Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2002 5:44:07 PM EDT
Due to all of the rains this weekend, we had a mudslide at the shop.  Well, Grin decided to pull out the garden hose to spray the mud away, when I noticed what appeared to be a dead rat partially buried in the mud, so he tried to spray it out of the way...  The damn thing started to squirm a little, so I hollered for him to stop, while I waded out to rescue it from the mud before it suffocated. When I got closer, I noticed it was a baby something, and it's eyes were not even opened yet!

Being the kind hearted animal lover that I am, I scooped it up and closed my hands around it, to attempt to warm its freezing little near-lifeless body.  I took this poor thing inside and filled the sink with luke-warm water, so as to slowly warm it up and wash the mud of of it...  After about 3 water changes ([i]each being a bit warmer[/i]), it really started to come to life!

While I was literally bathing it, Grin rounded up a couple of towels, and then we took it back to the office, where I found a small box and built it a nest with a bunch of clean shop rags.

A couple of hours later, it was chirping and moving all over the place, so I began to handle it more...  Well, she is an adorable baby groundhog that now lives in my house!

My wife was more than a bit irritated when I came to pick her up from work, and told her we needed to go shopping for formula, pediolyte, cage, etc...  Cathy was less than amused, but after handling this little fur ball, they bonded.

After a hearty meal and a good strong pee, she's now sleeping soundly in her new home.

[img]http://www.castle-arms.com/pix/gh-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.castle-arms.com/pix/gh-2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.castle-arms.com/pix/gh-3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.castle-arms.com/pix/gh-4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I forgot to mention that she is missing 1 toe, and her tail has been severed by something. These are both old injuries and are nearly healed up!
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]

totally sweet rodent

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
That's one cute little furry!
What's his/her name?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
first let me say that I in [b]NO[/b] way mean what I am about to say..... but I cant hold it anylonger...

Is there going to be a raffle on who will be able to take a shot at the new [b]BRC[/b] Masscot....{after its over of course)
[sniper]

Damn I couldnt help .,....

Its a cry for help I tell ya....

edited to add**************

well if there is going to be one heres my buck for the ticket...

[RED]voices in my head:[/RED]
cluster...  get away from the keyboard.
[RED]the other voices in my head:[/RED]
[b]NO[/b]!!!!, yOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO .... YOU NOT MY DADDY...!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
That is one of the cutest damn things I ever saw. Are you gonna try and keep it? Were there any others you turned up? I too am a huge animal lover, I have rescued so many animals it crazy. My fiance thinks its cute that I even pullover on city streets to rescue toads stuck in the center from getting flattened.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]
How did you get it to wear the glasses?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#8]
What is this?! I thought I was going to see 100 dead groundhogs at a hunt, instead we've got some long haired Kalifornia love freak kissing a rat! Tee-ball that rodent if you can't hit it out of the air!
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
LMAO!
BrenLover
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#10]
T-ball the rodent tickets-----$5
Shot the rodent at 50 yards --$5
Fun at the [b]brc[/b]---------$priceless$
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey dammit, that "rat" is the most adorable little thing! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude,
in you state that may be considered a fur bearing animal and it may be illegal for you to keep it.  check local game laws.  hat to see you get busted for being nice.

ps. it is a cute rat.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
BeeKeeper, i've been there! My fiance and I, well, I, rescued a LARGE snapping turtle in the middle of Rt 17 in the process of the rescue I realized I locked the keys in the trunk of my car when retrieving the snow brush to prod (actually roll him end over end) him along into the swap along side the road. After that I call my parents to bring extra keys that arrived an hour later. My fiance bought me a stuffed (teddy bear kinda stuffed) turtle as a reminder of the day that sits on my gun cabinet.

To this day i will go out of my way to rescue animals more than I would for the average person.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Gee, Tim, everybody's always saying you're a real hard-a$$.  Looks like you're just a softie at heart. [:)]

Watch out or PETA will be looking for you donate.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I would see if there is a local nature or wildlife center that would take it so it could be shown to kids.

How does psyco-cat like it?

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#18]
N*ble deed Anti. My *ey*b*ard **it w*r*ing.. Y*u d*ne g**d..

-T.

Ble** y*ur *eart..[:)]

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been in touch with a close friend in Ohio that is a Nationally licensed wildlife rehabber, and since I've worked with her for years, I fall under her license...
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
...her tail has been severed by something.
View Quote

- most likely the rabid skunk that tore her parents apart.

