Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2002 5:04:25 AM EDT
Got a whopping 1.5% raise for my annual review yesterday. That translates to an additional .03 cents per payday. I am thankful that I am at least employed, but why even bother with the paperwork for a lousy 1.5% increase.

I have never gotten reviews before in my previous employers. I have always been in a sales type or production type position. The better the money I make for the co. the better I'm viewed as an employee. Now I get gigged on my time coming in, number of calls I take, and how I interact with people. Can you believe they told me I am abrassive and too outspoken. I can't wait till I find another job.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:07:11 AM EDT
[#1]
i hope that didn't bump you up into a higher tax bracket!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, at this rate, it would take at least 30yrs to get me to the next bracket.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Got a whopping 1.5% raise for my annual review yesterday. That translates to an additional .03 cents per payday. I am thankful that I am at least employed, but why even bother with the paperwork for a lousy 1.5% increase.

I have never gotten reviews before in my previous employers. I have always been in a sales type or production type position. The better the money I make for the co. the better I'm viewed as an employee. Now I get gigged on my time coming in, number of calls I take, and how I interact with people. Can you believe they told me I am abrassive and too outspoken. I can't wait till I find another job.
View Quote

Welcome to the world of Phonesupport! whether it be techsupport for a technology company or customer support for mattel toys its all the same. idiot fools call in and whine about their problems with your service. and u have ot be nice to them, even if its the guy who stole your best GF and you wanna WRING HIS NECK!(not a personal experenice of mine but a friend)
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can you believe they told me I am abrassive and too outspoken.
View Quote

Doomed if you do, doomed if you don't. I was once told I was too friendly with customers and shouldn't joke around with them, thus wasting too much time. Then again, I was working in a travel agency in Nuremberg, Germany at that time, go figure.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:34:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I could joke around and chat the customer up on my phot support job, cable modem service provider. as long as the PC was doing somthing and we couldnt do much with it (I.E Add new hardware wizard running, Rebooting, ect.)
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:36:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#8]
At least you got a raise.  The company I work for is not giving any sort of merit increases this year.  They've even cut off the free coffee, cut off our $25 long distance benefit, and increased our health insurance (for less insurance).  Luckily I keep getting skipped for layoffs (about 5 in just over a year), which give me ulcers worrying about it (which probably aren't covered in our new health insurance).  Not to mention our stock is down near $1 now, which means our stock options are worthless.

***RANT OFF***
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:43:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Annual review and a raise? What's that?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:44:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I fucked up big time taking this job. I was in such a rush to leave CA that I took a 33% pay cut to come here to TX and take on this job. Not only to do I miss CA for it beaches, lifestyle, and weather. I miss my old income as well.

We got an increase in health insurance as well. 35% increase. We don't even have vision.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:49:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At least you got a raise.  The company I work for is not giving any sort of merit increases this year.  They've even cut off the free coffee, cut off our $25 long distance benefit, and increased our health insurance (for less insurance).  Luckily I keep getting skipped for layoffs (about 5 in just over a year), which give me ulcers worrying about it (which probably aren't covered in our new health insurance).  Not to mention our stock is down near $1 now, which means our stock options are worthless.

***RANT OFF***
View Quote

But at least the layoffs have made it easier to get a good parking space. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:54:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#13]
try working for the state university system of georgia. we routinely get 1.5 to 3%. that's the good years. bad years we get 0. if they really feel like calling us stupid to our faces, they shift the raise date back 3 months, so it's really only 3/4 of what they call it.

to add insult to injury, the people at the top routinely get written up by the media because they give themselves fat raises, even in lean years, and the public percieves that we're overpaid. HA!

as far as jobs go, it's secure employment. that's about it until/if you reach the upper echelons.

the golden rule applies, them what has the gold makes the rules.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey Lordtrader,  If you got a 1.5% increase, and that gives you a net gain of 3 cents per day then you're increase works out to $7.80 per year (.03*5days*52weeks).  This translates into a new net salary of $520 per year ($7.80/.015).  I think your math is wrong, or you really do need to find another job.  Or is the cost of living really that low in Texas?.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey Lordtrader,  If you got a 1.5% increase, and that gives you a net gain of 3 cents per day then you're increase works out to $7.80 per year (.03*5days*52weeks).  This translates into a new net salary of $520 per year ($7.80/.015).  I think your math is wrong, or you really do need to find another job.  Or is the cost of living really that low in Texas?.
View Quote

