Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2011 5:50:32 PM EDT
Just doing some Googlins. Pretty damned ingenious.
Project for this weekend.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20045284,00.html

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Oops, same Link

Saw that episode. Very clever.

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Usually a floor squeak is caused by a metal fastener rubbing the side of a floor joist.  It could be a nail, screw, or even a joist moving in a joist hanger.  I have used one of the floor squeak kits and in many cases it will work. but not always.  In may cases I have had to do some serious work to find and fix the problem.  When I ran a framing crew, my guys were always instructed to not scrimp on sub floor adhesive on the joists and even a squirt into joist hangers before placing the joists.  After gluing the joist hangers, I rarely had a problem.
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought the answer was get your wife off the floor and in the bed next time?

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

When I do that the bed squeaks !!
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I do that the bed squeaks !!

Theres a kit for that too!

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Usually a floor squeak is caused by a metal fastener rubbing the side of a floor joist.  It could be a nail, screw, or even a joist moving in a joist hanger.  I have used one of the floor squeak kits and in many cases it will work. but not always.  In may cases I have had to do some serious work to find and fix the problem.  When I ran a framing crew, my guys were always instructed to not scrimp on sub floor adhesive on the joists and even a squirt into joist hangers before placing the joists.  After gluing the joist hangers, I rarely had a problem.

Dammit. Don't say that. There's a finished basement under there.

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I grew up in hurricane alley, where everything has solid concrete floors. Squeaky floors are a good reason for me to GTFO and stay in a hotel till they tear that sucker down.
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I still have the kit I used back years ago.  Worked great but now I live in a ranch on a slab
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I still have the kit I used back years ago.  Worked great but now I live in a ranch on a slab
Got any screws left? Wanna sell it? I only need like 10 screws and the kit comes with 100.

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Got any screws left? Wanna sell it? I only need like 10 screws and the kit comes with 100.

IM sent
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
But what if you have hardwood floors?
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Follow the link from the This Old House site –– they have a hardwood kit and others.  Says it leaves a small spot the size of a finishing nail head which could be easily resolved.

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Walk along the edges.
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Walk along the edges.

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can have them all.  I checked what I have left.  One mounting tool, one joist finder, approximately 50 plus screws.  IM me a mailing address and I'll send everything to you.

FB

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no idea how many screws you need until you are done

If the only reason your floor is squeaking is that the subfloor is moving a little and rubbing a loose nail or whatever, this will get the trick done.  If your house is like mine and was built by drunk monkeys, it will take some radical steps going from both above and below to get things simmered down.

The real fun ones are squeaks that magically appear about 12 feet from where you stepped and are deviously hard to pinpoint.  So you need two guys, one jumping up and down like some sort of jerk and another one crawling around on the other side of the room on his hands and knees with his ear to the ground muttering to himself "now how in the fuck could this be".  

I finally gave up and decided my time was better spent sitting on the couch drinking beer in my underwear.  I'll make sure my next house is right, I'm done with this bitch.  I did get the living room and kitchen all squared away, but it was the master bedroom that pushed me over the edge.  It got to a point that I was staring down the barrel of a complete tear out and remodel.  That was the day I set down my tools and said fuck this.

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

When I ran a framing crew, my guys were always instructed to not scrimp on sub floor adhesive on the joists and even a squirt into joist hangers before placing the joists.  After gluing the joist hangers, I rarely had a problem.

If only there were more like you

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still have the kit I used back years ago. Worked great but now I live in a ranch on a slab

If the only reason your floor is squeaking is that the subfloor is moving a little and rubbing a loose nail or whatever, this will get the trick done. If your house is like mine and was built by drunk monkeys, it will take some radical steps going from both above and below to get things simmered down.

The real fun ones are squeaks that magically appear about 12 feet from where you stepped and are deviously hard to pinpoint. So you need two guys, one jumping up and down like some sort of jerk and another one crawling around on the other side of the room on his hands and knees with his ear to the ground muttering to himself "now how in the fuck could this be".

I finally gave up and decided my time was better spent sitting on the couch drinking beer in my underwear. I'll make sure my next house is right, I'm done with this bitch. I did get the living room and kitchen all squared away, but it was the master bedroom that pushed me over the edge. It got to a point that I was staring down the barrel of a complete tear out and remodel. That was the day I set down my tools and said fuck this.

