Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2001 8:58:34 AM EDT
While talking to a friend today who went from a city police job to a county deputy job, he stated that he had just been issued his duty trunk rifle, a (wait for it) SKS!!! I can't believe that, especially since he is taking the place of one of two officers who where killed in the line of duty during a shoot out where it took over 30 shots to down a man who had a single action 44 mag in a no knock raid. The victim of the raid got both officers coming through the door and a third deputy popped him from outside.  If I was the new deputy I think I would be coughing up my own $$ to carry a quality firearm. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the SKS has it's place but I don't think it is in a patrol car.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I just posted the thread and instantly it is on page 5!!

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Ada county?
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have read before that skss were being used as issue rifles
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#4]
That might be bad, but not as bad as if they had a Makarov for as a duty pistol!
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#5]
russia, east germany, china and couple others have issued the makarov pistol to there military and police for a couple decades -- its a GREAT gun

as for the SKS it isnt the best gun for the job, but its not the worst either, when it comes down to it -- is better than nothing
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Does it have a folding bayonet?
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Hold a second, while I put on my Nomex suit.

Is this such a bad thing? A gun that get's put in the trunk, usually doesn't get much care and is subject to all sort's of gunk. I may not agree with the SKS, but an AK (SAR-1 or 2) would be my choice. It's cheap, not as cheap as an SKS, but very inexpensive. One thing about them is, you can neglect them and they will alway's go, BANG, when needed. This could be the thinking behind the SKS.

Link Posted: 3/27/2001 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#8]
If they didn`t want to go the expense of ar- a mini14 or mini30 would be a more logical choice.....[sniper]
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The SKS wouldn't be my first choice, but it's certainly a decent rifle for the money.  There are some situations where a rifle is much more appropriate than a handful of magazines and a sidearm.  On the down side, I suspect that price was a significant factor in selecting the SKS.  As such, I suspect there will be little or no training with respect to the specific problems that the SKS can have.  For example, how inadequate cleaning can result in the firing pin sticking in the forward position and firing the whole magazine upon dropping the bolt on a fresh magazine.  Not a frequent problem, but I've seen it happen more than once at a range.  Also, the pump shotgun is in common use because they can be neglected for quite a while and pulled into use with absolute confidence.  I don't think the SKS would be anywhere near as reliable when neglected for some time.  As much as AR's are nice rifles, I think the Mini-14/30 is really more appropriate for police work, with the AK being a slightly cheaper, but just as reliable alternative.  But then, what do I know, I sit in front of a computer all day. =)
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly, how can anyone justify a modern u.s. leo actually approving of using a foriegn mfg type of weapon, from technology dating back to the 40`s, as a standard issue duty weapon? c`mon, if you think that is correct, then something is seriously wrong!!! a lot of us on this site are better armed!!!!! if you HAVE TO use that type of rifle, go with some upgrades like ak`s or sar`s, but NOT SKS....GET REAL......[shotgun]
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
really, an AK would do great in its place, and to a police department, not too expensive. but an SKS is better than nothing, i bet the cops in iowa have a tube feed marlin .22 ( scope included at walmart)
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Seriously, a winchester 30/30 would do "just fine" if you are that far " behind the times" .........[sniper]
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#13]
AK 47 beats the 30-30 on capacity.  Same punch.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#14]
WAIT.....you said ak47.....this post is about "SKS"......what`s the deal?......
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess it's (SKS) better than nothing. I suppose the Feds are going to show up with M1 carbines next.

Must be a small county where the Sheriff's brother owns the only gun shop in town and swung a deal.

Must make do with what you have I guess...

Link Posted: 3/28/2001 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#16]
MAN,YOU GUYS ARE TALKIN` " ANDY OF MAYBERRY" NOBODY`S THAT GOD-DAMN POOR!!!!!.....[rocket]
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually, it does sound like the "police dept" where i work!!!!!.....[chainsaw]
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Many Departments wont allow officers to carry long guns other than shotguns.  Some only allow pistol cal. carbines (Marlin Camp Carbines, HK94's, AR15's in 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP, etc) .

If faced with a choice of an SKS or nothing, I will take the SKS.  If faced with the choice of an SKS or my Bushmaster M-4, I will opt for my M-4.  If faced with a choice of my M-4 or an M-2, I will take the M-2, oh no, I guess I have gone too far but I think you get the idea.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Actually, I commend the department for issuing such a NON-politically correct firearm.  I assume money was a big factor in choosing that particular rifle, and if I was working with the department I think I'd slip my Colt M4gery in the truck, but an SKS, that takes some balls!

