Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#2]
We are fucking doomed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#3]
:s/bad/dumb

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:06:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy (yet another) boring 2012 prophecy of doom, Batman........

Some of you people spend so long predicting your own fucking miserable demise that you are forgetting to live.  If a big frickin' comet is going to come in with enough force to fuck up your mom's basement then there's not a right lot you can do about it.

So unless you are Bruce Willis and drive a six wheeled combine harvester with a drill, after being deposited on a fancy polystyrene film set from a pretend spaceship that Obama didn't scrap with the nuclear bomb from the set of Goldfinger, then I suggest you step away from the computer and go get laid before you are extinct.

What a load of "Jesus loves you, now buy my silver before we all die" wank.

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A comet freed the Jews?

I suspect they weren't freed; they were ran-off with Akhenaten (Amenhotep IV) who later became known as Moses.  Akhenaten so f-ed up Eqypt with his crazy monotheism, that he was given anything in Egypt he wanted so long as he took his religion and hs followers with him and never come back and never reveal his identity.  

(I should get off my lazy ass and write a book or two.  This would be a book that a lot of people would love to hate and hate to love.)    
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#6]
A few thoughts on the subject…

1. Isaac Asimov wrote a great piece on all the Velikovski nonsense. I don’t know if it’s online anywhere but suffice it to say that Asimov soundly destroys all of Velikovski’s claims.

2. If Elenin was a brown dwarf and not a comet then it would be brighter in the night sky than Jupiter is because it’s closer now and it would have to be more massive. Something of that size simply couldn’t be hidden and even a good pair of binoculars would now reveal its true nature to any amateur astronomer.

3. If it were a brown dwarf then the Earth’s orbit would be severely altered by the approach. Our poles wouldn’t flip, Instead we would be tossed into an elongated orbit and all advanced life on Earth would die.

4. Comets leave trails of debris, larger objects don’t. Gravity on a comet is so low that outgassing (caused by the close approach to the sun) can allow small particles to reach the comet’s escape velocity. This is obviously not something even a moon sized object would do. So, by concerning himself with the debris earth might encounter he demonstrates that it is not a brown dwarf.

5. Tidal forces might, and probably do, have the ability to trigger earthquakes in certain circumstances. But he’s claiming the object did so when it was on the far side of the sun from us and when we were between the sun and the object. He also ignores the effect of Jupiter and the other planets.

6. An object more massive than Jupiter would probably have already altered the orbits of the planets enough to be noticed by amateur astronomers.

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Go pull this shit on the Bad Astronomy forums and see how that goes over.

Make sure you post a link so we can see how completely they pull you apart.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I give up.

Shit man; don't give up.  Hang in there.  There might be a religion named after you some day.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I predict that at some time in our lifetime, or our children's lifetime, or possibly their children's lifetime, a tragic event of some kind will occur. I specifically forsee that this event will definately occur either as a result of the acts of men or as a result of a natural event. You will recognise it when it happens because it will be widely reported and the world will share in the sorrow of those who suffer its effects, before forgetting about them when the new season of the current popular reality TV show begins.

Feel free to worship me as a prophet once the prophecy comes true.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Really?
Really?

My qualifications as an astrophysicist far exceed Velikovsky's, and most of what you have posted (not even getting into the actual science elements) is complete hogwash.

And a few hints:
Propulsion.
The Voyager program had nothing to do with Venus. The 15 seconds it would have taken you to google "Venus exploration" would have shown you that it was Mariner and Pioneer.
As well as the dozens of other successful missions, from at least four space agencies.

Oh, and first recorded observations are around 1600 BC, and are found in Babylonian, Sumerian, and Chinese sources.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Troy? Is that you?

Ex-coworker of mine sold all his stuff and moved to "shield bedrock" in Minnesota back in '03 (I think it was) because of the Planet X/Nibiru/Zetatalk/Sitchin stuff. Surprisingly enough, we all survived that one as well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Dear OP:

If you read these responses, you will learn one thing.   That is, when you say something that makes people afraid or uncomfortable, they will retaliate by demeaning you or otherwise attacking you.  It's a basic human defense mechanism.    I believe you are sincere in what you have posted and that you believe it.

