Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2002 10:32:33 PM EDT
For the past two days at my job I have been attending classes at work, held by contractors.

Today, I deceided to wear my AR15.com shirt to work. As it happens I got into a discussion with one of the contractors (He is from West Virginia).

A very nice guy. His father collects M1 Garands, has about 30 or so I believe. Well just a short time ago he had a mishap with one. It exploded causing permanent loss of vision in his right eye.

I believe the cause was due to the cartridge case being partially full. I forget the correct term. Basically, a large surface area of the powder is exposed to the flash from the primer and rather than burning from one end to the other, the powder is ignited almost all at once causing a rapid and catastrophic increase in pressure.

Anyway, he said his father is in a good mood and I told him to wish him well.

I told him to tell his father about the board and to drop by and visit. He said it would help his father and he would enjoy the site.

(Welcome him when he visits, I know you will but just had to say it [:D])
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:45:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
This is why you always wear EYE PROTECTION!!
c-rock
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe the cause was due to the cartridge case being partially full. I forget the correct term. Basically, a large surface area of the powder is exposed to the flash from the primer and rather than burning from one end to the other, the powder is ignited almost all at once causing a rapid and catastrophic increase in pressure.
View Quote

I've heard that called a "detonation" or a "pressure excursion".
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've heard that called a "detonation" or a "pressure excursion".
View Quote

Yeah, I was trying to remember what it was called.

C-rock,
I don't know if he was wearing eye protection or not but that is a good reminder to those who don't.

His eye is not functional but will remain for cosmetic purposes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top