Well maybe the .03 per payday was a bit off. But the increase is around $400 a year. By the time taxes eat that up, its almost nothing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#16]
If it will maek you feel better, my raise (they like to call it 'increase' - they have a different word for every normal workplace concept) this year was .064%.  Not 6.4%, .064%.
Or .00064.

Lucky I earned a '4' or '5' out of 5 in every category.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I know how you feel bro... I finally got a job, but the &&&& sucks (although I really like the job so far).
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn LT,
Them office politics are something huh?
I give my guys at least a dollar per hour and sometimes two if they have a good attitude and are making me good money.
Anything less on a check is an insult and would do more harm than good.
If there is a situation that a good guy is maxed out a nice "I appreciate your work and I'd like to thank you for working for me" along with a perk or two really goes a long way. It's amazing that some people have not figured that out yet.
Incidently I start my apprentices at $14 per hour and max out at $24 with benifits and I'm having a hard time getting good drug free help that can pass a back ground check. So if you ever need a job and if plumbing,electrical work and moving to the Bay Area are not beneith you give me a call.
Good luck and give them hell.
Andy
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#19]
LT,

Whatever happened to McLean VA interview?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: At least you got a raise.  The company I work for is not giving any sort of merit increases this year.  They've even cut off the free coffee, cut off our $25 long distance benefit, and increased our health insurance (for less insurance).  Luckily I keep getting skipped for layoffs (about 5 in just over a year), which give me ulcers worrying about it (which probably aren't covered in our new health insurance).  Not to mention our stock is down near $1 now, which means our stock options are worthless.

***RANT OFF***
View Quote

Worldcom?

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Worldcom?

View Quote

Same boat or news just travel that fast?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Got a whopping 1.5% raise for my annual review yesterday.
View Quote

I got a phenomenal 1% raise... just barely under the CPI increase.

In essence, I LOST money for next year's COLA! [BD]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LT,

Whatever happened to McLean VA interview?
View Quote

Get this...according to my recruiter, the bastards hired someone local with less experience and cheaper money. Then I saw the posting for the same job on Monster last night. Guess the guy they hired decided not to take it, did not work out for him/her, or my recruiter lied to me.

I also interviewed in Seattle. At least that firm had the balls to call me and tell me why they decided not to hire my silly ass.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

***RANT OFF***
View Quote

Worldcom?

View Quote

I used to work for that outfit too. The $25 phone credit helped while it lasted. I have watched as my MCI/Worldcom retirement stock took a death spiral going down to $1. I understand that the suppliers are now demanding collateral. Some people are predicting that they will go under in a year or two. MCI/Worldcom is the corporate equivalent of a private person overextended with credit card debt. The mgmt used to feed us BS of how well they were doing financially and how they are maximizing stockholder's return on equity at their quarterly meetings etc, a bunch of corp. smoke & mirrors.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll pay you $20 a week to mow my lawn.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#26]
ah.. raises... the good ole days..

we used to get merit raises every 6 months..
some A-hole got fired for somereason and the sheep felt like we needed Union repersentation...  bad Idea now we ALL get ONE (1) [ un ] raise a [b]YEAR[/b].. and then only if youve kissed a$$ thru out the year,,

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I know the feeling. My company announced that I was receiving a 10% raise because I'm so good at what I do for them...yadda, yadda...

Turns out 3 months later the whole thing was a ploy to keep me and they can't afford it.

I'm still looking for a new job. But, like many...I'm happy to be employed at this point in time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll give you $30 a week to mow my lawn and clean my pool.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#30]
I haven't had a raise in years.  I work for a government subcontractor, so COLA is built into the contract.  Every year they decide that were not paying a high enough percentage of our insurance and raise the cost to cover the COLA, and then some.  I've lost money every year for the last four years.  Then these a$$holes decide that their going to re-evaluate the pay scale entirely and change the pay for the same job in different areas of the same plant.