You may be correct or time may prove you to be in error.

Let me share with you some profound words of wisdom that I live by:

"If it ain't one thang......it's a motherfuckin' nother"
                                                "Words to mah granny and my daddy and mah mother"
                                                 Snoop Dogg
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Really?
Really?

My qualifications as an astrophysicist far exceed Velikovsky's, and most of what you have posted (not even getting into the actual science elements) is complete hogwash.

And a few hints:
Propulsion.
The Voyager program had nothing to do with Venus. The 15 seconds it would have taken you to google "Venus exploration" would have shown you that it was Mariner and Pioneer.
As well as the dozens of other successful missions, from at least four space agencies.

Oh, and first recorded observations are around 1600 BC, and are found in Babylonian, Sumerian, and Chinese sources.

Toiyabe - owns the OP.

Lulz
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#14]
give him a break , he works in anuke plant so may be he needs lead instead of tinfoil hat. Also , what should we do about this?  buy ammo and MRE's and dig a bunker?  i think most of us already have that in the works.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Can't argue with stupid.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Stop bragging about your night watchman job at the nuke plant.  At least it allows you to get out of moms basement on a regular basis.  Just make sure you take the tinfoil hat off befor going out in public.  Now, back to my American idol!!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Some of you people spend so long predicting your own fucking miserable demise that you are forgetting to live.  If a big frickin' comet is going to come in with enough force to fuck up your mom's basement then there's not a right lot you can do about it.

So unless you are Bruce Willis and drive a six wheeled combine harvester with a drill, after being deposited on a fancy polystyrene film set from a pretend spaceship that Obama didn't scrap with the nuclear bomb from the set of Goldfinger, then I suggest you step away from the computer and go get laid before you are extinct.

Thats what i dont get.. Is buying silver going to save you from the world exploding?
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#18]
1.  There are plenty of accounts of the planet Venus more than 2500 years ago.  Babelonians, Egyptians, Persians, Greeks, etc. all discussed the morning star/evening star, though some cultures thought they were seperate bodies.

2.  The biggest cometary nuclei ever observed might be as big as 100km in diameter, even when young (and they continually lose mass over time).  Venus is over 12,000km in diameter.  Your hypothesis demands that a comet two orders of magnitude above anything observed (probably more since cometary nucleii are less dense than planets) in human history waltzed into our solar system in the time of recorded history and managed to get snagged by the sun's gravity and immediately fall into a nearly perfect circular orbit while causing no disruptions here worse than a few frogs falling from the sky and some plagues.  Then there's the topic of mass... halley's comet (admittedly not a huge comet, but not tiny either) has an approx mass of 2.2x10^14kg, while Venus has a planetary mass of 4.87x10^24.   A cometary nucleus that big would have a coma that engulfed at least several planetary orbits (hell, maybe the entire solar system) and a hydrogen envelope that would be as large as the solar system or larger. The magnetic/gravitational implications of a cometary mass of that magnitude would be far beyond a few catastrophic events here.

In short, your hypothesis is doomed from the get-go.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow. Just...wow.

If this is what passes for a scientific hypothesis now, we are fucked, and a comet is the least of our worries.

And it's "crowd".
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
derp.  

herp.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats what i dont get.. Is buying silver going to save you from the world exploding?

Trade for tinfoil?
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno.   If silver was going to save our lives in this massive event then surely the Speshil Scientist in the video would be hoarding silver instead of trying to sell it......

Unless of course the comet is made of werewolves...... maybe that's it.  The comet is made of werewolves and you need silver to mould bullets out of so that you can kill werewolves.

Oh shit, weeza gonna die at the hands of comet dwelling werewolves.

The mayan prophecy has been decoded and we now know the truth.

