Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2002 11:28:14 PM EDT
Just received this in an e-mail (3rd time)
"Dear All,

I received a message today that my mailbox is infected with a virus called jdbgmgr.exe.  It is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti-virus systems.  The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system.  It is sent automatically by the messenger and by the Address Book, whether or not you sent emails to your contacts.

Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it.

Do This:
1. Go to start, Find or Search option.
2. In the files/folder option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C drive (that's where I found it in my computer).
4. Click "find now"
5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe
6. Right click and delete it.  It will then go to the Recycle bin.
7. Go to the recycle bin and delete it there as well.
IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.  SORRY ABOUT THIS.  I'M SURE EVERYONE IN MY ADDRESS BOOK WILL HAVE IT."

Now I know absolutely nothing about what makes computers work, (women either for that matter) but seems to me if I was a computer geek that wanted to do damage to a bunch of idiots computers, I'd come up with a bogus virus alert that would get people to wipe out good files in their own computers. Now it's 2:18am and I've always been a conspiricy nut, just wondering if I should delete this file or not. I've already sent it to the recycle bin but before I screw up my own computer I thought I'd check with the experts[8D]?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have jdbgmgr.exe on my computer and I recently got a virus that I could not find (I don't have any anti-virus software)

This might be it...thanks for telling us, I have spent almost an hour looking for this f*cking thing.

before I delete it I too would like to know if it is an important file...my guess would be that it is a virus...most important files wouldn't be a teddy bear, but a person sending out a virus might do that to make it appear harmless.

So do I kill the teddy or not??? thanks again
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a hoax! Do not delete it. It's a standard Microsoft utility. Microsoft uses a lot of funny looking icons. I've seen several variations of this hoax (there are a number of obscure microsoft utilitys most people don't even know about)
Here's an idea, everybody who finds it speak up.

How about deleting some games you never play like command.com (NO NO JUST KIDDING  ;)

edited to add "I've been waiting for an opportunity to appear smart for my first post. I'm sure I'll step in it at some point so why not try to start out ahead?"
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]
It's some kinda java debugger or somethin i don't remember but do not delete it. Ive got it couple of my friends have it one of whom just reformatted his comp. for Windows XP so it's no virus.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a hoax! Do not delete it. It's a standard Microsoft utility. Microsoft uses a lot of funny looking icons. I've seen several variations of this hoax (there are a number of obscure microsoft utilitys most people don't even know about)
Here's an idea, everybody who finds it speak up.

How about deleting some games you never play like command.com (NO NO JUST KIDDING  ;)

edited to add "I've been waiting for an opportunity to appear smart for my first post. I'm sure I'll step in it at some point so why not try to start out ahead?"
View Quote

What will happen if i delete it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www3.ca.com/solutions/collateral.asp?CT=65&ID=1864[/url]

Wow I made that work the first time.
Anyway check it out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#6]
People who delete files out of system folders because of anonymous advice, deserve to spend many infuriating hours being talk down to by the tech support guy they called in desperation.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Confuscious(sp?) Say " Wise man learn from his mistakes, wiser man learn from other mans mistakes."

Joe say " Learning is good, better when you lucky and fall into wiser man category."
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:53:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Anybody have an idea how I can delete the virus on my computer?  Whenever I use msn messenger it sends out some text and a link to the virus.
I tried deleting messenger and then downloading it again but it is still there. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone else know solarpimp??

Results for: jdbgmgr.exe

2 results found, sorted by relevance    hide summaries   1-2  

Symantec Security Response - Jdbgmgr.exe file hoax
Symantec Security Response encourages you to ignore any messages regarding this hoax. It is harmless and is intended only to cause unwarranted concern. ...
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/ jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html - 14.6KB - United States  92%
Find Similar

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top