I'm happy to have a job in the current economy, but their is end to how far corporate america will go to screw the working class.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll give you $30 a week to mow my lawn and clean my pool.
View Quote

I'll take it!.....If you guys pay my moving expense.

Raise?.....What raise?....At time like this, I wish that I can hold on to the job with dear life!

LT, what a bummer....I wish that you can make it to VA....Remember, my offer still stand for you! Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I got 4.4 %!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#36]
they take the time to process your paperwork to give you a measely insulting 400 dollar raise because it's the thought that counts. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worldcom?

View Quote

View Quote

No, just have some friends in the boat with you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I was way underpayed so this year i got 20% sure beats 5% from last year
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn Lordtrader, that sucks. Keep your head up man, things will work out. Sooner or later.

I know it sucks taking a cut in pay to move from the PRK, but I for one salute you for sacrificing certain things to move to another state because of the gun laws there. Unfortunetaly there aren't many who are willing to do that.

Hat's off to you bro!

And good luck. Hope things go your way soon!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worldcom?

View Quote

View Quote

No, just have some friends in the boat with you.
View Quote

I just about srayed iced tea on my computer when I read this one! I used to work for MCI as a field engineer, and it wasn't bad. Then in 1997, the Worldcom deal was announced, and layoffs were rumored. I had lined up another (much better paying) job with AT&T so I volunteered for the layoff. Much to my suprise, they accepted!!!! I got a nice fat severence package, and was making $25k a year more at the new job right away.
I've had raises from 6% (this year) to 15% each year. Probably won't be as good next year though unless the market turns around.
Sometimes it's good to have lucky timing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Raise??  Oh.  Right.  That's something you might get if you ACTUALLY HAVE A JOB.

My 14th monthiversary of being a bum is tomorrow.  Woohoo.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, at this rate, it would take at least 30yrs to get me to the next bracket.
View Quote

Good news! The bracket will have moved by then. [;)]

Quoted:
View Quote

Keep up the good no-work. [:D] Perhaps devoting yourself to trading options is the way to go?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been topped out at my workplace for abut five years now. So they tell me they are going to reclassify me so that I won't be on tops, and in line for a raise. Greatnews, so they give me my performance review and sure thing a recommendation for a small 4%raise. Just one problem, no funding. don't know when, better luck next year.....fullclip

edit to add...Lawnmowing=beer money!!!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Keep up the good no-work. [:D] Perhaps devoting yourself to trading options is the way to go?
View Quote

It's all that's keeping me going so far!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I say keep it up! Been trading since '90 with a few brief exceptions...
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Mechandy -
 Tell me more!  I've been trying to find a decent gig for a while now.  I don't much care for plumbing, but I'm a decent hand at electrical.  I also spent three years in maintenance at Adobe, and am currently living in San Jose...

FreeFireZone
[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
LT, what part of Cali you from? I moved from the Redondo/Hermosa Beach area 5 years ago, don't miss anything about Cali, except when it is 110 degrees here in summer, then I kinda wish it would be 75 like it is everyday in the South Bay.
View Quote

I grew up in the Bay Area. S.F. Then I was stationed on MCAS El Toro. I stayed after I got out in Orange County. Lake Forest to be specific until I came to Dallas last year.

Quoted:
No raise for us last year...no raise for us this year, and no raise next year. Enjoy your 1.5%. It is more than I will be seeing for a while. [>Q]
View Quote

Like someone already mentioned, it would have been best to not have an increase since it netted almost 0 anyways. Kinda like leaving a waitress/waiter a penny for a tip. All you do is piss em off. The review they gave basically said that I know my shit but I can't keep my mouth shut and the company do not like it.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#48]
You can allways move here to okla,take another 33% cut and be around all the son-a-beaches you would ever want to meet!  

Bob  [8D]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Woo hoo!

Well, I guess I am the only one with good news. I just got an evaluation and I got me a 30% raise, effective this pay period!

I am not sure how much this turns out to be though. What is 30% of $0 anyway?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm afraid for you, you're back where ya started.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top