Quick Everybody Panic.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Whoever convinced the youtube seers that Elenin is a brown dwarf should be drawn and quartered.  Those poor fools are confusing it with Tyche, which will wipe the planet clean so that the Pleadians can reseed the planet with enlightened beings.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#24]
E.L.E.?

Man, I love me some Busta Rhymes, too!  
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can't believe some of you guys are buying into this 2012 bull shit.

Hey, the Mayan calendar ENDS in 2012...just like ours does every December 31st.  Therefore it HAS to be a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#26]
An overflowing crock of shit it is.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#27]
You can't argue with cranks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Peak life!
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So he says Venus is a comet that was captured about 2500 years ago?

Venus' orbit is too nearly circular for it to have been captured so recently.

The orbit of Venus is the most circular in the entire Solar System.[/qu
from THIS SITE.

The shape of it's orbit is totally irrelivant. Never mind. A little too deep for the present night croud apparently.

The shape of its orbit is not irrelevant. Had Venus been "captured" to become part of our solar system, as you propose, its orbit would be a radical ellipse - not circular. Such an orbit would have been so radical, It would have most certainly crossed the orbits of practically every other planet in our system - likely impacting one of them in short order!

I assure you: Venus is a planetary body which formed as did our other planets: over eons. What this guy is saying is simply preposterous.

And your credentials as an astrophysicist are.....?

I suggest you too spend a year (or whatever) reading his books before you cast aside Immanuel Velikovski's works.

Your comments are also irrelivant. I suppose you feel the video clip is bullshit?
Your thoughts on the fact that JPL is tracking this thing and all freeze dried food is going away, somewhere..........Have you heard any mention of this Elina on MSM news.
If so read "Ages in Chaos" or some other books about celestial mechanics.

Fuck me. Go camping the week of Nov. 1st and let me know how that works out for you.

I hope I'm wrong.

You should keep an open mind, but not so open as to let your brain leak out...

He opened to wide.

His brain is GONE.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I expected better than this from the SF.
I was debating whether to post here or GD..........Looks like I'm getting the flouridated basement croud so far..........

Maybe more intelligent discourse tomorrow when the old farts are active.

No.  Really.

I'm as serious as the next SF'er when it comes to preparedness and helping others who are honestly concerned about their capability for survival when the SHTF in whatever way that may happen.  I've been in to preparedness as a hobby for many years now and feel my experience has a lot to offer.

That being said, you simply can't cure stupid.  

ETA:  THANK YOU mods for moving this to GD where it belongs

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, the Mayan calendar ENDS in 2012...just like ours does every December 31st.  Therefore it HAS to be a big deal.

Actually, the world will end on December 31st, 2030.

How do I know this, you ask?

Because the Samsung people built a marvelous device which I happen to possess.  This amazing wonder allows me to talk to other people who are far away from me, and includes a calender on it that is completely and totally accurate.  I do not understand the mysteries of the manufacture of this device, but I do know this––-when I go to the calender and check it, it only goes to December 31st, 2030.  Seeing as the Samsung people, having crafted such a marvel, are obviously more informed than I am, I can only conclude that the world will end at that time, as why else would the calender not continue?  (They're so darn clever they even know it will be on a Tuesday!!!)
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno.   If silver was going to save our lives in this massive event then surely the Speshil Scientist in the video would be hoarding silver instead of trying to sell it......

Unless of course the comet is made of werewolves...... maybe that's it.  The comet is made of werewolves and you need silver to mould bullets out of so that you can kill werewolves.

Quick Everybody Panic.

Agent Funky, every time you make me laugh so hard my office mates have to come by and check on me it adds another beer on to the tally I owe you if I am ever in the same room with you...
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the Samsung people built a marvelous device which I happen to possess.  This amazing wonder allows me to talk to other people who are far away from me, and includes a calender on it that is completely and totally accurate.  I do not understand the mysteries of the manufacture of this device, but I do know this––-when I go to the calender and check it, it only goes to December 31st, 2030.  Seeing as the Samsung people, having crafted such a marvel, are obviously more informed than I am, I can only conclude that the world will end at that time, as why else would the calender not continue?  (They're so darn clever they even know it will be on a Tuesday!!!)