The house was built in 02 and the only squeaks it has it just down the main hallway. Only about a 3ft X 10ft span and it only squeaks on about the second half of that. If I put 2 a foot apart in the middle of the halway on each joist in the length of the entire hallway I'll only use 25-30 screws or so I think.

I'm pretty sure from the sound of it it's a wood on wood squeak. We'll see soon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#19]
That kit works great.  I would reccomend putting scotch tape on the threads while going through carpet.  It only takes once to grab the thread and make a run in the rug!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#20]

I had an uncle who, prior to getting new carpet was determined to fix his squeaky floor. Armed with a box of screws and screw gun, he went into the room and everyplace that squeaked when he stepped got a screw in it. before long the floor was full of screws and no sign of stopping the squeaking!

Turns out it was his shoe that was squeaking!
We laughed our asses off on that one!
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Never knew anything like this existed...TAG!
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The product: http://www.123itsdone.com/
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I wish I could convince my apt complex to do this for the guy that lives above me.  The squeaking drives me crazy and keeps me up at night if the upstairs neighbor is walking around.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I did it!!1!

but my wood floor looks like hell....
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I had an uncle who, prior to getting new carpet was determined to fix his squeaky floor. Armed with a box of screws and screw gun, he went into the room and everyplace that squeaked when he stepped got a screw in it. before long the floor was full of screws and no sign of stopping the squeaking!

I LOL'd

Everyone has that crazy uncle
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Thats why I posted it. I thought it was pretty damn neat.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#29]
OMG!!!!  AWESOME, I need this for the BOL!

Would this work in a double wide?

Seriously!
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#30]
thanks OP....now I can fix my squeaky ass floors...drives me nuts when I walk across them....
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still have the kit I used back years ago. Worked great but now I live in a ranch on a slab

If the only reason your floor is squeaking is that the subfloor is moving a little and rubbing a loose nail or whatever, this will get the trick done. If your house is like mine and was built by drunk monkeys, it will take some radical steps going from both above and below to get things simmered down.

The real fun ones are squeaks that magically appear about 12 feet from where you stepped and are deviously hard to pinpoint. So you need two guys, one jumping up and down like some sort of jerk and another one crawling around on the other side of the room on his hands and knees with his ear to the ground muttering to himself "now how in the fuck could this be".

I finally gave up and decided my time was better spent sitting on the couch drinking beer in my underwear. I'll make sure my next house is right, I'm done with this bitch. I did get the living room and kitchen all squared away, but it was the master bedroom that pushed me over the edge. It got to a point that I was staring down the barrel of a complete tear out and remodel. That was the day I set down my tools and said fuck this.

The house was built in 02 and the only squeaks it has it just down the main hallway. Only about a 3ft X 10ft span and it only squeaks on about the second half of that. If I put 2 a foot apart in the middle of the halway on each joist in the length of the entire hallway I'll only use 25-30 screws or so I think.

I'm pretty sure from the sound of it it's a wood on wood squeak. We'll see soon.

I didn't forget you.  As soon as the PO is open on Tuesday I'll ship it out.  Sorry for the delay.

FB

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't forget you.  As soon as the PO is open on Tuesday I'll ship it out.  Sorry for the delay.

FB

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#33]
What if I WANT nightingale floors?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#34]
So a guy with the screen name Silence wants squeaky floors?
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Dude, it worked! Pretty well at least. There's still a few very small squeaks but they are on spots in between joists so there's really nothing I can do about those. Overall, it is 100 times better!!

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Dude, it worked! Pretty well at least. There's still a few very small squeaks but they are on spots in between joists so there's really nothing I can do about those. Overall, it is 100 times better!!

Thanks!!!

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I might add, the kit itself was better than I imagined. It had the joist finder, the tripod, screws and the driver. I thought my joists were on 24 inch centers but turns out it was 18". Without the joist finder it would have been a serious pain in the ass. Find joist, shoot one screw, then measure and double check.

Worked awesome. If you got carpeted squeakiness, I recommend the kit!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#38]
you can also use a galvanized casing nail and a nail set.  I use a 2/12 inch casing nail and drive it in until level with the carpet, then use the nail set to flush the nail with the plywood.  The small head on the nail leaves no marks on the carpet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Noted for future reference...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top