Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2002 8:48:47 PM EDT
I was at a local park earlier today when I noticed a group of 8 "arabs" who showed up in several different cars.  They seemed to be in their 20's and 30's and went to a remote area of the park where they stayed for about an hour and then left. No women or children were ever with them.  I managed to get close enough to hear them speaking arabic and they seemed rather uneasy that I was that close.  I couldn't really give specific descriptions of them (cause they all basically looked the same)
but I did get all their license tag numbers and car descriptions.  Would you send this in on the FBI tip sight?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]

I think you just did [i]{he says into the overhead lamp}[/i] [;)]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
That's profiling dude! [:O]

Could you live with yourself if something happened and you said nothing?

Make the call.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
did you call the FBI yet?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Do it!  Just to be on the safe side call it in.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was at a local park earlier today when I noticed a group of 8 "arabs" who showed up in several different cars.  They seemed to be in their 20's and 30's and went to a remote area of the park where they stayed for about an hour and then left. No women or children were ever with them.  I managed to get close enough to hear them speaking arabic and they seemed rather uneasy that I was that close.  I couldn't really give specific descriptions of them (cause they all basically looked the same)
but I did get all their license tag numbers and car descriptions.  Would you send this in on the FBI tip sight?
View Quote

I would.  I know there are people out there that will scream, "That's racial profiling!"  To which I reply, "Damn right it is.  Get over it."

If people in this country who are of arab decent want to get pissed off at someone over the extra attention that they are now receiving, they need to get pissed off at those who planned and perpetrated the attacks on our country on September 11th.  They are the ones who screwed it for everyone else.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Most certainly!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Were they playing sports or just standing in a group talking?

Were they Arabic or Indian?

We have a ton if immigrants from India around here, they are not Arabic, they look Arabic, but they have that very distinct (7-11 owner) accent.

If you are sure they were Arabic, and they were not engaged in any normal activity people do at the park....I would most definitely phone it in.  But if you want credibility...don't say "They look alike to me!!" The FBI will just think you are a hoosier redneck.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
All the arabs here hang out at this gas station right across fromt the airport/air national guard.  I dont buy gas there.

I would most definately call the FBI.  Should have called immediately upon seeing the meeting.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's profiling dude! [:O]

Could you live with yourself if something happened and you said nothing?

Make the call.
View Quote

like Attman said, what if a month from now there is a bombing in your area; even if it wasn't them, you would convince yourself that it was and you did nothing to prevent it.  That's one hell of a "What if..." to live with.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
8 Arabs in Jerkwater Oklahoma?

Get the flock outta here.......

The morning of OKC I told anyone who would listen it was NOT an Arab...They would stand out like a sore thumb....

"If" there were 8 Arabs in all of Oklahoma, they are probably trying to figure out where to move for their own safety.

[:K]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Those guys are probably members here on their way to the BRC a little early.[:D]
They probably want to learn from other members  about the AR15 from the butt end of the gun, not the barrel end like they are in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Better play it safe, take the AR down there and ambush them, better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All the arabs here hang out at this gas station .
View Quote

How unusual!!![:P]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you hear the words ,man thats good stuff.

Any smoke coming out of the car?   Man you just screwed up a good rush!

If nobody got shot I would guess they were just enjoying the park.

Bob    [8D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Tin foil hat alert.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Are you for real? Some guys are talking in the park so you call the FBI? Take a deep breath and think about how that conversation would go. "Uh, yea I saw these guys in the park and they looked "shifty" go arrest them and see if anything is up."

Lame, lame, lame, lame, lame.

No offence but calm the hell down.

edited cuz I can't type.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tin foil hat alert.
View Quote

Your probably the same guy who would have said "Tin foil" hat alert pre 9-11, if someone would have suggested terrorist would ram two fully loaded jet aircraft into the WTC huh?

