Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2011 7:10:19 AM EDT
My son built this water bottle rocket. I filmed a launch with my new camera (Panasonic FZ100) in High Speed mode (220 FPS)

Here a regular speed (not with the new camera) launch. This is also before he put the fins and a little weight in the nose to stabilize it. It must go 800 feet or more. We don't launch in the back yard anymore!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Physics FTMFW!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#2]
He's built a shoulder fired model.  Will try to get some videop of it today.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I cant wait to have kids to corrupt/encourage
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#4]
When it's laser guided, I'll be impressed

Good height on that thing! Great job
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

When it's laser guided, I'll be impressed

Good height on that thing! Great job

Give him some time, he is going to NC State in the Fall for Aerospace engineering!
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Shoulder mounted version High Speed

Regular speed (HD)

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwfXwLE57sQ

Regular speed (HD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYTVZ7R1IU

Way cool!  

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow... Real high speed camera work on youtube, and not slowed-down "high speed" camera work. Props.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wow... Real high speed camera work on youtube, and not slowed-down "high speed" camera work. Props.

You ought to have seen the mini version mass produced in the late sixties........

I have witnessed near beheadings, minor amputations and much pain and suffering of 5 yo children by their wars.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Meh. A couple years ago, there was a video (On here) of a guy launching a bottle rocket out of his ass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwfXwLE57sQ

Regular speed (HD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYTVZ7R1IU

That ended better than I thought.

Looking at the first 2 videos I'm thinking. "If that were shoulder mounted the back blast to the face would be a problem and a huge design faill"
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You ought to have seen the mini version mass produced in the late sixties........

I have witnessed near beheadings, minor amputations and much pain and suffering of 5 yo children by their wars.

They were still around in the mid seventies. We had the common small ones that we used as part of "playing war" around the neighborhood. Then I found one that was twice their size and modeled off the Saturn 5 Rocket. That is when we started getting hurt.

Btw, their was a compressed air version around back then too. The rocket was rubber and you could compress the tubes from your shoulder. It was an awesome bazooka/RPG as well.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were still around in the mid seventies. We had the common small ones that we used as part of "playing war" around the neighborhood. Then I found one that was twice their size and modeled off the Saturn 5 Rocket. That is when we started getting hurt.

Btw, their was a compressed air version around back then too. The rocket was rubber and you could compress the tubes from your shoulder. It was an awesome bazooka/RPG as well.

I had the little hand held model in the 60s/70s, had a red plastic tip.  Thry would fly.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#14]
There's a portable pesticide spray rig that uses 2 liter soda bottles and a co2 bottle with a regulator.

1 liter of water with 1 liter of air space charged to 200 psi (iirc) is enough to spray small greenhouse plant trials.

Your application is different, but basically the same thing. Occasionally the bottle with rupture.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#15]
We made those in high school physics class.  We had to use two 2 liter pop bottles to create a rocket to launch an egg in the air and recover it without breaking it.  Bonus for distance away from launch site.  I remember helping out with the launches the year after i did it (had shop class).  A team of 2 cheerleaders who normally wouldn't care about this kind of thing, had theirs eject the egg perfectly at the top of the ascent and a north wind took it probably a quarter mile before almost landing on the highway intact.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Cool.  how did he get the water to stay in the aft end of the rocket on the horizontal version?
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Cool. how did he get the water to stay in the aft end of the rocket on the horizontal version?

They were dry shots, no water.  Got to figure out a splash guard somehow.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 3:59:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Bump for the weekday crowd
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 4:30:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I love stuff like this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool. how did he get the water to stay in the aft end of the rocket on the horizontal version?

They were dry shots, no water.  Got to figure out a splash guard somehow.

cut out a circular pattern from a clear tupperwear lid or just use a larger concaved plastic bowl and attach it around the shaft of the launcher.  This should direct all back blast away from the shooter.

Link Posted: 3/28/2011 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were dry shots, no water. Got to figure out a splash guard somehow.

cut out a circular pattern from a clear tupperwear lid or just use a larger concaved plastic bowl and attach it around the shaft of the launcher. This should direct all back blast away from the shooter.

Excellent idea!  Like an old funnel.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:27:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Bump,  because youtube made them revenue share!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top