Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2002 5:12:41 AM EDT
I want to be able to connect to my brothers PC from mine.  Like you can on a LAN, but I want to do it over the internet.  Is this possible?  I'm looking for an easy way for us to transfer & view files directly between computers.  Right now, we use AIM for file transfers, but it would be cool if he could type in my IP address and see whatever folders I set up as a shared resource.  Help!!

Edited to include info.  "Sorry bout that"
OS = Win2000 & Win ME
Both are using a Cable Modem or DSL
Both are using routers
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I think remote desktop connections are possible using MS Messenger in XP.

You could also setup an FTP server.  There are several FTP apps for Windows boxen.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Assume computers are not physically close or you'd be using ethernet or maybe wireless.  Solutions are in order of price/complexity/security.

Simplest would be for both of you to set up file storage on the web; you'll pay monthly for to do this on somebody's website.

Or, you can set up your own website with a password required to look at files.

Or, connect by PC Anywhere...you can look at files or actually control each other's machines.

Last, do a virtual private network (VPN).  [url]www.netscreen.com[/url]...look at model 5XP.  Very secure but about $500.  I've set up about 2 dozen in the last year & they work well.  Linksys and NetGear have less expensive versions, but I have not played with them yet.

-hanko

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#4]
For what you asked, probably the cheapest solution is buying a copy of PCAnywhere. Then you can just phone into and log to the other machine.

goodluck,

legrue
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Would be nice to know what operating system you guys are running.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Would be nice to know what operating system you guys are running.
View Quote

Definately would be nice to know.

Also, why type of internet connection are you guys using.  If you have a cable/DSL connection, are you using a router that acts as your firewall by using NAT?  If so, things are going to be a little tougher.

If you both use dialup, then your IP's will most likely change each time you connect to internet.  If you have a cable/DSL conneciton, and are not using NAT (which is NOT smart), then a connection between your machines is a piece of cake and you don't need PCAnywhere or other type of software depending on you OS.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a cable modem and he's using DSL.  I believe he's got Win2000 and I'm on Win ME.  We both are using routers.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#8]
OK, where in Colorado, or more accurately, how far away from Denver are you? (Sometimes things are easier set up than explained)
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Kar98, I'm in Colo Spgs.  This is nothing that needs to happen quick, just something neat to do.  Maybe we could get together for some plinking and comp work one day this summer.  I'll pay for your gas, lunch & ammo as payment for helping, Cool??
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, if you are both using routers that act as NAT, then you have to answer a very simple question:

Are you able to configure a static mapping on your router, so that it knows to pass certain port traffic from your buddies IP into your network behind the firewall?  Also, can you guarantee that neither your IP or your friends IP will ever change, because if either one changes you will have to reconfigure the static mappings.

If you and your friend can configure the static mappings on your router, then we have a place to start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top