Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2002 4:13:51 PM EDT
[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020509/i/1020961238.3691028563.jpg[/img]

[url=http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/mil/g36/g36.htm] HK G36 Info[/url]

For more info on the G36 [url]http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/pages/military/wsysframeset.html[/url]

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I fired a local PD's FA G36 at the Firing Line in Athens, Georgia when I lived down there.  There is A LOT to like about this rifle.  If the M16/M4 were at a significant crossroads, the G36 would be worth looking at.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I didn't know the Germans were in Afghanistan. You got to give them credit. The first thing they did when they reunited was to vote whether to send troops into a foreign country. Some guys never quit. I wonder if they still goose step in parades.
View Quote

Yes, Germany was among the first of our allies to commit to sending troops in support of US efforts in the area.

You do know these guys are fighting in support of the US, right in there with our soldiers, against the assholes who attacked us on 9-11 right?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn now that looks like something troops would have in 2002! wait it is 2002 wonder if a Postban type will be coming to the US?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a target of opertunity, if I was a Raghead, even if I had a AK at 250m. and cannot spell, (Sorry H&K)
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn now that looks like something troops would have in 2002! wait it is 2002 wonder if a Postban type will be coming to the US?
View Quote

There already is a postban bastardized version called the SL8-1.

[img]http://www.hkpro.com/SL8-1.jpg[/img]

Ugly huh?  10 round mags only (not counting the pitiful SW butcher-job to accept AR mags), uncomfortable thumbhole stock and the 'fashionable' grey.

Here's a more fun pic of a beautiful desert camo G36K with a beta mag and Eotech sight.  And a MG3 in the background.

[img]http://www.hkpro.com/action7afghanksk36ksm.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Why is that a wide screen TV in his hands?

Hehe, forget who it was that commented that the HK G36 feels like holding a widescreen TV but I agree with the assesment.    Wasn't overly impressed with the way the rifle shoulders and the sighting arrangement(that TRI-sight or whatever it is).    Get rid of that goofball over-glorified carryhandle and put a nice flatop on there with something like an ACOG and backup sights and it might feel a little better, then there's the charging handle I don't much like.

The gun does have a little better ergonomics though, not overly great but a step in the right direction.   It's pretty gosh darned light too.     Isn't it just a rendition of an AR18 action design?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, the G36 operating system pretty much came straight from the AR180, although HK won't admit it.  IMO, the dual sight system is a little fragile for combat use.  The Hensoldt dot sight on top needs to have a much wider field of view, and the 3.5X scope needs greater eye relief.  One with good iron sights would be the ticket.  In my experience, they are much more tolerant of dirt and crappy conditions than the AR15 family of weapons.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I love it! The muzzle on the MG3 looks familiar!  They are still using the fleck camo...brilliant!  Funny, I think it was the Germans and the Japanese who stepped up right out of the box to help us after 9/11.  Finally joined the winning team!
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get rid of that goofball over-glorified carryhandle and put a nice flatop on there with something like an ACOG and backup sights and it might feel a little better, then there's the charging handle I don't much like.

View Quote

Think about the location of the cocking handle that goes 100mph when firing and you will remember why a flatop won't work in a G36.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I love it! The muzzle on the MG3 looks familiar!  
View Quote

The MG3 is basically the WW2 MG42 rechambered for .308 Nato.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:11:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:17:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I dont know if I`d have my head standing proud with all the pockmarks in the wall behind
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:43:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Hawkeye - I'm sure some of the fellas also are aware of this...

There is now a coversion kit (~$300)for the SL8 which replaces the magazine well and a couple other US parts which now allow the SL8 to accept AR magazines. Along with the G36 stock kits being produced, the SL8 has now become 'one' of my next wishlist items.

For some pictures of the SL8 to G36 Conversion, check this link out!

[url]http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:48:04 AM EDT
[#16]
rn45, your insightful comment is testament to our wonderful education system.  Too bad you never finished high school.  A good starting point to further your knowledge would be to try to find Germany on a map.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I love it! The muzzle on the MG3 looks familiar!
View Quote

Duh! About the only difference between the MG42 and the MG3 is the caliber and cadence. Ditto for the M60

Finally joined the winning team!
View Quote

Newsflash, Einstein, Germany joined the NATO back in 1955. The current German delegate to NATO is one Gebhardt von Moltke, btw, who succeeded Herrmann von Richthofen in that position.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Closest thing I'll every get to a G36 is playing rainbow six. That gun kicks ass in that game though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hawkeye - I'm sure some of the fellas also are aware of this...

There is now a coversion kit (~$300)for the SL8 which replaces the magazine well and a couple other US parts which now allow the SL8 to accept AR magazines. Along with the G36 stock kits being produced, the SL8 has now become 'one' of my next wishlist items.

For some pictures of the SL8 to G36 Conversion, check this link out!

[url]http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8/[/url]
View Quote

Some of the fellas are also aware this is a Special Weapons conversion kit that requires you to dremel tool out your receiver to make it fit.

We have also yet to see a firing version.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I've also fired one of the select-fire G36, but I wasn't all that impressed with it.  I really don't care for the site system (it seems fairly fragile to me, as well).  It was kind of neat, though, how the charging handle rotates to either side (which the M16 accomplished w/o any moving parts).  As far as the SL8 is concerned, it is way too expensive.  I guess I'll just have to stick with my AR's, thank you very much!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I fired a local PD's FA G36 at the Firing Line in Athens, Georgia when I lived down there.  There is A LOT to like about this rifle.  If the M16/M4 were at a significant crossroads, the G36 would be worth looking at.
View Quote

I was visiting family in Athens 3 years ago and I went to Franklins sporting goods. I believe thats the name of the store. Man that is the biggest amount of weapons I 've ever seen in one store. I'm thinking of going back there this fall.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Along with the G36 stock kits being produced, the SL8 has now become 'one' of my next wishlist items.

View Quote

No offense, but take a look over a HK-54.com and see the long line of bitching customers (if the threads haven't been deleted by Todd yet) waiting for the so called stock kit.

Folks paid in Feb, with the belief that the product was shipping that month.  Now there is still no solid info from Todd, who likes to threaten said customers about taking them off the wait list...
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I didn't know the Germans were in Afghanistan. You got to give them credit. The first thing they did when they reunited was to vote whether to send troops into a foreign country. Some guys never quit. I wonder if they still goose step in parades
View Quote

Yeah, their KSK (special forces). In fact they were in combat recently against the Taliban, the first time German troops were in combat outside of Europe since WW2.

Japan sent a battleship at the start of the war though it was only for "logistical" purposes.

Quoted:
The MG3 is basically the WW2 MG42 rechambered for .308 Nato.
View Quote

But a little lighter if he's able to carry it like that. [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top