Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2002 5:39:38 PM EDT
Iowa Farmer Mauled To Death By Cow

Monday May 13, 2002 7:50 PM

VINTON, Iowa (AP) - A farmer was mauled to death by a cow while trying to rescue the animal's newborn calf from the mud.

Bruce Schulte, 50, of rural Norway died Saturday, shortly after calling his mother on his cell phone, Sheriff Kenneth Popenhagen said.

Schulte had tried to move the calf out of some mud it was lying in. The cow charged him, kicking and mauling him, the sheriff said.

Dr. John Schiltz, state veterinarian, said cows can be very protective of their offspring, but it is unusual for one to turn on a farmer.

The sheriff would not say what happened to the cow and calf.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Hamburger, Steak & Veal!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
thats why i keep an AK in my truck. that blank stare they give you when you drive by is disturbing, now i know what thier really thinking.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Killer Cows from Iowa [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/cow.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/madcow.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Please!  Anyone who works around animals knows that you have to be careful when working with a momma and her baby.  I don't care how long you've had that animal - if she hears her baby scream for help, she WILL.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I've certainly been forced to crawl over the fence on more than one occasion by a protective cow.  My brother and I were always taught to keep the calf between the cow and us when we were doctoring them that first time, and every time.  That way if the cow charges, you can see when she does it and can get the hell out of the way.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can't imagine a cow being that aggressive.
View Quote

Really?  Well the reason those ole cowboys carried pistols was to shoot the damn cows that attacked them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
All your cow/calf pairs are belong to us!  Make your time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]
[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/cowdance.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Man...and I spent the last four days on a dairy in New Mexico.

Ya they looked at me a little funny, but I didn't think that they wanted to kill me.

I love cows, they are delicious.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#11]
This is why we need a "cattle season" to keep these dangerous predatory animals in check.

Now there is some hunting I could get into.

"MOOOOO!......BANG!" Free steaks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#12]
That was a NINJA cow. Sometimes they flip out and kill people.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess he didnt have time to *ahem*
mooooooooove out of the way?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#14]
After living near Norway IA for a period of time- I'll tell you that those are'nt dairy cows that they are talking about. Them cows live outside 24/7 365 and have very little human contact. You go out there only on a tractor to put a new round bale in the feed ring- to dismount is to die. I have alot of healthy respect for them pasture critters.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#15]
In the valley of the forest where I go shooting, it's nothing but cattle ranches. Most of them just star at you while you're hicking to the shooting area, then scatter when they hear gun shots. But this one ranch, whose name i will not mention (you probbably eat chicken from it if you live in CA), likes to keep an unneutered bull hanging around... real mean sob... thank god for barbed wire and cattle gates.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Cattle that are treated gentle become very Gentle themselves, especially towards those who feed them. When a rancher is handling a calf the cow stays very close and is very concerned but does not attack. They are much more defensive around strangers and will not hesitate to attack a dog if it comes too close.

When cattle have been out on the range for months and out of human contact they associate humans with food. Or that is the way it is here in the north country where cattle have to be fed and watered in the winter.

When you stop your vehicle in a cow pasture and the cattle start running towards you they think you have feed pellets for them.

The cow that killed the man in Iowa has probably been a problem animal for sometime and should have taken to the sale-barn awhile ago.

I draw my limited bovine experience from working on my uncles ranch in eastern Montana.

Be nice to your bovine and your bovine will be nice to you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m waiting for the inevitable thread asking what caliber is adequate to put down a charging cow.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Senator Schumer today introduced legislation requiring all Cows; Beef, Dairy or otherwise to be registered. "Too many of our hard working farmers are killed everyday by Cows" said Schumer. Further, he said if someone possess more then two (2) cows, they need will to apply for a "herding" license to prevent stampedes. Prospective buyers of cows must submit to background check and be fingerprinted...

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I guess he didnt have time to *ahem*
mooooooooove out of the way?
View Quote

That was 'udderly' ridiculous...
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Probably a Charolais.  Darn those white cows.  Extremely unpredictable.

Sorry... something of a cow bigot.  Quite partial to the attitude of Red Angus. [:)]

But I guess even the cows have their 10%...

Viper Out
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’m waiting for the inevitable thread asking what caliber is adequate to put down a charging cow.
View Quote

I figure .308 would do it...  Unless it was that [b]Ninja Cow[/b] that Headless_T_Gunner was talking about, in which case your best bet would be a .50 cal, and try to keep at least 1000 yds away from that sows real ultimate power!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top