Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2002 7:30:16 AM EDT
Middle East oil?

It is time we started voting with our dollars, a list of what companies to buy from and one to boycott would be a good start.

Who's got one?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Anybody?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#2]
You might want to start here, and see just where the oil comes from.  Then you can try and figure out who's selling it, and who's pockets you'd like to fill or empty.  It ain't easy...

[url]http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/petroleu.html#IntlProduction[/url]

[url]http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/25opec/anniversary.html[/url]

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How's this?

Companies that import Middle Eastern oil (for the period 9/1/00 - 8/31/01).
Shell 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco 144,332,000
Exxon/Mobil 130,082,000
Marathon 117,740,000
Amoco 62,231,000

Companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
Citgo 0 barrels
Sunoco 0
Conoco 0
Sinclair 0
BP/Phillips 0
This information is available from the Department of Energy.
View Quote

Wrong.  Urban legend.

That is why I suggested going to the DOE website and doing your own research.

[url]http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/nogas.htm [/url]

From that site:

Wrong again. The DoE tracks oil imports by company each month, and although the raw data are a little hard to follow (fortunately, the DoE also provides an explanation of their symbols), for February 2002 the totals were as follows:

CITGO is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the national oil company of Venezuela, so naturally most of its crude oil comes from there. However, in February 2002 CITGO also imported from Middle Eastern countries in the following quantities:

Iraq:    1,342,000 barrels
Kuwait:    437,000 barrels

Conoco imports primarily from Mexico, Venezuela, and Canada, and not from Middle Eastern countries. However, they are planning to merge with Phillips, which does import from Middle Eastern countries (see below).

BP imports from a variety of oil-producing countries, but in February 2002 BP North America also imported from Middle Eastern countries in the following quantities:

Iraq:    470,000 barrels
Kuwait:    415,000 barrels
Saudi Arabia:    2,123,000 barrels
Algeria:    3,853,000 barrels

Phillips also imports from a variety of oil-producing countries, but in February 2002 Phillips imported from Middle Eastern countries in the following quantities:

Iraq:    717,000 barrels
Saudi Arabia:    1,100,000 barrels

Sinclair imports from Canada, not the Middle East.

Sunoco imports primarily from Canada, Angola, and Nigeria, not Middle Eastern countries.

So, "doing the math" and multiplying these monthly figures by $30/barrel and projecting them over the course of a year, supporting only the companies listed above would still be putting $3.76 billion dollars per year in the coffers of Middle Eastern countries.
View Quote

The mind-numbing details of gas/oil importation are available here:

[url=http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/historical/2002/2002_02/data/import.txt]Click here for boring numbers![/url]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
No problemo...

I think the idea of a boycott on a personal level is very appealing, because it lets us feel like we're doing something.  Practically speaking, though, the oil we use comes from all over the world, and the best way to deal with that is through regulation of American businesses that profit from middle-east oil and through foreign policy, IMO.

hielo,
If you really want to hurt those in the middle east, why not just refuse to employ anyone from there or with family there, or have your medical business refuse service to or commerce with with those companies or people?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Dscott,

I can not in all good conscience deny anyone our medical care, (well, there are groups of people I could, but will never get the cahnce to).

As for businesses that produce something, I can't find any other than oil companies, I would like to find a list of pure home grown oil companies and only do business with them.  Everyone else gets boycotted.

I remember that Hess might have been all US oil, but I could be wrong.

Waiting for the definitive word.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top