Get a grip, my ass!!! WAKE UP!!!
It's not matter of if.....its a matter of when!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tin foil hat alert.
View Quote

Your probably the same guy who would have said "Tin foil" hat alert pre 9-11, if someone would have suggested terrorist would ram two fully loaded jet aircraft into the WTC huh?

View Quote

Hindsight is always 20/20. Geez, and people called me paranoid.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Being a little paranoid is a good thing. Being paranoid to the point where your sitting in the corner rocking, with your AR on your lap.......that's a little different.

Unfortunately because of Sept.11, we as Americans should be a little paranoid. It can't hurt calling in anything suspicious. You never know, fireguy may have called in these guys plate numbers and got a hit. They may be the next group.....chances are there not but.....
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#21]
make the call.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Supposing the persons in question are completely innocent and the resources spent investigating them instead of other leads delays or even prevents the detection of a real terrorist plot, would you be able to forgive yourself?

I honestly believe that one of the reasons you are even considering calling the FBI is because it costs you almost nothing.  If you had to pay for the investigation out of your own pocket (let's suppose sufficient reward money would come your way if the tip pans out) you wouldn't really go ahead with calling them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:08:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Supposing the persons in question are completely innocent and the resources spent investigating them instead of other leads delays or even prevents the detection of a real terrorist plot, would you be able to forgive yourself?

I honestly believe that one of the reasons you are even considering calling the FBI is because it costs you almost nothing.  If you had to pay for the investigation out of your own pocket (let's suppose sufficient reward money would come your way if the tip pans out) you wouldn't really go ahead with calling them.
View Quote

Nah... All the FBI would do is, run the provided plate #'s to see if they matched anyone on their "Watch List". It would take about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:15:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nah... All the FBI would do is, run the provided plate #'s to see if they matched anyone on their "Watch List". It would take about 5 minutes.
View Quote
Go find a private eye and pay him to run the plates then.  Don't bother the FBI with this.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:58:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Just post the plate #s here, someone will run 'em....[:D]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:07:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

I'd call. As previously mentioned, the FBI will just run the tags and go/nogo from there. No harm, no foul.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:10:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong.  Report the suspicious.  Otherwise you could be doing harm by not doing anything.  Could you live with yourself?  See, works both ways.  And the FBI etc are there to follow leads.  Leads they get from their sources and leeds they get from civilians.  

View Quote

But he does pay, with taxes.  Why should he have to pay them when they are doing what their job entitles.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:36:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Contact the FBI, then also send the tags and info to the Israelis Embassy...They will take care of them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:57:51 AM EDT
[#29]
All I want to know is which park???

I have children that play at one of them.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:58:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tin foil hat alert.
View Quote

View Quote

Be careful or he may try to get a grip on your ass. [;-)]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:30:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I was in a "remote area of the park" and someone "managed" to get close enough to me to hear what I was saying, I'd probably appear uneasy as well.

But if you actually suspect something, there is no reason that you should second guess yourself.  Either you suspect something or you don't.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:32:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Damn straight!

I'd have gotten the license plate numbers and called in anonymously. Given them a code so they know it's me if I called back.

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I agree that the behavior you describe seems unusual, but you're the only one who can make this choice because we can't look through your eyes and have all that input for the decision.

If, in your mind, the most reasonable explanation for the episode is that something [b]bad[/b] was going on, then you should turn the plates in to the FBI.  Something as simple as this could have prevented 9/11.

On the other hand, if there is any other reasonable explanation for what they were doing, I would have reservations about calling.  If I went down to the 'hood to meet a couple friends (assume there is a good reason for the choice of meeting place), I wouldn't want the FBI snooping around me because we happened to be the only pasty-white faces in the area.  Remember, it's not that big a step to ratting out your neighbors and co-workers for "unpatriotic" activities.  I would lay money that the FBI will retain those plates in a file somewhere just in case they come up again.  Could conceivably affect someone's visa, especially if it happens more than once.