Korean calendar, Mayan calendar.... hmmmm
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Korean calendar, Mayan calendar.... hmmmm

Split the difference, I say.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quick Everybody Panic.

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Werewolves. I fucking KNEW it.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Don't comets orbit the sun as well? My knowledge of astronomy may be lacking, but I didn't think they went flying around randomly in space. I don't see how it could have "became" Venus.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Werewolves. I fucking KNEW it.  

Shit's real yo.

What calibre for comet dwelling interstellar werewolves?

I'm guessing that with silver having a lower mass than conventional lead and copper projectiles we will see a bullet with a similar dimension to a 77gn SMK for a return mass of 62gn (or thereabouts)

I'm going to work on a starting load of 24.5gn Vhit N140 as a compressed load.

Wy wife is going to shit kittens when she comes home and finds me smelting down the family silverware, but she's going to have to suck it up....

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quick Everybody Panic.

Agent Funky, every time you make me laugh so hard my office mates have to come by and check on me it adds another beer on to the tally I owe you if I am ever in the same room with you...

That would be a good night on the ale
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Oh man, at first I thought the OP was merely joking to incite laughter at the absurdity of the claims.

But then, I saw the follow-up posts. Good God, man, are you trying to get people to violate the CoC to proclaim how absurd your statements and logic are?

If Elenin was indeed a brown dwarf, the amount of infrared heat displaced by an object of that mass would be so gigantic, that every single astronomer with access to an IR telescope would of stated that it was, indeed a brown dwarf.

With any amount of research, you'd know that Elenin is about 10km in size, and has a very elongated orbit. They happen rather often, you know.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#42]

You had me at "Nibiru".

Quoted:
Are you talking about  this:

Asteroid YU55

That one's passage is Nov. 8, 2011 –– election day!!1!!one!

Quoted:Seeing as the Samsung people, having crafted such a marvel, are obviously more informed than I am, I can only conclude that the world will end at that time, as why else would the calender not continue?  (They're so darn clever they even know it will be on a Tuesdae!!!)

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Sometimes, some people should just consider chocking themselves before they try and peddle some crock of shit like this.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Gotta go. I might be able to make time to look this thread over before work this evening.
Right now I have a 2 1/2 hour drive, get some sleep, be alert on Turbine deck for 12 hours. Major rotor replacement on a 1200 megawatt turbine. 3 Low pressure rotors and one High pressure rotor. Cool stuff.

Protip: Noone gives a shit

Venus tablet of Ammisaduqa , dated 1581BC
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#45]
JW_777 already locked this stupid piece of shit once today.

OP, how many times do you have to get torn a new asshole before you realize you're out of your league?
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#46]
That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane -

Lenny Bruce is not afraid.  Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn -

world serves its own needs, regardless of your own needs.  Feed it up a knock,

speed, grunt no, strength no.  Ladder structure clatter with fear of height,

down height.  Wire in a fire, represent the seven games in a government for

hire and a combat site.  Left her, wasn't coming in a hurry with the furies

breathing down your neck.  Team by team reporters baffled, trump, tethered

crop.  Look at that low plane!  Fine then.  Uh oh, overflow, population,

common group, but it'll do.  Save yourself, serve yourself.  World serves its

own needs, listen to your heart bleed.  Tell me with the rapture and the

reverent in the right - right.  You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright

light, feeling pretty psyched.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Jesus Christ in high heals, you gotta be kidding me that this guy (the OP)  is working on a nuclear reactor.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#48]
From west of the rockies on the wild card line
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#49]
So is this thread directly related to EastTexan's eating 5 Fiber one bars thread?  I just want to know who to blame for the world ending.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top