huge fan of their burgers. I agree that I can get bigger, better burgers lots of places, for significantly less money. Still, I do like their burgers, so I'll go to Five Guys about once a month.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Five Guys wont last 2 years in SoCal.

Skateboarding is a fad.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

whataburger makes both those other chains taste like crap

yup

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup

McDonald's hamburgers taste like second-hand dog shit. McDonald's outsells In-N-Out, Five Guys, Whataburger, Carl's, Hardees and every little mom-and-pop burger stand, combined.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup

McDonald's hamburgers taste like second-hand dog shit. McDonald's outsells In-N-Out, Five Guys, Whataburger, Carl's, Hardees and every little mom-and-pop burger stand, combined.

mcdonolds is an experience like an amusement park ride with the dressed up characters and stuff.

in and out is an experience. people gather there like they did in their 50s with the hots rods and motorcycles, etc.

five guys is what? erratic and not really any entertainment value.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#20]
In-N-Out sells great food AT A GREAT PRICE.

I've never been to 5 and guys, but from what I've read here, I have better places to be spending that much on a burger. There's a local place that sells half pound mesquite charcoal grilled burgers for under 5 bucks, so I will keep up the family tradition and eat there when money is burning a hole in my pocket.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I've tried Five Guys twice, decent burger but overpriced.  The first week they opened there were lines out the door, and now it's about 3-5 people deep at most, even at lunch hours.  For the money there are plenty of competition within short distance: Carl's Jr, Fat Burger, In-n-Out, and the ubiquitous McDonald.  I'd rather they half the fry portion and charge half the price; I hate to pay $12 and have to throw away food.

And coincidentally, they opened up yet another high price grub shop, Jersey Mike's, right next door.  The novelty wears off pretty quick, too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow, if In-and-Out is supposed to be worse than Five Guys.... What do they serve?  Possum and crap burgers?

Five Guys sucks... To the point where I wouldn't let my dog eat anything in there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#23]
In N Out is an institution, most particularly in SoCal.  5 Guys will NOT be putting them out of business around here.  The food is of excellent quality and is inexpensive.  I eat there perhaps 3 or 4 times a year on a lark and always thoroughly enjoy the food.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#24]
In-n-Out's not the best burger by any means (IMO it's rare to have a really good burger served by a fast food place), but it is tasty.  Customer service is always great, as well.  The food is fresh which is pretty unusual for a fast food place these days.  They treat their employees right.  And it is hard to get a decent double cheeseburger (especially slathered in toppings animal style with chilies, yum) with fries and a refillable fountain drink for $6 these days as prices go up.  I'll keep going to In-n-Out.  Money is tight anyways, so I don't know why I would want to spend $10 plus on a damn fast food meal anyways.  Might as well go to a sit-down place if you're going to put down that much money.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#25]
FFG......way to much money...I can buy a steak at ruby's for the price of a combo and they are nothing special...In 'n Out  lets go..
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You wait. They'll end up over-expanding and will become Five Broke Guys in bankruptcy court.

Here today, gone tomorrow.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You wait. They'll end up over-expanding and will become Five Broke Guys in bankruptcy court.

Here today, gone tomorrow.

Krispy Kream of burger-world?

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#29]
They both Suck

Burger-ville is good but expensive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Five Guys makes the best burgers around here, but only because we don't have In-N- Out's.....
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#31]
In-and-Out is decent quality for cheap cheap cheap.

Smashburger is tasty grease for a little more $. I'm quitting Smashburger because they get greasier each time I go. We need an In-and-Out over here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A few things to know about In-n-Out, In-n-Out owns all their stores they have no franchises, also In-n-Out only expands when they have the cash. In-n-Out refuses to ever borrow money. Add in the family that owns In-n-Out is very conservative.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#33]
5 guys is too expensive..

For the cost of 5 guys, I can pretty much go sit down at Red Robin.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Went to five guys for lunch today, first time I have ever eaten their. Damn

Maybe I dont get out much, but that was the best burger I have ever had.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#35]
That's funny
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#36]
In-N-Out burger is so good, my wife and I are contemplating a drive from Seattle to Redding for a fix...

I'm sure 5 guys burgers is good, but a triple triple, animal Style is ssssssssssssssssssssoooooooooo fucking tasty.

Plus they fly a Gadsden on their corporate HQ...
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#37]
In n Out Sucks,\.

Smashburger FTMFW
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Comparing 5 Guys to In-N-Out is like comparing a Porsche to a Yugo. Or like comparing In-N-Out to McDonalds or Burger King. They all are ok in my book, but not on the same level.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

A few things to know about In-n-Out, In-n-Out owns all their stores they have no franchises, also In-n-Out only expands when they have the cash. In-n-Out refuses to ever borrow money. Add in the family that owns In-n-Out is very conservative.

...which is why In-N-Out will always be regional, and never nationwide.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

...which is why In-N-Out will always be regional, and never nationwide.

Well they are starting to build In-n-Out's in Texas. Besides years from now In-n-Out will still be around and place like 5 Guys will be a memory, over expanding on borrowed money never works! No wonder Nobama loves 5 guys so much
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Both are good but not that good. I know a few bars in the greater N Illinois area that puts both of them to SHAME.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah.  Whataburger has gone terrificly down hill in the last decade or so.

[...]

+1,000,000.....    I know it has a lot of fans, but I think Whataburger burgers are

I've only tried them since around 2000....  so maybe they were better in decades past.  IMO, White Castle is the same way...  not nearly as good today as they were 20+ years ago.  

In n Out FTW.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Both are good but not that good. I know a few bars in the greater N Illinois area that puts both of them to SHAME.

I make better burgers than ANY restaurant I've ever been to. That doesn't mean I'm going to have nationwide stores. As pointed out above, McDonald's outsells every other hamburger joint on the planet by a wide margin, selling what are arguably terrible hamburgers.

This discussion is not about whether or not Five Guys makes a better hamburger than In-N-Out. It's about whether Five Guys will outsell In-N-Out. That's an inevitability. Whether they can sustain the expansion remains to be seen. What I've seen about their business model makes me believe that they can. In-N-Out is NOT about expansion. If they were, they'd be blowing up all across the nation, in Mexico, Canada and overseas, based on popularity. But, they're not. They have locked the brand into a narrow regional model. Any departure from that model will require a re-definition of the brand.

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I've had some bad burgers at 5 Guys recently.  Why do some of the grill operators feel the need to press the patties while grilling?  It just squeezes all of the juices out of the burgers.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I got a 5 guys burger a couple days ago. Large fries, large drink. 12 bucks. They put a ton of fries in the bag but I still thought 'damn 12 bucks.'
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Hope so. In-n-out sucks!
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In-N-Out isn't all that great in my opinion. They are OK. MY biggest beef with them is that they refuse to stock mayo. I have been to two different restaurants here and neither had or would put it on my burger. It's not like going to a restaurant and asking that they use 'Dillo Dust with my order. Mayo is a pretty damn common condiment. I won't go back. I haven't been to Five Guys.  

I'm with you brother. The wife and I went to an In and Our and asked for mayo. They didn't have it so we turned around and left. They recently opened a Five Guys in St. George UT. I tried it and wasn't impressed. I prefer Red Robin for burgers.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Too expensive for a burger joint. It's good but the cost keep me from eating there but once in a blue moon.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do not know, but we are getting one of the first Five Guys in Ohio.

Theres already a Five Guys in Cincinnati on the south end of the UC campus.  Its about two years old.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top