So go do the right thing based on everything you saw.  If you really believe that there is cause for alarm, call the FBI.  Otherwise, practice a little respect for other people's privacy.  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:05:37 AM EDT
[#34]
[url]https://www.ifccfbi.gov/complaint/terrorist.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#35]
In light of their demonstrated and stated intent toward violence, all Arabs are suspects!  Call 'em in; maybe they will be hassled enough to go home and make us several units closer to being rid of ALL of them!

Profiling?  Of course!  Was it 90 yo whiles that did the WTC?  Hell, was it Africans?  No, it was Saudis, so behave accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Make the call. It'll take the FBI all but an hour to grab the DMV/reg info on the vehicles.

If they are not on the 'watch list' - nothing will come of it. But if they are, you might just give the lead which prevents the next 9/11.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Did you know that 99% of all criminals that are apprehended are because of tips from concerned citizens? If cops had ESP, they would place the winning bet on the ponies/ballgame and retire in style.

Make the call.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Why not just ask the FBI if they want the information.  Let them decide.  Maybe they would want to take a look at the place they were at, so be ready to diagram or map it if possible.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
In light of their demonstrated and stated intent toward violence, all Arabs are suspects!  Call 'em in; maybe they will be hassled enough to go home and make us several units closer to being rid of ALL of them!

Profiling?  Of course!  Was it 90 yo whites that did the WTC?  Hell, was it Africans?  No, it was Saudis, so behave accordingly.
View Quote

And remind me who did OKC again???
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wrong.  Report the suspicious.  Otherwise you could be doing harm by not doing anything.  Could you live with yourself?  See, works both ways.
View Quote
It does work both ways; exactly what I was getting at.
But he does pay, with taxes.  Why should he have to pay them when they are doing what their job entitles.
View Quote
He only pays approx. 1:260,000,000 of the cost of checking out his suspicions, the rest of the cost is paid by other people.

I'll simplify my advice.  If you would wager money on these men actually being terrorists, then go ahead and call the FBI.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Call!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Update: In an attempt to avoid profiling those guys too much on here I didn't put in my orginal post that I did get a good enough look at them (by way of retreiving a very overthrown baseball) to know that if you put their pics up with the 9/11 hijackers you couldn't tell the difference.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought our Country was at war.  I actually wasn't going to turn the tags in but on the way home I heard on the news that they think there is a credible threat against a nuclear power plant on July 4th.  Also, reports may have about 20 radical terroists sneaking into this Country as stow-aways on ships.  After hearing this I turned the tags in as soon as I got home.  Let the FBI decide if it's important or not.  Think it would be important in the trial of zacharius moowsowi if they would have been able to place him with the other hijackers because someone had turned in some car tags that showed them all together at one time? Oh, and I also forgot to add that on one of the cars I think the front vanity plate said "Imbroglio" (we're on to you!).
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

The fact that you are asking means you felt uneasy about something. Make the call. If they are fine upstanding citizens they have nothing to hide.

On the other hand, they could be bad guys planning something. Better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#44]
It's a good question.

I had a similar situation, where I saw a bunch of guys going into this one building, and staying inside for a very long time.  Some were standing around in the parking lot and just talking to each other, and seemed to be carrying cases and boxes that looked like they could have had guns in them.  Some wearing camoflague, and they were milling around and talking quietly to each other, from what I could tell when I went by the front door.  When I walked by, I got kind of freaked out because there were guns all over the place!

I wasn't sure what was up, so I followed a couple when they went out to this place that looked like a gun range.  They were firing weapons and practicing their shooting... I got very nervous because so many of the guns looked like the ones our military uses.

What should I do?  Do you think these guys are a threat to our national security?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#47]
DUH!! Yes...

You just never know!!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Whoa Nellie.....I live in Oklahoma....What town do you live in Doc629?

Should me and Benny0001 start loading more mags?

This is Oklahoma after all.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top