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Around here we shoot groundhogs.  They are big time pests (if you own cattle or horses) and just as prolific as rats.  They are pretty cute though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey man.  I think it's a badger  "We don't need no stinkin' badgers!!"
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#24]
And here when I talked to you on the phone today when you told me "You had to take your baby groundhog to the vet", I thought it was a code for something else. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#25]
A friend has a baby G-Hog. Bought it in Las Vegas, where they will sell you anything. His eats G-Hog pellets, carrot tops, spinach, greens etc. It's cute. Softer than a hampster. Almost tame. Likes to burrow anywhere. Won't sit still for five seconds. But...he can bite like hell when agrivated.

Yip-yip
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Whistle Pigs,Turtles damn im gettin hungry.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

[img]http://www.castle-arms.com/pix/gh-4.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Keep your mouth off the rodent.  It's not a bratwurst.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:11:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Cute little sucker!  I don't think I have ever actually seen a baby groundhog.  Hmmmm, you would think growing up on a farm I would have..oh well.

Mike,

That turtle would have been good eatin'!  

However, now that you have it in your pond just think of it as a target.  You can take the 50 out the sliding glass door and wait for him to pop his head up [:)]

medcop
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:03:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Awwwww....it's so cute!  I'm proud of you, Anti.  I've raised a lot of orphaned babies in my life, everything from bats to possums, but never a groundhog.  I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only softie in this group.  

Good luck to you with the bottle feeding and all.  Are you going to keep her, or let her go when she's grown?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:55:05 AM EDT
[#30]
About an hour after I spoke w/ my wildlife rehab friend last night ([i]11:30[/i]), she began wheezing really bad, and was expelling mud from her nostrils, so I knew that it could be a difficult night for her. I woke up to feed her at 2:30am and found that she had just died, probably within 15-20 minutes earlier.  It broke my heart!

This will certainly NOT be the last time we try to save injured and/or orphaned animals, because, those of us with hearts big enough to share with the critters, always will continue, no matter how difficult is when they die on you.  Obviously I'm not telling you you guys  anything that you don't already know.

Oh well, at least she didn't die cold, muddy and alone... [:(]

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:15:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:33:25 AM EDT
[#33]
We buried her out by our pond right after I made the last post earlier this morning...  

Cathy is quiet and somber this morning, as she was affraid this would happen from the beginning, since the last critter we took in was a hatchling Mallard, that seemed to recover nicely, and then died after 2 days.

Oh well, ya can't possibly save them all!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:36:37 AM EDT
[#34]
In retrospect, it really is ironic that we can be perceived as "ruthless killers" by the libs, but we're actually quite the opposite...
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#35]
My condolences as well anti. I was refraining rather well from writing something in jest when I read the sad post. We may tease the heck out of each other over saving a rodent or turtle but most of us really admire the effort.

The libs. just can't seem to understand that hunting isn't about killing, but something much bigger. Hunters are more "back-to-nature" than the libs, and maybe that's what pisses them off the most about us.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In retrospect, it really is ironic that we can be perceived as "ruthless killers" by the libs, but we're actually quite the opposite...
View Quote

Your growing soft in your old age Anti. [BD]
c-rock
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Bless you for your act of kindness in trying to save a helpless baby...!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Speak for yourself. If that little ground-rat was found digging anywhere near my garden, he would have met up with either a hollowpoint or a nasty German Wirehair Pointer named Kelli (who managed to rip one in 2 last year, good doggie!)[;D]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#39]
ladies and gentlemen...
this falls under " act of god" therefore no one is going to get a refund on the:
T-ball the rodent or the shot the rodent tickets...

We [i]will[/i] however transfer anybody that bought those tickets into "beat the guy with the bigheart" tickets...

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#40]
This is a scam I tell you, a scam. That poor little rodent is going to end up strung up by his tail, swinging from side to side at the 400 meter mark at the BRC!

I can hear his little rodent screams now,

Eeeeeee  Eeeeeeeee Splat KerPOW
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
ladies and gentlemen...
this falls under " act of god" therefore no one is going to get a refund on the:
T-ball the rodent or the shot the rodent tickets...

We [i]will[/i] however transfer anybody that bought those tickets into "beat the guy with the bigheart" tickets...
View Quote

[stick]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#42]
kissing Rodents...Said Rodents expiring from respratory problems...huh, What was the Incubation period for Four Corners Virus (Hunta Virus) again?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top