Can you imagine the flak they will take, if and when one of their deputies has to use an SKS to take down a perp.  The news will say something like this "the deputy in question was armed with a russian assault-rifle similar to those which were banned from importation..."

When they start issuing the SWAT teams 5.45 FA Krinkov folders and the marksman Russian SVD Dragonavs, maybe then I'll apply for a job!
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Idaho + SKS = Upgrade from Spud Gun
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#21]
spud guns are on the batf assault weapons list.....[rocket]
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#22]
To be fair to them.

They are likely working with a limited budget.  If they had a requirement for a semi-auto, an SKS is cheap and reliable way to go.  The ammo is inexpensive, the gun is inexpensive, and the gun goes bang everytime and officer pulls the trigger.

Ya it is not American made, but if I were an officer and the choice was an SKS or nothing at longer distance, I'd sure be glad to have the SKS.

AR's are expensive, and in my opinion, I would take the SKS over the mini-14 which the Indiana county guys carry.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
really, an AK would do great in its place, and to a police department, not too expensive. but an SKS is better than nothing, i bet the cops i
n iowa have a tube feed marlin .22 ( scope included at walmart)
View Quote

"We are not that bad off in Iowa. I am issued an M14 aquired through the Division of Narcotics and a heavy barrel AR 15. Both very good weapons. We also have 870 shotguns and a couple of Mini 14s. SKS rifles , I cannot belive that. They are excellent functioning rifles, but not something I would want to have for a primary rifle."
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#24]
LIMITED BUDGET.....man, some of you guys have got to be KIDDING!!!!!....[grenade]
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#25]
SIAM, im glad to hear that. what are you, sheriff dept.?
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can you imagine the flak they will take, if and when one of their deputies has to use an SKS to take down a perp.  The news will say something like this "the deputy in question was armed with a russian assault-rifle similar to those which were banned from importation..."
View Quote

VERY good point.

i know its rare and usually resulting in not caring for the gun, but how about a slam fire on a perp. that would probably be enough to ban the sks from sale.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Mattsd,Yes I am with the Sheriff's Department. We are fortunate to have a pro-gun Sheriff. We can use any rifle we want, If we buy it ourself. The county owns the mini14's but the AR"s are personally owned.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#28]
And the well informed media would call the sks a "ak47 assault rifle"...just like they usually do!......[beer]
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Although we have to purchase them ourselves, I have my bushmaster in the front, and my FN in the case in the trunk. It's to bad they didn't do their research before they jumped on the SKS.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Having been a peace officer for twenty years.........if I did not have the funds to purchase my own long gun of choice, I would welcome the SKS rather than have nothing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#31]
If I were king, there'd be an SKS in EVERY trunk.

And a chicken in every pot.

Link Posted: 3/28/2001 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I would take the SKS over the 870.
So it is old, the 1911 is older than anyone I know, and police departments sill authorize it.
I had never heard about that firing pin problem, scary.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Why not let the Deputies join the CMP program and get a Garand.

BMB
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mattsd,Yes I am with the Sheriff's Department. We are fortunate to have a pro-gun Sheriff. We can use any rifle we want, If we buy it ourself. The county owns the mini14's but the AR"s are personally owned.
View Quote

What County? I used to live in Iowa and did a lot of computer work for about 1/2 the counties in Iowa.

Aviator
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 1:15:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Some of you sounding off in this post evidently never served in law enforcement and have never had to try to pry funds out of the hands of those who write the checks for equipment...

As you can well imagine I am a long time fan of the AR-15 and feel that one of its configurations is ideal for a cruiser carbine.

As we who have served and fought for appropriations know, many times we have to supply our own tools sometimes if our departments will authorize such and so we use what ever we can afford.

An SKS or any long gun/carbine would have served the sherrif's deputy who traded fire with one the shooters at Columbine instead of his sidearm..... even a Ruger 10/22 would have been more effective that fateful day.

Whatever works and whatever is available... what's that saying - A bird in the hand....?

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 1:36:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I, too, am fortunate to work for a pro-gun sheriff.  In addition to the issue shotgun(Mossberg 500) in each patrol unit, we are authorized to carry our own AR-15 type or mini-14, if we wish and can qualify.  Deputies assigned to our contract (outlying) towns also have the option of an issue M-1 carbine.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top