Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2002 11:49:57 PM EDT
Is it easy to rationalize the purchase of an aftermarket synthetic stock for a Remington 700 or Model Seven?  I've got several rifles with wood, and I'd like to get some "field experience" feedback that relates to problems directly associated with the stocks.  I'm not aware of any really atrocious reports about the Remington wwod in the same way I am of Savage original stocks.  Let me know what you think.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Using synthetic keeps you wood stocks "new"
Wood can swell in wet climates(rain)
Synthetics are impervious to climate changes
Synthetics are stronger too
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I have heard this before, and am aware of the environmental advantages of synthetic vs. wood.  I'm really most interested in hearing specifics about Remington stocks.
Thanks for getting back so quickly.  I need all the advice and insight I can get.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#3]
the wood (remington) stocks APPEAR to be polyurethane(sp) coated from the factory.
VERY though finish. will resist water pretty well but not as good as synthetics.They(wood)
will do fine in the field.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The factory Remington stocks are rather soft and have a slightly 'rubbery' feel to them. They are not properly bedded or fitted to the actions they are installed on and really do not allow the Remington action to perform like it should if bedded and inletted in a stock by McMillan or Brown. JarheadGunner.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  I'll keep your advice in mind. . .
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC all Rem 700 synthetic stocks are H.S. Precision, which means it has an aluminum bedding block and frame that runs the length of the stock. It does not need to be glassed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top